Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637789 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4050 on: August 22, 2009, 02:34:26 am »

Well, Toady said he hoped to get peg legs and other prosthetics in.
At least with the brain, there's already an item ready for use, so he wouldn't have to add another.

Just to be clear, prosthetics are not going in for this release:

Quote from: Aqizzar
So, regarding crutches.  I wonder if permanently crippled dwarves will get canes, or lamed dwarves get peg legs.

Hopefully!  I don't think I have canes up anywhere, but I have a bloat for prosthestics, so something will happen sometime.  I'm not quite ready to take it on yet.  Splints, casts and crutches (and bandages and sutures if those items are maintained after application) will be a stepping stone toward other add-ons.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: August 22, 2009, 03:02:49 am »

Alrighty, there's something that's always bugged me.  I like to start fortresses in worlds without a living dwarf civilization, because I like the whole building a fortress over time via births, and I've noticed that children don't take the name of either their father or mother.  I'm wondering if in the next release there will be any changes to inheritance of names or if there is some cultural reason that's acting as a placeholder for now as to why dwarves don't have family names.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: August 22, 2009, 03:23:38 am »

Alrighty, there's something that's always bugged me.  I like to start fortresses in worlds without a living dwarf civilization, because I like the whole building a fortress over time via births, and I've noticed that children don't take the name of either their father or mother.  I'm wondering if in the next release there will be any changes to inheritance of names or if there is some cultural reason that's acting as a placeholder for now as to why dwarves don't have family names.

Dug this up from an ancient thread on that very topic:

It's true, due to sheer laziness there are no rules for name transfer.  If I do that, it'd be part of the civ defs and randomizable probably. 

Oh, and this too...

I'm afraid to see p/matronym based names once adventurers start having kids now that name entry is in.  My child would have had the F word!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:25:32 am by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: August 23, 2009, 01:39:41 am »

HOLY COW!!! I am finding it almost impossible to navigate the forums as there seems to be an indestructable wall of lag.

Anyone else having these problems?

Toady will likely have to complete Inheritance rules about the same time Adventurers can start having families, rather when it starts actually making a difference.

Edit addition: WHOA suddenly the lag is gone... Too bad I have to go to sleep.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:05:11 am by Neonivek »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: August 23, 2009, 03:47:36 am »

HOLY COW!!! I am finding it almost impossible to navigate the forums as there seems to be an indestructable wall of lag.

Yes... And no it's not over...

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: August 23, 2009, 03:51:16 am »

Name inheritance will be a kinda nice addition, and it doesn't seems that difficult to implement considering the work already done concerning families in world gen.

I mean, if I have to choose a "not really useful nor needed feature but easy / fun to write for Toady", I'll prefer to visually see families in my fortress rather than know that Urist McPeasant has a long, curly moustache or honey yellow eyes.

But maybe it's more difficult than it seems.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: August 23, 2009, 06:49:08 am »

I'm glad Toady is the one who writes this game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: August 23, 2009, 06:51:57 am »

Yes... And no it's not over...

Occasionally the forums seem to lag up, but this isn't real often and most of the time I don't have any problems.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: August 23, 2009, 07:28:36 am »

Name inheritance will be a kinda nice addition, and it doesn't seems that difficult to implement considering the work already done concerning families in world gen.

I mean, if I have to choose a "not really useful nor needed feature but easy / fun to write for Toady", I'll prefer to visually see families in my fortress rather than know that Urist McPeasant has a long, curly moustache or honey yellow eyes.

i'd rather know if mustard yellow beards run in the McPeasant family.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:54 am »

i'd rather know if mustard yellow beards run in the McPeasant family.

And if the beards are made of real mustard.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: August 23, 2009, 08:06:42 am »

"Mustard? Let's not be silly."

+10 bonus points for anyone who caught the maille joke in there.
Ten points! It's beyond me why anyone thinks "persian" weaves are hard to understand.

Ooh, arenatest mode. . . I'm reluctant to suggest adding in commands for materialbreath/firebreath and the like (special capabilities), whate'er you can do, but it would seem needed to fill out that mode at least, and if codebases are crossed enough, to advmode.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: August 23, 2009, 08:26:29 am »

Dug this up from an ancient thread on that very topic:

It's true, due to sheer laziness there are no rules for name transfer.  If I do that, it'd be part of the civ defs and randomizable probably. 

Oh, and this too...

I'm afraid to see p/matronym based names once adventurers start having kids now that name entry is in.  My child would have had the F word!

Your ability to find/remember things Toady said years ago continues to impress. :)

Regarding latest dev_now: Arenas for creature/combat testing sounds like an awesome idea. Modders rejoice. :)

However, if there's to be little gameplay/enjoyment in the new mode beyond mod testing at this point, I'd suggest making it not show up in the main menu unless toggled in the init settings or something. Making it semi-hidden like this wouldn't bother DF modders at all, but might help avoid confusing new players even further. :)

Magma man combat and armor distinctions sound awesome. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 23, 2009, 09:03:23 am »

Arena mode would require a new interface for selecting/levelling/equiping the combatants, unless the embark UI can be adapted adequately.

Suggestions:
-load/selection menu for saved arenafloorplans and gladiator 'groups'/individuals.
-'Paintable' arena plans.
-'build arena' interface so that working mechanisms etc can be included.
-more than 2 teams.
-provisions for battle psychology etc to be able to test future army arc stuff.
-a gladiator mode may become a fun consumer feature eventually*, so consider levelling, payment, buying eq and a 'save gladiator' option.
-Make possible to retire adventurers to the arena or make it a feature of Adventure mode to be caught by a civ and be cast into jail/arena.

Can't think of any other fun suggestions right now, but this should be plenty initially.

*Like melee mode in StarControl.

edit: versus mode! -Also form melee mode. rewrite code to allow two player-instances which are linked to two sets of re-assigned keymappings for control via a single keyboard. (next evolution will be networking it ;) )
editedit: To be clear: these are wild suggestions to make it funfun, in the far future not for immediate implementation. A stripped down DF test area would be awesome in itself. (and likely more usefull!)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:14:20 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 23, 2009, 10:40:06 am »

Calm down now, everyone.  Toady's intention for now clearly is a testing ground for modders and himself to test game balance without having to play hours and hours of games to ensure that ONE mega beast they added is as terrifying as they had intended.  A FANTASTIC addition, really.  I remember on the Age of Mythology forums when people wrote entire multi-dozen page threads concerning the kill/survival ratios of various combinations of units in the editor.  That is certainly not endemic to AoM, either.

Consequently, MMad has a brilliant idea there.  I'd support Areyar's ideas at a later time.

Here's hoping for a another green section by the end of the week.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 23, 2009, 11:09:36 am »

Good people of dwarf fortress, welcome to the arena!
Can the blue team's elephant possibly hope to defeat the yellow team's amphibious carp? Let's find out!
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 1065