Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638128 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3690 on: August 10, 2009, 02:39:18 pm »

[...]
Maybe there could be some sort of page giving an overall fortress description to give us the averages.

The Caves of Iron was founded in the year 10 by the dwarf Urist CleavedMoon.  The fortress extends across 12 levels and consists of 20 burrows.  The walls of this fortress are mainly microcline and some are engraved.  The fortress army consists of 37 dwarves in 8 squads.  The Champion of this fortress is Big McLargeHuge, who killed 8 goblins during a siege in the year 87.  The main export is olivine crowns.  The main import is Dwarven Rum.  The dwarves of this fortress are uncommonly rugged and stocky in build.  They are taller than normal and tend to be very lean.  Their skin is usually olive and their hair is on average copper.  They tend to have long, upturned noses.  They prefer to keep their beards neatly combed, their sideburns shaven and their moustaches in double braids.

I would then know that Urist McSparsebeard who is described as short, fat, uncommonly frail and with large ears, a braided beard and purple eyes is actually shorter, fatter and frailer than the rest of the fortress and, in addition to his large ears and purple eyes, likely has olive skin and a long nose.
[...]

Great idea.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: August 10, 2009, 02:41:22 pm »

Scars?

Anyways, I don't like the age of all these dwarves. I think younger dwarves should be more common, in a population-pyramid style.

Think of the death rate.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:22 pm »

[...]
Maybe there could be some sort of page giving an overall fortress description to give us the averages.

The Caves of Iron was founded in the year 10 by the dwarf Urist CleavedMoon.  The fortress extends across 12 levels and consists of 20 burrows.  The walls of this fortress are mainly microcline and some are engraved.  The fortress army consists of 37 dwarves in 8 squads.  The Champion of this fortress is Big McLargeHuge, who killed 8 goblins during a siege in the year 87.  The main export is olivine crowns.  The main import is Dwarven Rum.  The dwarves of this fortress are uncommonly rugged and stocky in build.  They are taller than normal and tend to be very lean.  Their skin is usually olive and their hair is on average copper.  They tend to have long, upturned noses.  They prefer to keep their beards neatly combed, their sideburns shaven and their moustaches in double braids.

I would then know that Urist McSparsebeard who is described as short, fat, uncommonly frail and with large ears, a braided beard and purple eyes is actually shorter, fatter and frailer than the rest of the fortress and, in addition to his large ears and purple eyes, likely has olive skin and a long nose.
[...]

Great idea.

I also like this, but would rather see it put off for a few releases, to give Tarn a chance to refine the descriptions a bit.  Make a thread for it in Suggestions :) .
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: August 10, 2009, 03:57:33 pm »

Scars?

Anyways, I don't like the age of all these dwarves. I think younger dwarves should be more common, in a population-pyramid style.

Think of the death rate.

Multiply those ages by about .56 and you'll get what is an equivalent Human age.  Dwarves on average live to be 160 or so.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: August 10, 2009, 04:00:26 pm »

Aside from the lack of hair color, I'm also having a bit of a hard time judging the shape of these dwarves' faces. We tend to think of people as having a certain sort of jaw structure: Someone might have a long face, or a round one, etc. I saw cheekbones and chins mentioned, so maybe what I'm thinking of is sort of an amalgamation of those, but I'm not sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

sparkbolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Creator of Net Gain
    • View Profile
    • Level Zero Games
« Reply #3695 on: August 10, 2009, 04:00:35 pm »

Even considering what a description of someone really sounds like, these example dwarfs do still seem kind of... stereotyped.
Maybe the adjectives should all be toned down in general. So things that are currently 'somewhat' aren't worth remarking on, and the new minimum variation is described as 'slightly'. Then still use mild qualifiers like 'fairly' further up the scale.

Or, might it be possible that you could choose the level of description you wanted in the init file? So you could change the parameters to [SHOW_BRIEF] or something, and go from Fugly Fortress to Functional Fortress once you had too many dwarves to make it worthwhile.

Gotta agree this should be the way to do it. The most sane way seems to be: Make a Civilization standard dwarf. Put this in the civ info somewhere, about what an everyday average dwarf from [whatever] civ looks like. In the descriptors, anyone that varies significantly from thisaverage gets those varied traits mentioned. This could cut the descriptions "bloat" down while keeping their purpose. Also agree that a quick capstone "is pretty/beautiful/ugly/etc" would be useful as a quick summary.
Net Gain: Corporate Espionage.
Cyberpunk Espionage Strategy by Level Zero Games!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: August 10, 2009, 04:46:29 pm »

and females have no beards...heresy!! ;)

Beardlesss dwarves?! That makes even less sense than freeze-dried water rations!  ???

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: August 10, 2009, 04:52:00 pm »

and females have no beards...heresy!! ;)

Beardlesss dwarves?! That makes even less sense than freeze-dried water rations!  ???

Agreed.

guyinthecrowd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: August 10, 2009, 05:45:42 pm »

Is there going to be some system where when a dwarf is born their surroundings affect their likes and dislikes. Like if a baby is raised by a family that lives in a room made out of orthoclase they from then hate the color yellow? Something like that.
Kill the babys. DO IT FOR SCIENCE

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: August 10, 2009, 05:56:33 pm »

I don't really like the idea of judging from the average, and only mentioning the main features. I mean, the descriptions are already sorted by greatest different from average to least different - just read the first couple of paragraphs and skip the rest.

If the game does go this way, I hope we can at least get a screen where I can see the whole thing.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: August 10, 2009, 06:01:45 pm »

Like if a baby is raised by a family that lives in a room made out of orthoclase they from then hate the color yellow? Something like that.

...if they had an unhappy childhood, and like it is they had a wonderful childhood?

It'd be cool if experiences could change it, too. Say, a dwarf who's attacked by a swords-gobbo having a chance to start disliking gobbos, and if wounded, swords(and maybe start liking traps and armour).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: August 10, 2009, 06:40:07 pm »

Scars?

Think of the death rate.

Dude... it's just a couple of random samples from the start of the fort

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: August 10, 2009, 07:14:02 pm »

I see the description thing is officially "green", but never the less, a few suggestions for whenever they're revisited:

I would prefer that the "His X A is Y" format be dropped in favor of the simpler "His A is X and Y". I find it scans better, and it's also more flexible. For instance you could then merge "His nose is somewhat upturned and somewhat broad" to "His nose is somewhat upturned and broad" without changing the sentence structure.

Another thing you could do to improve how the descriptions read is try and divide adjectives for each topic into to groups, (e.g. large/small or good/bad). Then when if a character has contrasting adjectives, use "but" instead of "and" between them. For example: "tall and stocky" vs. "quick but frail".

And personally I think all of the descriptions should relative to other dwarves. This might cut down on the perceived ugliness somewhat, since what sounds freakish to us might be normal for a dwarf.  The exception would be if at some point it became possible to read the description of other people in adventure mode, then descriptions show be relative to average for the PC's race. So if you're a dwarf, everybody else looks tall, etc.
Akur Akir Akam!

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: August 10, 2009, 07:22:19 pm »

I see the description thing is officially "green", but never the less, a few suggestions for whenever they're revisited:

I would prefer that the "His X A is Y" format be dropped in favor of the simpler "His A is X and Y". I find it scans better, and it's also more flexible. For instance you could then merge "His nose is somewhat upturned and somewhat broad" to "His nose is somewhat upturned and broad" without changing the sentence structure.

Another thing you could do to improve how the descriptions read is try and divide adjectives for each topic into to groups, (e.g. large/small or good/bad). Then when if a character has contrasting adjectives, use "but" instead of "and" between them. For example: "tall and stocky" vs. "quick but frail".

And personally I think all of the descriptions should relative to other dwarves. This might cut down on the perceived ugliness somewhat, since what sounds freakish to us might be normal for a dwarf.  The exception would be if at some point it became possible to read the description of other people in adventure mode, then descriptions show be relative to average for the PC's race. So if you're a dwarf, everybody else looks tall, etc.

If you're a dwarf everybody else doesn't look tall. Only if you compare them to dwarves. I think most people are perfectly capable of looking at a cat and saying "that cat is rather plump" instead of "OMG! You only weigh 12 kilograms! You're anorexic! I must run you to the hospital immediately!" Most people (and dwarves) can also understand that the average height of a giant is going to be a bit taller than they themselves likely are. I don't think there's anything wrong with the cognitive dissonance necessary to handle the concept of a "short giant" (who is nonetheless more than 6 meters tall or whatever).

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: August 10, 2009, 07:36:49 pm »

What I think he means is that
what is a dwarven 'very long nose' may be a 'normal length nose' to an elf,
just because dwarves generally have stubby, broad noses and elves narrow long ones compared to humans.
(I hate humans, they are so average!)

Or not, this is just what is accepted norm in fantasy, actual norms depend on the raws naturally.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 1065