Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578464 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #3720 on: August 11, 2009, 10:21:47 am »

Probably not there yet, but is there any plans to make the rope/ladder system that allows dwarves to climb into a lower area only a temporary solution for getting down?  For example could it take damage every time a dwarf uses it or prevent hauling making the player have to replace the rope eventually with more permanent constructions?  It just seems silly to me to have a flimsy rope ladder as a heavily trafficked permanent route in a fortress.

You'll notice that rope ladders are basically the only bulletpoint left under map features in the Big Dev List.  Given Toady's desire to get this version fixed up and out the door, I'm betting that any new constructions like ladders or dangling ropes, especially anything with complex interactions, will be put off for some later Constructions cycle.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: August 11, 2009, 10:24:14 am »

Never mind the above - Cyclopes are only interesting in that regard because I've never seen one personally. If I'd grown up in a world where they existed and could be found if you went looking for them, I wouldn't be taken aback by his size, the same way I'm not taken aback by the shortness of my friend's terrier.
Counterexample: anyone looking at giraffes at the zoo.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:00 am »

Quote from: Petr Ga
I know you regularly deny help with coding from other people, but what about raw files etc?

Isn't there some monkey's work, that can be done by other people? Like formating, comparing, spellchecking, doublechecking etc?

I don't want to tell I have plethora of time, but if I there is something I can do to speed up next version, I want to do my best!

Nothing that will speed up the next version, but anybody that wants to fill in material values I couldn't find is welcome to help out.

Can anyone elaborate on what is meant here? I'm willing to help out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: August 11, 2009, 10:29:14 am »

Can anyone elaborate on what is meant here? I'm willing to help out

Well Toady released the Raws a while ago and for some of the values he actually didn't know what to put for it so he just gave it a random value.

For example what is the Torque strength of Pearl? Elasticity of Pig Iron?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:00 am »

So, about the crossbows that briefly chopped people in half.  Does this mean an end to the "magic arrow" (two ears cut without hitting brain, both lungs pierced with a shot from the front etc)?  Are body parts being calculated in a different way, or will it still be done in a similar way?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: August 11, 2009, 11:20:42 am »

Quote from: Toady One
...though during a brief time while fixing that the crossbows started shooting me in completely half (because the contact area was being miscalculated -- it was more like they were firing giant saws or something).

For at least a brief time, the mighty crossbow continued it's utter domination of all warfare.

Quick, somebody draw a buzzsaw launcher!

I actually have schematics for a theoretically feasible circular-saw launching crossbow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not if you spin it along the forward axis. The spiral grooves in guns make the bullet spin and make it more stable in it's flight path, or something.

Edit: Actually, if you use a combination of magnets and a rail gun, this would be feaseable, but outside the tech level of DF.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:23:16 am by smjjames »

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 11, 2009, 11:35:35 am »

You'll notice that rope ladders are basically the only bulletpoint left under map features in the Big Dev List.  Given Toady's desire to get this version fixed up and out the door, I'm betting that any new constructions like ladders or dangling ropes, especially anything with complex interactions, will be put off for some later Constructions cycle.

Probably no complex interactions, like you suggest, but there might be something simple at least, since Toady just recently commented on it:

Quote from: smjjames
Anyways, what's the status on the rope/ladders/suspended elevators/etc, especially for large open spaces?

It hasn't been decided yet.  There will probably be something basic put in.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 11, 2009, 11:36:36 am »

Quote from: Toady One
...though during a brief time while fixing that the crossbows started shooting me in completely half (because the contact area was being miscalculated -- it was more like they were firing giant saws or something).

For at least a brief time, the mighty crossbow continued it's utter domination of all warfare.

Quick, somebody draw a buzzsaw launcher!

I actually have schematics for a theoretically feasible circular-saw launching crossbow.

Not if you spin it along the forward axis. The spiral grooves in guns make the bullet spin and make it more stable in it's flight path, or something.

Edit: Actually, if you use a combination of magnets and a rail gun, this would be feaseable, but outside the tech level of DF.

Forward rotation is different from spiral rifling rotation.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 11, 2009, 11:37:27 am »

I'm sure you get what I mean though.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 11, 2009, 11:38:10 am »

Probably no complex interactions, like you suggest, but there might be something simple at least, since Toady just recently commented on it:

Quote from: smjjames
Anyways, what's the status on the rope/ladders/suspended elevators/etc, especially for large open spaces?

It hasn't been decided yet.  There will probably be something basic put in.

True.  It wouldn't surprise me if Toady went with a simple place-holder, like altering stairs so they can be built downwards hanging from one segment to the next, or something like that.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 11, 2009, 11:50:38 am »

I thought part of the point would be to prevent animals from climbing it. Primates and other animals capable of grasping a rope with hands could definetly be able to climb it, but realistically a horse wouldn't be able to.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 11, 2009, 11:57:42 am »

I thought it was ropes and ladders because those are physically possible, while building a staircase downward into open space is not.  Which would hardly be the first law of physics DF breaks, but it would get the job done.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 11, 2009, 12:07:02 pm »

The staircase construction makes sense, but the d option doesn't really.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 11, 2009, 12:24:12 pm »

If you remember Battlebots, this actually came up a few times.  There were a lot of bots with saws that did squat because you had to hold a saw on the target for a lot longer than was actually feasable.  Then there were other bots that looked similar, but were uses more like a helicoptor rotor, using the spin to build up momentum for protrusions on the edge to give a big smack.

Those were always my favorites.  None of this flipping crap, I wanna see an arena full of bot parts!
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 11, 2009, 01:35:43 pm »

Don't forget bot chunks.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1065