Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635667 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #2625 on: June 20, 2009, 10:44:29 am »

I don't think any suggestions about this have been mentioned yet, but:

Quote from: The Dev Notes
The ill-named burrows

What about "boroughs"? ;D

Yes, hence "ill-named."  I think it was an awful pun right from the get-go.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: June 20, 2009, 11:51:57 am »

Would it be possible to assign borrows in areas you haven't mined out yet?  For instance, let's say that I want to find a magma pipe which I know is on the map, but it's quite a way away from my main fort.  Could I assign a big borrow in an area where I want to dig, and get haulers to take food/ booze there for the miners?  It would be preferable to have unskilled haulers running back and forth to the mining area than my miners spending all their time running back to eat/ drink.

I am pretty sure he mentioned that you could assign a burrow to an area with a mining designation so that only your legendary miners would mine it, if it has a vein of something.

Which means implicitly, yes.
Yes, but say I'm trying to mine out a big area, in order to find something.  Would I have to reassign the burrow repeatedly?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 20, 2009, 01:06:47 pm »

If you do world param mods, reducing rain and shrinking the forests should control your elf problem somewhat

Thanks for the advice though I don't really find it personally problematic so much as it is somewhat rediculous in concept.

((opps I sent this...))

Edit Addition: I am glad Toady is putting limits on the amount of destruction the players can do. As much as I know people enjoy killing off their nobles, Immigrants, Peasants it kinda drove me nuts that as far as the game was concerned it was all fair game. I know you put some things in the Devs as well (such as Nobles taking people with them when they die) but I am glad to actually see you take it further.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:53:52 pm by Neonivek »

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: June 20, 2009, 02:02:45 pm »

I don't think any suggestions about this have been mentioned yet, but:

Quote from: The Dev Notes
The ill-named burrows

What about "boroughs"? ;D

Yes, hence "ill-named."  I think it was an awful pun right from the get-go.

...wait, so the burrows name was a deliberate inverse of my suggestion?

Now I just feel kinda stupid :-[
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: June 20, 2009, 05:36:47 pm »

The one-miner-per-burrow idea just inspired me. MINING RACES.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: June 20, 2009, 09:37:45 pm »

I just noticed in my game that military dwarves don't use assigned dining rooms, making all the work I put into making dining rooms for all my military dwarves useless. Could you add an option like the sleeping options whether to use a dining room or not?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: June 20, 2009, 10:02:23 pm »

I like that idea. Having assigned dining rooms for squads could tie nicely in to military cameraderie. 
For they would be your masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 20, 2009, 11:23:47 pm »

I love having burrows named burrows. Just for laughs, when we get to Human Town Mode they should be called Boroughs.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 21, 2009, 12:39:44 am »

And Goblin dark fort Borrows. ;D
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:33 am »

Are we going to be able to have persistent workshop orders in the new version? so we can 'r'epeat and then 'p'ersist an order?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 21, 2009, 09:43:17 am »

Seems unnecessary to me-you can use the manager to do something similar, and the constant job cancel spam you would get at times might end up causing major lag. That, and workshops on R get really cluttered-which slows down production. I mostly use it for things like booze, ammo, and only very early on for things like furniture and the like.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 21, 2009, 11:12:23 am »

Seems unnecessary to me-you can use the manager to do something similar, and the constant job cancel spam you would get at times might end up causing major lag. That, and workshops on R get really cluttered-which slows down production. I mostly use it for things like booze, ammo, and only very early on for things like furniture and the like.

Well, instead of canceling the orders then, couldn't they suspend them for x seconds/minutes? I bring it up because I though I read Toady saying something about dwarves were going to suspend more things rather than cancel them.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 21, 2009, 07:17:39 pm »

*quietly slips in a request for an "auto-render fat" option that would work just like the "auto-tan hide" option*

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 21, 2009, 07:23:38 pm »

All I want for christmas is a "do job A when output of job A is below N" option. That's it. It'd handle pretty much everything that annoys me.

(Of course, there are details. Like the output of a "create a barrel" job is specifically empty barrels.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 21, 2009, 08:27:21 pm »

This question just came to me in another thread, so here it goes. I can't remember if it's been answered before, but I don't think it has

Will there be practical limits on just how high attributes can go in the new version? And what will determine these limits? For example, if two creatures are exactly the same, except one has a bigger 'increases with strength' (or whatever that tag is) layer, will the second creature be able to be far strong than the first? And how will it work with mental attributes?

EDIT: Remembered another question

In the current version, if an entity has a king (or similar) they act as one big nation (like elves), but if they only have site leaders they act more like a series of city states (like humans)

I was wondering, if in the new version you had it so a nation could only be ruled by a specific rare caste, would they revert to city states until another king candidate was born? Or would they just keep acting the same, sans king?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:38:39 pm by LordNagash »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 1065