Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630205 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #285 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:51 pm »

I could see Fire Snakes having a "venom" which induces fever and mouth injuries when eaten, if possible.

Apparently their "venom" will do straight up thermal damage: "The venom in the current version are already added to the creature and remain there for whatever the duration is, but it doesn't check temps on them.  I'm hoping to do that this time around so that fire snakes can be proper and the "liquid fire" extract can be more wholesomely amusing when dwarves are bitten." (from NFotF thread)

Hmm. Well, if said extract still operates when they eat fire snakes, that could lead to dwarves developing ironclad stomachs or just boiling from the inside out.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 05, 2009, 01:32:30 pm »

Firesnakes the dwarven Chilli!

It we get poison do we to get the chance to poison an to heavely wounded dwarf to end his pain? An the suicides could be also work with poisons.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 05, 2009, 01:46:51 pm »

everyone likes drinking songs. The US national anthem wouldn't be the same without them.

Yessssss, someone else who knows. ;D 8)

Firesnakes the dwarven Chilli!

It we get poison do we to get the chance to poison an to heavely wounded dwarf to end his pain? An the suicides could be also work with poisons.

Poison is no death for a noble warrior; decapitate him with a single stroke! If you have to strike twice you dishonor yourself!
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Kintak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 05, 2009, 02:36:06 pm »

I gotta say, it was more fun to watch the numbers count down than to watch words turn green. :<

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 05, 2009, 03:44:48 pm »

I gotta say, it was more fun to watch the numbers count down than to watch words turn green. :<

Eheh, I am more pleased with the new method to be honest, but ah well.. :)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2009, 04:04:23 pm »

Poison is no death for a noble warrior; decapitate him with a single stroke! If you have to strike twice you dishonor yourself!

Read: Will there be morality around poison?

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2009, 05:19:17 pm »

TL;DR: Alcohol and drugs should be weak poisons, poison effects should be created for them should be usable by creatures, poisons should be turned into general substances and allow positive effects as well as negative.

Perhaps dwarves could have a natural resistance to alcohol, allowing them to drink hardier brews than elves or humans. Perhaps dwarven ale could kill a human upon consumption.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 05, 2009, 05:23:45 pm »

Will there be morality around poison?

I think there is a stigma around using poisons in real life but not really a moral question.

Though I am surprised no one has suggested having Alien Blood or Saliva count as a poison/disease under normal circumstances.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:30:37 pm by Neonivek »

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2009, 05:45:17 pm »

Hey wait why only creature? What about artefacts? Some Artefacts could have an own will. They could wisper to you, control your body, or give you additional abilitys like nightvision as long as the like you.

A sword that actually possesses you when you go berserk in battle, replacing your mental attributes and skills with its own would be very, very interesting.
And that is the kind of magic sword I can support. Fireballs and "laser" shooting and "suddenly able to cut anything even though it's made of bone" - that is silly.
Substituting its will for yours... has some vile appeal to it.

... What if the person possesed dies? Will the artefact throw a tantrum?

Alcohol is also an Mitosis-poison (which i didnt see on the list yet) and manipulates the Enzyme processing of the cells. Mitosis-poisons slow down and stop normal growth which would explain an dwarves stature.

Dwarves drinking aeons ago and due to this evolving into booze-resistant creatures, that has being short as a side effect? Awesome.

I wonder if you could make creatures with poisonous skin... or poisonous meat; DON'T EAT THE GIANT FROGS, DWARVES! DON'T DO IT! NOOOO!

Perhaps it will be possible to create creatures like those. [Venon/Contact poisons] So if the outer skin layer is = given poison type, the skin of the creature should be poisonous. Well perhaps Toady could give us a proper answer, because I am just guessing. I am not sure that a poison can act like a skin layer at all.  :)

It would be QUITE neat if you kill it with, say, a sword and some of the poison forming a light covering on the sword. Like the blowdarts with frog poison.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2009, 06:07:06 pm »

So, now that we've got proper material temp handling, will we see steam come back as a possible weapon source?  While most of the time steam isn't going to hurt a person, a pressurized blast of magma-vaporized water would certainly cause pretty severe burns.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:15:09 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2009, 06:10:36 pm »

So, now that we've got proper material temp handling, will we see steam come back as a possible weapon source.  While most of the time steam isn't going to hurt a person, a pressurized blast of magma-vaporized water would certainly cause pretty severe burns.

And videogame/actionmovie style hallways where at regular intervals steam blasts up from the floor.
Of course, this wouldn't be complete without giant pendulums and rolling boulders.

IDEA (I'm probably not the only one) Playing pinball with a boulder(/kitten) and a set of drawbridges. (Goblins are the pins.)
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2009, 11:23:09 pm »

On the subject of silver and werewolves, the fair-folk are susceptible to iron. Gnomes, gremlins, satyrs, and foul blendecs qualify in my opinion.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2009, 11:35:07 pm »

So, now that we've got proper material temp handling, will we see steam come back as a possible weapon source.  While most of the time steam isn't going to hurt a person, a pressurized blast of magma-vaporized water would certainly cause pretty severe burns.

And videogame/actionmovie style hallways where at regular intervals steam blasts up from the floor.
Of course, this wouldn't be complete without giant pendulums and rolling boulders.

IDEA (I'm probably not the only one) Playing pinball with a boulder(/kitten) and a set of drawbridges. (Goblins are the pins.)

You know what must happen now.

STEAM HALLWAY.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2009, 12:58:15 am »

On the subject of silver and werewolves, the fair-folk are susceptible to iron. Gnomes, gremlins, satyrs, and foul blendecs qualify in my opinion.

By the way only to "iron". Steels are said to be less effectiv.
Fairys, Elfs, Dry-, Ny- and Oreade (Tree, water and stone Nymphs), selky, kelpy and Black dogs are in the family of the shy-folk iirc.

For elves it would explain why the use wooden weapons.

Sartyrs are more greek/roman.

Salt iirc was belived to work against Ghosts like the banshee (cointact-poison?).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2009, 03:51:43 am »

By the way only to "iron". Steels are said to be less effectiv.
Fairys, Elfs, Dry-, Ny- and Oreade (Tree, water and stone Nymphs), selky, kelpy and Black dogs are in the family of the shy-folk iirc.

For elves it would explain why the use wooden weapons.

Sartyrs are more greek/roman.

Salt iirc was belived to work against Ghosts like the banshee (cointact-poison?).

Isn't salt bad for zombies as well?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 1065