Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635191 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14535 on: March 17, 2010, 09:40:03 pm »

The downside is you miss out on bones from corpses.  But even if you went around manually clearing the dump order on corpses to keep the bones, it's still faster than doing everything manually.

In the stocks screen mass undump the bones.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14536 on: March 17, 2010, 10:12:12 pm »

Cats don't have beards, because cats have fur.

Spoiler: Oh yeah? (click to show/hide)

To make this more on topic, I wonder if the cats (and other animals) in the next version will have as much variety as the dwarves in their hair and the like.

For that matter, has it been mentioned how traits like that are passed along?  Do children get their appearance from their parents directly or is it more randomly generated?

That's probably been answered, but not since I've been watching this thread.  And at nearly 300 pages (on my forum settings), it's a little much to read back through.

Holy Smurfs that cat has a beard! *Dorfs worship it like a god*

Slightly off topic, I would love to learn how this community stole "Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!" from Warhammer.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14537 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:54 pm »

Holy Smurfs that cat has a beard! *Dorfs worship it like a god*

Slightly off topic, I would love to learn how this community stole "Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!" from Warhammer.

I can't speak for everyone on this, but I like to think they stole it from us retroactively with the use of a time machine. Failing that, I'm sure the quote originally belonged to some long forgotten cult anyway.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14538 on: March 17, 2010, 10:17:44 pm »

just wondering if anybody knows (b/c i havent seen anything on this subject), are the dwarfs in the next version going to notice that their flesh is burning when set ablaze or is that whole feature going to be left alone?
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14539 on: March 17, 2010, 10:18:43 pm »

just wondering if anybody knows (b/c i havent seen anything on this subject), are the dwarfs in the next version going to notice that their flesh is burning when set ablaze or is that whole feature going to be left alone?

Dorfs on fire are still zany.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: March 17, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »

You're looking at it the wrong way. Not why do we have beards, but why did we lose all our other hair?

Some have indicated prolonged contact with water at some stage in our later history, generally speaking, as a possible explanation for the hair "loss". Apparently the shape of the nose is supposed to back up this theory, since it's more suitable for activities in the liquid element, than the solution currently exhibited by our hairy friends on the sides of this specific evolutionary tree.

--- 

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: March 17, 2010, 10:38:48 pm »

You're looking at it the wrong way. Not why do we have beards, but why did we lose all our other hair?

Because it's harder to shed heat when you're covered in fur.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14542 on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:14 pm »

Actually, while I'm sure that was a contributing factor, I believe it was because humans were very dirty when we had fur, and this led to many parasites living in the fur. Unlike monkeys, we humans didn't pick them out and eat them, and so they often caused infections or spread other illnesses. Thus, those humans with less fur lived longer, produced more, and eventually most of our fur disappeared. I think I read this in national geographic, but I could be wrong.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14543 on: March 17, 2010, 11:01:52 pm »

Saw the docu Becoming Human today and that was the main theory they purported. Didn't catch why we managed to keep things like pubic hair (which always confused me), head hair made sense in colder climes, and thick hair growth on the body is connected to testosterone in humans (unrelated to the docu).
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14544 on: March 17, 2010, 11:02:56 pm »

Actually, while I'm sure that was a contributing factor, I believe it was because humans were very dirty when we had fur, and this led to many parasites living in the fur. Unlike monkeys, we humans didn't pick them out and eat them, and so they often caused infections or spread other illnesses. Thus, those humans with less fur lived longer, produced more, and eventually most of our fur disappeared. I think I read this in national geographic, but I could be wrong.

That leaves the question of why we didn't just keep up the grooming behavior.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14545 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:51 pm »

That leaves the question of why we didn't just keep up the grooming behavior.

It also raises questions as to why the same didn't apply to all the other dirty, hairy animals out there.  :P

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: March 17, 2010, 11:13:25 pm »

Will the wiki link in the DF executable be updated?

Also,

What up the Scamps™?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: March 17, 2010, 11:16:58 pm »

Saw the docu Becoming Human today and that was the main theory they purported. Didn't catch why we managed to keep things like pubic hair (which always confused me), head hair made sense in colder climes, and thick hair growth on the body is connected to testosterone in humans (unrelated to the docu).

From my understanding its body temperature regulation and before human lost the ability to do phomena some of that to.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:01 pm »

From my understanding its body temperature regulation and before human lost the ability to do phomena some of that to.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but here's a side-note:

Humans have been incredibly good hunters because they hunted through endurance hunting. They simply could chase animals for so long that the animal would become exhausted while the human could keep going. We managed that through temperature regulation--we sweated and we had very little body hair. Without that fur, we would not overheat and dehydrate and all that bad stuff.

As far as pubic hair goes, I have no idea for females, but I speculate (only speculate) that pubic hair might have stayed on men, potentially and partially, to help keep the epididymis warm so that sperm didn't die. I learned in high school health classes that sperm needs a remarkably regulated temperature to stay alive and so I'm guessing some sort of link from that to pubic hair.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:04 pm »

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but here's a side-note:

Humans have been incredibly good hunters because they hunted through endurance hunting. They simply could chase animals for so long that the animal would become exhausted while the human could keep going. We managed that through temperature regulation--we sweated and we had very little body hair. Without that fur, we would not overheat and dehydrate and all that bad stuff.

As far as pubic hair goes, I have no idea for females, but I speculate (only speculate) that pubic hair might have stayed on men, potentially and partially, to help keep the epididymis warm so that sperm didn't die. I learned in high school health classes that sperm needs a remarkably regulated temperature to stay alive and so I'm guessing some sort of link from that to pubic hair.

I would actually imagine it's unrelated; its persistence in women aside, they're already held out from the body to cool them and muscles in the scrotum can contract to bring them closer in order to warm things up if it gets too cold out.

Although, perhaps pubic hair lets the temperature be more evenly distributed from side to side (instead of being all warm on the body side and all cold on the other, I don't know if there's any significant difference that blood flow can't handle). Not sure on the physics there, that'd probably require testing I want no part of.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1065