Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634786 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14340 on: March 16, 2010, 11:24:09 am »

Are burrows single z-level, or can you make a burrow that is say 20x20x3?
I imagine they work kinda like making designations for e.g. mining or smoothing, that you can define arbitrary areas over arbitrary Z-levels. Only you can only see what area is inside a burrow when you activate displaying it.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: March 16, 2010, 11:27:01 am »

Sorry if this has already been answered (is there a consolidated resource with all of Toady's answers sitting around somewhere? On the wiki maybe?)

My impression is that even if they are single z-level, you could just make 3 of them on top of each other and assign dwarves to all 3 to get the same effect?

Perhaps they will be like workshops and multiple burrows can have multiple dwarves enabled for them.

However, then making your dwarves live in vertical tower-burrows would become very tedious.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14342 on: March 16, 2010, 11:34:23 am »

Hey Toady, i've heard you gonna make little fixes and additions after A release, so heres questions/requests, i'm particulary interested in minor code improvements that may be simple for you, but add drastic modding possibilities, and thus change gameplay.

Can we have tag for skill levels required for dwarf to be appointed? Appointed champion that must have legendary weaponskill looks fairly realistic. And can such a noble be required to create something in workshop?
Can we have tag for workshop to be constructed only on water source, as with magmabuildings(someone requested already, so i'll just second this)?
Can we have possibility to create sentient creatures(controllable in the manner of dwarfs) in workshop?

Creature templates are already here, so we(I) can mod in complicated golem system, wich for example requires appointed legendary engraver as runecarver. Than various runes can be created in mason's workshop/jevelry(or some rune-shop) by that dwarf, and various golems constructed in some kind of golem forge, with properties of the construction material and various types based on said runes.
Semi-sentiet creatures able only to fight/haul things could be very helpful with new "fog-of-underground" system and random-generated-beasts.
And that's just one example.

Also, i suppose that it can't be done without some rewrites, but anyway:Is it possible to make item able to alter/add tags of/to wearer?
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: March 16, 2010, 11:35:37 am »

I am positive I remember Toady mention that a single burrow can span multiple z levels.

However when I tried to steal Foot's thunder by finding the quote I failed.  I think he has the search function bribed to do his bidding, and anybody but him searching for an answer comes up with nothing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: ­
« Reply #14344 on: March 16, 2010, 11:42:32 am »

Do we know how improvised and thrown weapons are being handled in the new version? If I were to take an alligator's teeth and throw them at someone, would that be equivalent to them being bitten by and alligator? What if I smacked him with them?

I think this is a no. At least, the engine is not able to figure out what a dragon-tooth spear damage would be if you put a dragontooth on a stick. I belive its mass would be known, so it would be like throwing a spherical perfect-physics-world ball with the same mass as the tooth.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14345 on: March 16, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

What happened to the battering rams, and where are the siege towers? I want them here yesterday!  XD
What do you think the random spam is? Our ultimate weapon in the quest to reach page 1000.

the random spam is the foot soldiers, we need the page long rants(siege towers) and fast paced, fiery arguments filled with controversy (battering ram)
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ­
« Reply #14346 on: March 16, 2010, 11:48:44 am »

Do we know how improvised and thrown weapons are being handled in the new version? If I were to take an alligator's teeth and throw them at someone, would that be equivalent to them being bitten by and alligator? What if I smacked him with them?

I think this is a no. At least, the engine is not able to figure out what a dragon-tooth spear damage would be if you put a dragontooth on a stick. I belive its mass would be known, so it would be like throwing a spherical perfect-physics-world ball with the same mass as the tooth.

actually, spherical perfect-physics-world ball as keen as dragonbone with the same mass as the tooth
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: March 16, 2010, 11:49:00 am »

So, horns are harvestable now? Does this mean we can made reindeer horn toy hammers or something?

You can't harvest them in the non-lethal sense -- they don't fall off and regrow every year.  But in the lethal sense, yes.

My impression is that even if they are single z-level, you could just make 3 of them on top of each other and assign dwarves to all 3 to get the same effect?

You can do multiple z-levels, yes.  The burrows painter described in the dev log just lets you paint wherever you want.

No, they'll just act as blunt weapons.  Items and body parts only have sharpness in the context of an ATTACK tag block (in a weapon def or creature def), and once body parts are severed, they're no longer associated with that attack:

Quote from: Emperor Iones
Will I be able to rip and tear a GCS's venom-dripping fang and stab it with it to paralyze it?
Will it be immune?!

They don't drip, unfortunately, unless you make them work by secretion instead of a special injection attack.  If you did it that way...  I think that would partially work.  A sever transfers contaminants, so assuming the secretion, you'd get a venom-covered fang (hopefully not a contact poison or you have gloves on!).  However, I don't think the game would react correctly to using the fang as a weapon.  There's still not a strong enough notion of body shape -- it still works through attack properties, so the stabbing would be lost as things stand.  You'd be able to transfer the venom, but not as an injection.  The question of immunity is up to the raws.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:51:35 am by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14348 on: March 16, 2010, 11:54:47 am »

Yeah, I don't think the game currently tracks something like this. I don't, however, think that it's outside the range of possibilities - it would, after all, be as simple as adding a material property to the bodypart in question - specifically, an edge. The attacks currently define the edge size to be used, which also means you could make an alligator bash you with its teeth, but if we ever got proper merged item classes, we could define a "tooth" item that results from the severing of a "tooth" bodypart, and which has "bash" and "stab" attacks assigned to it, as well as the damage used for when the item is thrown.

edit: ninja'd by the Chief of Footkers.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14349 on: March 16, 2010, 12:21:18 pm »

I am positive I remember Toady mention that a single burrow can span multiple z levels.

However when I tried to steal Foot's thunder by finding the quote I failed.  I think he has the search function bribed to do his bidding, and anybody but him searching for an answer comes up with nothing.

I'm almost positive Foot has simply memorized the forum and all development pages.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: March 16, 2010, 12:55:08 pm »

This is a very fine forum thread.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  On the item is an image of a thread in forum.  The item menaces with spikes of tautology. 
On the item is an image of a toad and humans in raw adamantine.  The toad is speaking with the humans.  The humans are making a plaintive gesture. 
On the item is an image of a foot and a forum in elephant ivory.  The foot is striking a menacing pose. 
On the item is an image of a toad and bugs in dwarf leather.  The toad is surrounded by the bugs.  The toad is in the fetal position. 
where is up?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14351 on: March 16, 2010, 12:58:58 pm »

Whenever I see "Quote from: Somebody on Today at 09:48:15" I read it as "Quote from Toady" and then try to find his new post. :(

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: March 16, 2010, 01:03:26 pm »

Whenever I see "Quote from: Somebody on Today at 09:48:15" I read it as "Quote from Toady" and then try to find his new post. :(

same here.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14353 on: March 16, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »

same here.
+1
Finis sanctificat media.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:16 pm »

same here.
+1
+1  :(
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1065