Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634719 times)

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14355 on: March 16, 2010, 02:14:02 pm »

I would like to note my objection to random spam and off-topic posts just to get the thread to 1,000 pages.Thread derails are fine IMO, but I try to read every post in this thread to see if people answer my questions, and spammy posts just make it take longer.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: March 16, 2010, 02:15:25 pm »

I would like to note my objection to random spam and off-topic posts just to get the thread to 1,000 pages.Thread derails are fine IMO, but I try to read every post in this thread to see if people answer my questions, and spammy posts just make it take longer.
now this i can totally agree with. i just waded through about 6 pages of stuff trying to find info about the up and coming release, almost nothing.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14357 on: March 16, 2010, 02:23:50 pm »

The useful details (toady's replies), are linked from http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html. Reading this here, daily, seems to be mostly about community and pre-answering questions.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: March 16, 2010, 02:27:40 pm »

Hey Toady, i've heard you gonna make little fixes and additions after A release, so heres questions/requests, i'm particulary interested in minor code improvements that may be simple for you, but add drastic modding possibilities, and thus change gameplay.

We have a whole forum dedicated to requests.  It even has a "Small Suggestions Thread" for posting ideas that are perceived to be easy for Toady to implement.  Eternal Suggestion Voting is the most effective place to express approval for ideas that have already been posted as suggestions.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: March 16, 2010, 02:38:43 pm »

quote from Toady:
Nah, it's nothing like that.  The issues are all being worked on at once, roughly according to what I think are the worst ones.  I have some things I want to finish, and bad things crop up, but I've also been working on the old list.  The military/equipment bugs are the last issues I think I really really need to fix from the old list, and there might be a few things from the new list as well, though you'll just get to experience most of that yourself.  It's going to be a fairly dirty release.  That shouldn't come as a surprise to people that were around for the original or the first Z-axis release.  Newer players spoiled by the relative stability of 40d can either play or wait while we all sort things out in a series of quick releases, but I wouldn't expect something that works very well in all areas at first.

i am really glad that he's allowing a kind of dirty release. it will take me a few weeks to play around with certain fortress configs and explore the new features anyway. i can do these things with a buggy release.
if toady waited to release a clean copy, it would still take me few weeks to get a working fortress up anyway.

p.s. sorry about the quote, something wasn't working right.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: March 16, 2010, 03:32:57 pm »

Dang, only 40 or so more pages to go too 1000 pages. I remember a moderately sized portion of the forum saying that the release would be before that... ;D

Of course we have all been wrong on this cycle's release date.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: March 16, 2010, 03:40:10 pm »

I heard in a rumor that Toady One is surprised that everyone thinks he's so detailed about quality. ;)

I think it's because of Bay 12's slogan; people assume that beyond quality means even more quality. :D

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: March 16, 2010, 03:54:57 pm »

I heard in a rumor that Toady One is surprised that everyone thinks he's so detailed about quality. ;)

I think it's because of Bay 12's slogan; people assume that beyond quality means even more quality. :D

We are bay12games.  We do not care about quality anymore.  We produce things that transcend quality.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: March 16, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »

Is the future items list (core/req/bloat/etc.) up-to-date? Or will it be mass  updated after release? Or is it still maintained at all?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: March 16, 2010, 04:09:47 pm »

Is the future items list (core/req/bloat/etc.) up-to-date? Or will it be mass  updated after release? Or is it still maintained at all?

It sounds like it's going to be updated sometime after the release (emphasis mine):

Quote from: Areyar
Have you considdered that they will act as a 'deflecting armour' in wrestling when applied to a bodypart and that a floor covered with goo/blood/vomit will be more difficult to walk/run/fight/stand on because of it's slipperyness?

I haven't done anything like that yet.  It'll be fun to start getting into that sort of thing now that we have the new spatter system.  I have a ton of notes to put up, and you guys have also written up a bunch of ideas that I still need to read.  I'm hoping to mine the spatter/contam system for all it's worth over time now.  I'm certainly for having all sorts of clumsy troubles and nasty slippering sliming uncomfortable experiences as you slush all over the place.  Like the end of Caligula II.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14365 on: March 16, 2010, 04:28:04 pm »

I actually just looked over these earlier, and no, they haven't been updated - there's still 28 core, 181 req, and 40 bloat completed, which works out to 0.28.181.40[d]. Peculiarly, "Burrows" is one of the Bloat elements marked as "completed", even though they are not present in 40d - apparently, they were promoted to a Core item and the resulting Bloat item was marked as 'completed' anyways.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:29:36 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NoahTheDuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: March 16, 2010, 05:13:31 pm »

On the topic of Footkerchief:

I'm pretty sure, he just compiles in a text or word file every post made by Toady. Then, any time someone has a question about something already posted, he just searchs that file, which is a lot better than the in-forum search engine.

Or maybe he's set up a wiki, and interlinked everything? That'd be pretty crazy.

Noah

Oddtwang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: March 16, 2010, 05:23:24 pm »

Go figure...not only has Toady created a kickass game, he's found a way to implement universal free health care!  :D

Well it's long been known that Dwarves are heartily Communist.

Urist McSurgeon cancels store item in bin: Attending Death Panel

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: March 16, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »

On the topic of Footkerchief:

I'm pretty sure, he just compiles in a text or word file every post made by Toady. Then, any time someone has a question about something already posted, he just searchs that file, which is a lot better than the in-forum search engine.

Or maybe he's set up a wiki, and interlinked everything? That'd be pretty crazy.

Noah
If he'd set up a wiki, I'm sure we'd have seen it by now. Footkerchief isn't the kinda dude who'd keep that resource from people just to maintain his position as the go-to source for toady quotes.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: March 16, 2010, 05:26:40 pm »

well you can find every post made by toady if you click his name and go to show recent posts. Have fun sorting through years of brain stimulating responces. (I like my spelling :) )
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1065