Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634547 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14205 on: March 15, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »

If any part of the underground water touches a map edge, then it'll refill from that map edge, so you're likely to have infinite sources of water underground, yeah.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: March 15, 2010, 04:17:52 pm »

i guess so since toady has put in immigration for water-creatures thus i assume we get lakes with unending water. I also assume that UG rivers similar to OG rivers are not that far away. I say that rivers, lakes etc. extending into the ug isnt a bad thing. It looks thought as if they mess a bit with the placing of ug-features.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: March 15, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

This dev entry got me thinking about geysers, which would be the logical thing to happen when magma and water meet. One day maybe...
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: March 15, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

well the temp of floors and walls is already flagged so water that touches them could be made into steam. if toady changes the steam flow a bit we could get geysirs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: March 15, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »

ooh! if we could make steam, then there could be steam turbines! not that i want DF to go steam punk or anything but that would be really cool.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: March 15, 2010, 05:32:47 pm »

The thing though is that steam is usually at high pressure for steam turbines. owever, I don't see that stopping dwarves.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »

ooh! if we could make steam, then there could be steam turbines! not that i want DF to go steam punk or anything but that would be really cool.

The whole point about DF is that it is so Deep. There is no problem with DF going Steam Punk as long as you kept the possiblities open and allowed Players to use Steam punk or elements of steam punk IF they wanted to.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: March 15, 2010, 05:37:57 pm »

Indeed. All you need for a steam punk fortress are turbines that provide power in the presence of steam and a boiler workshop to turn coal and water into steam. The DF community will handle the rest.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: March 15, 2010, 05:42:37 pm »

The whole point about DF is that it is so Deep. There is no problem with DF going Steam Punk as long as you kept the possiblities open and allowed Players to use Steam punk or elements of steam punk IF they wanted to.
Could go with what Red Alert did: tech levels. Metalcrafting is tech level 3 while steam turbines is about tech level 6 or so.. Could even make specific tech levels in various types of technology, like metalworking, mechanics, botany..

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: March 15, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

Yea, Toady just doesn't want vanilla DF to get too steampunk, but nothing stopping modders from doing so if they wanted to.

This lake that extends into the caverns brings up a new biome type, subterranean lake and maybe ocean. Having a large body of water (lake or ocean) extend into the caverns creates a new potential danger from breaching an underground shootoff of said body of water and having the pressurized water flood all over the place.

@Tfaal: Depending on whats the most extreme thing we can do with the custom workshops, we might actually be able to make a boiler in the next release, somehow.... Assuming we can make the finished product show up next to the workshop, otherwise not sure.

@Uristmccheesmaker: Toady wants to stay the hell away from stuff like tech levels and tech trees.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:45:59 pm by smjjames »

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: March 15, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »

Where did this notion of Dwarves being steampunk even come from. Is it a Gamesworkshop thing, or did Blizzard do it?
Thank you based dwarf.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: March 15, 2010, 05:59:34 pm »

It's just a general convergence of nerdy interests. The fact that having all the gadgetry be steam powered is slightly more plausible for DF's timeframe than full on Sci Fi is just the icing on the cake.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: March 15, 2010, 06:04:54 pm »

Where did this notion of Dwarves being steampunk even come from. Is it a Gamesworkshop thing, or did Blizzard do it?

It's the natural evolution of the concept that Dwarves are advanced metalworkers, advanced metalwork = better technology = more advanced.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05:49 pm »

Not to mention all the mechanism stuff, which has so many possibilities. We have two power sources, but not alot of actual machinery.

The custom workshops will definetly help since we can choose to make them powered or not.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: March 15, 2010, 06:13:29 pm »

Not to mention all the mechanism stuff, which has so many possibilities. We have two power sources, but not alot of actual machinery.

The custom workshops will definetly help since we can choose to make them powered or not.

Well 3 if we get a workshop thingy that can produce energy by animals.

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1065