Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634408 times)

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14100 on: March 14, 2010, 10:14:51 pm »

There is only a short time left, at least as Dwarves will have it. All beard growing contests are off, the mountain itself goes silent, in anticipation.

---

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14101 on: March 14, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

Now that we have actual beards for dwarves, I would like a final verdict on something. Female dwarves: Bearded or no?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14102 on: March 14, 2010, 10:31:31 pm »

I would say bearded. I just can't picture any dwarf without a beard. It's like an elf not being a pansy.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14103 on: March 14, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »

I think they do have beards. I dunno why.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14104 on: March 14, 2010, 10:32:12 pm »

Let's see... lakes were extending underground... like way underground

Underwater caverns would be cool. Now we just need some diving equipment and a way to breathe underwater, either an aqualung or a potion of waterbreathing. Especially for adventurers.

Anyways, yea it sounds like its getting close. I'm trying to finish up the cleanup phase of my Big Dig and I need some more population so that I can get started on the green glass ziggurat. I already have a whole bunch of bags and alot of stolen *cough* deconstructed depot obtained *cough* cloth and leather, so I could make a whole bunch more if needed.

@Samoorai: Its toggleable, so if you want them bearded, just add the brackets, if you don't, just leave them without brackets, which I believe, is the default state. So it comes down to personal preference. Me though, unbearded females.

@Deadbeard: I hear elves will now have beards....

Edit: Of course though, I can easily create a platform of death where dwarves will fight to see who is the last survivor if I don't finish my ziggurat in time for the release.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:39:13 pm by smjjames »

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14105 on: March 14, 2010, 10:42:26 pm »

Yet another question: Will magma now heat up a fortress? Say, if it were pumped under the floor or behind a wall, would that actually heat the adjacent room, or will it still just be a designer aesthetic? And if yes to the previous, would a column of magma falling through the center of a large underground cavern give off heat and/or light enough to make any kind of difference? Or would it again just be an aesthetic, albeit an awesome one?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:56:12 pm by Samoorai »
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14106 on: March 14, 2010, 10:46:25 pm »

Yet another question: Will magma now heat up a fortress? Say, if it were pumped under the floor or behind a wall, would that actually heat the adjacent room, it will it still just be a designer aesthetic? And if yes to the previous, would a column of magma falling through the center of a large underground cavern give off heat and/or light enough to make any kind of difference? Or would it again just be an aesthetic, albeit an awesome one?

Magma already does heat some things.  If you have magma beneath ice with only a floor beneath the two, it will melt the ice.  Useful for getting a source of water on glaciers (if you have magma).
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: March 14, 2010, 10:49:38 pm »

Yet another question: Will magma now heat up a fortress? Say, if it were pumped under the floor or behind a wall, would that actually heat the adjacent room, it will it still just be a designer aesthetic? And if yes to the previous, would a column of magma falling through the center of a large underground cavern give off heat and/or light enough to make any kind of difference? Or would it again just be an aesthetic, albeit an awesome one?

Magma already does heat some things.  If you have magma beneath ice with only a floor beneath the two, it will melt the ice.  Useful for getting a source of water on glaciers (if you have magma).

Then how has heat changed, is ventilation a serious concern with fortress, can I somehow use this excess heat in a dwarven superweapon ?
Thank you based dwarf.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: March 14, 2010, 10:55:42 pm »

Excess heat is already in the game. It's called magma.  :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14109 on: March 14, 2010, 10:57:53 pm »

I don't think the temperature model has changed at all, except in some cases of materials directly interacting (e.g. combat).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14110 on: March 14, 2010, 11:02:05 pm »

Then how has heat changed, is ventilation a serious concern with fortress, can I somehow use this excess heat in a dwarven superweapon ?

As far as heat goes and ventilation, there is no concern. However, with the new gas stuff, it could become a concern. Only problem though is that there isn't any kind of fan or other method to push air around.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14111 on: March 14, 2010, 11:11:13 pm »

Toady scribes a message! (looks like a release is close)

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html
this link is two days old already! i need news!

There's a 3/14 update for me, try going there again and F5ing.
wow, thanks!

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »

I would say bearded. I just can't picture any dwarf without a beard. It's like an elf not being a pansy.

I feel similarly, but I find that imagining their hair to be done something like this bridges the gap:

Spoiler: animu (click to show/hide)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14113 on: March 14, 2010, 11:31:51 pm »

Okay, that is the new official female dwarven hairstyle, as well as the official hairstyle of dwarven boys too young to grow beards.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14114 on: March 14, 2010, 11:42:26 pm »

Wait....Spring break starts today...If DF comes out this week...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1065