Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634413 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14130 on: March 15, 2010, 12:52:13 am »

Why do we keep having this discussion? Dwarf Fortress dwarves do not have bearded women. This has been known for a while now, ever since Toady released the dwarf raws

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: March 15, 2010, 12:53:48 am »

Why do we keep having this discussion? Dwarf Fortress dwarves do not have bearded women. This has been known for a while now, ever since Toady released the dwarf raws

Indeed. The discussion ends there.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14132 on: March 15, 2010, 12:54:41 am »

I don't think we're discussing whether or not they do, canonically. I think we're discussing what it would be like if they did, or whether or not we'd like them to.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14133 on: March 15, 2010, 12:57:44 am »

Perhaps, but he did set it up to be toggleable.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59:04 am »

While this is all well and good, does anyone have a definitive answer to my magma question 2 pages back?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14135 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59:20 am »

Dwarves breathing fire is toggleable too.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14136 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59:53 am »

I think think that can be done, I think you would need to mod the raws for it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14137 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:43 am »

The last place I could find a mention within this thread of the following issue was page 50, but it bears repeating:

Will ore smelting be changed to always require coal fuel? As it is, in Real Life, Cinnabar is the only ore that can be smelted (into Mercury) using nothing but heat, while all other ores require a reducing agent, usually coke.
Naturally, we can't smelt that.
That's actually a good question. A friend of mine recently asked me "Is Dwarf Fortress heteronormative?" jokingly, but I seriously do wonder that.
Since 100% of creatures breed by spores, and 100% of sentients who marry do so monogamously heterosexually, I think the answer is yes. It bugs me.

On the other hand, because of the spores, can you really tell that no non-heterosexual acti'ity is happening without looking at the code? It's not like you're going to get e'idence.

Also, I can't help but giggle at the innocence of the community members.
What? Also, "The Red-headed League" called. Specifically, they called someone for work, who called a detective...
As much as I would love being able to designate an execution weapon. (Executioner's Swords anyone?)  I imagine [RESPONSIBILITY:EXECUTIONS] implies hammer use.
from link: "the earliest known specifically designed executioner's swords dates to ca. 1540."

Oops.
I am the milkman. My employer has hired me to whitewash what went on here. I make sure no evidence is left of anything, except for milk. I cannot rest until I have made my final delivery.
yes, Mr. Soak!
Literally every part of the food industry in DF is already broken, balance wise, so I don't see the issue here. The only way to solve it would be to rework almost every food item in the game into something inedible, and have a large number of those items then be required to make something edible.
Feed a fort only on trapped vermin yet? Or verminfish? I don't think they work anywhere near "broken" yet so I call shenanigans on "literally"
Assuming you have no fancy irrigation techniques for stone-layer farming, only the topmost layer will be soil, right?
Can be two.
Spoiler: a'ready co'ered (click to show/hide)
But Toady didn't set it up so you could do that with a measly two brackets.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:23 am »

Yet another question: Will magma now heat up a fortress? Say, if it were pumped under the floor or behind a wall, would that actually heat the adjacent room, or will it still just be a designer aesthetic? And if yes to the previous, would a column of magma falling through the center of a large underground cavern give off heat and/or light enough to make any kind of difference? Or would it again just be an aesthetic, albeit an awesome one?

Magma does currently heat up areas. Just not enough to make any difference. (except for the tile the magma is on)
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14139 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:28 am »

i can't decide on whether i would rather have dwarfettes bearded or no...
DnD they are not, LotR they are...

if female beards are toggleable, well, i have no idea what to do.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14140 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:34 am »

But Toady didn't set it up so you could do that with a measly two brackets.

Indeed, it only takes a measly, what, nine letters and two brackets?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14141 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:38 am »

My point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as bearded females go.

i can't decide on whether i would rather have dwarfettes bearded or no...
DnD they are not, LotR they are...

if female beards are toggleable, well, i have no idea what to do.

In WoW they aren't..... so thats 2 against one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:06:39 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14142 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:46 am »

Was half expecting a reply in the middle, so nm.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14143 on: March 15, 2010, 01:06:29 am »

My point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as bearded females go.

And my counter-point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as fire-breathing dwarves go.

Having a debate over the possibilities of modding the game is completely pointless. Especially when the question was "Do female dwarves have beards?" the answer to which being "No".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14144 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:46 am »

And my counter-point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as fire-breathing dwarves go.

Having a debate over the possibilities of modding the game is completely pointless. Especially when the question was "Do female dwarves have beards?" the answer to which being "No".

Not unless you make it so, then it becomes yes, at which point it becomes a philosphical debate.

I'm not going to carry on this 'argument' since I'm already on the side of no female beards anyway.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:09:34 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1065