Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634141 times)

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13950 on: March 12, 2010, 05:12:29 pm »

Regarding genetics and pouring maggots

This typing error immediately brought to mind a new field in dwarven construction - Dwarfcrete!  Carefully bred purring maggots produce an extremely sticky form of milk which, when mixed with the bones of goblins (for strength) and elves (for fun) produces a pourable substance that hardens soon after being set.  Carvable like cast obsidian, but with a base quality modifier, so even more ridiculously valuable architecture can be produced.  The only disadvantage is the lack of magma in the production process, but I'm sure Dwarven Science can find a solution for this.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: March 12, 2010, 06:03:50 pm »

It would be nice if they could just get the animals to follow them to a farmers workshop ala the kennel or what-not.

Yeah, you'd think he could just cannibalize the butcher/kennel code.  I'm not sure why milking was different in the first place.  Fixing milking might be one of those remaining requests, though, so we'll see.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Taking the general development process/philosophy that Toady has, it might be that he has a better plan for animal farming in general and that making a fix for something that will be changed later anyway is not worth the time.

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: March 12, 2010, 06:37:49 pm »

This typing error immediately brought to mind a new field in dwarven construction - Dwarfcrete!  Carefully bred purring maggots produce an extremely sticky form of milk which, when mixed with the bones of goblins (for strength) and elves (for fun) produces a pourable substance that hardens soon after being set.  Carvable like cast obsidian, but with a base quality modifier, so even more ridiculously valuable architecture can be produced.  The only disadvantage is the lack of magma in the production process, but I'm sure Dwarven Science can find a solution for this.

It must be heated before pouring, which only a Magma Smelter has the capacity to do so.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: March 12, 2010, 07:41:21 pm »

I don't think Lancensis was being cheeky Heph.  :-X

Well, I meant it entirely neutrally. I was fairly sure that the udder situation hadn't changed, but I didn't want to make an ass of myself if someone had read or heard something that I'd missed.
I guess it came out more curt than I intended - sorry about  that (and the mixed metaphor).

This started out wonderfully, but I was dissappointed when I discovered that the walls would not, in fact, be made out of maggots. :-(

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13954 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:41 pm »

Any plans to add dikes?

Before I get lynched, I'd just like to say that this is a serious question.

Have you considered adding non-hetrosexual dwarves/humans/elves/goblins/creatures?

Also, har har pun. (EDIT: Referring to Lancensis' post here.)
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: March 12, 2010, 07:57:14 pm »

That's actually a good question. A friend of mine recently asked me "Is Dwarf Fortress heteronormative?" jokingly, but I seriously do wonder that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »

Quote from: James.Denholm link=topic=30026.msg1082660#msg1082660  date=1268441201
Quote from: Na4SnBe2Si6O18 link=topic=30026.msg1081723#msg1081723  date=1268407502
Any plans to add dikes?

Before I get lynched, I'd just like to say that this is a serious  question.

Have you considered adding non-hetrosexual  dwarves/humans/elves/goblins/creatures?

Also, har har pun. (EDIT: Referring to Lancensis' post here.)

hmmm i guess that goes in at the same time as interspecies relationships. I guess toady will crank out some "preferences" framework since it would also work for stuff like tiger/lion donkey/horse pairings etc. or stuff like a soul trapped somewhere being in love with someone other.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13957 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:58 pm »

I wouldn't mind it. It would add to the depth of the game.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: March 12, 2010, 09:00:54 pm »

You can just host your avatar on tinypic, you know.  That's where all of mine live.

The Thraddash live on tinypic?! Precursors help the human race!
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: March 12, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »

Urist was caught in the rain recently. Urist has been accosted by terrible vermin.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:57 pm »

:D hehe atleat my spellchecker works :P . Well better then pouring dogs or dragons  ;D
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: March 12, 2010, 11:03:07 pm »

hehe atleat my spellchecker works

Last I checked, pouring was a real word, which means it won't set off a spell checker.

Also:
atleat

And regrading image hosts, nothing tops imgur.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: March 12, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »

I should *headdesk* now. Back to topic. I guess milking goes by the same framework as any extracting job now so i want to ask toady: Can we actually extract materials from living animals (which arent vermin) with this release?

Proud to be a Furry.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: March 12, 2010, 11:20:54 pm »

The magma is for cleaning the fleshy packaging off of freshly delivered bones.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: March 12, 2010, 11:23:31 pm »

I should *headdesk* now. Back to topic. I guess milking goes by the same framework as any extracting job now so i want to ask toady: Can we actually extract materials from living animals (which arent vermin) with this release?
No, only vermin (and, more specifically, only purring maggots and moghoppers, for milking and extracting from fish respectively -- well, you could mod in other milkable vermin, but you get the idea.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1065