Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634020 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13935 on: March 12, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »

Regarding genetics and pouring maggots -> Will there be genes that manipulate the milk/time ratio of this creatures? A domestic cow should give more milk then a wild bovine. Also i think we can finally milk cows, goats and horses.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13936 on: March 12, 2010, 02:30:36 pm »

Also i think we can finally milk cows, goats and horses.

Is this confirmed? I'm not sure if being animal or being a pest causes any difference for the operation, but I think it is possible cows are not milkable yet even though maggots are.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13937 on: March 12, 2010, 02:48:00 pm »

Is this confirmed? I'm not sure if being animal or being a pest causes any difference for the operation, but I think it is possible cows are not milkable yet even though maggots are.

I seem to recall the issue being that, at current, the dwarf needs to hold the animal in his\her inventory to milk it. Since you can't do that with a cow, goat, or horse, they are unmilkable. I haven't seen toady say anything to indicate this was changed, so I'd assume they remain unmilkable.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13938 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »

Mussel Leather.  Brilliant stuff.  I should get some.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13939 on: March 12, 2010, 03:17:24 pm »

Wait...

Wait...

Does this mean the cheesemakers can actually be employed... making CHEESE?

My mind, it has been blown.

I feel slightly offended.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13940 on: March 12, 2010, 03:30:47 pm »

Where did you hear that?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13941 on: March 12, 2010, 03:39:49 pm »

Not to mention cave spiders. Btw, is there *any* posibility this could be altered to allow for a specific case? For example, if the starving dwarf in question *loves* (eating) purring maggots, he could pass up the regular food and go for the maggot.

Do you mean possibility for a future release?  Then yes, it's possible (I mean, what isn't?).  I don't think vermin are yet eligible for the "when possible ... prefers to consume" stuff, though.

I'm new here so hopefully this hasn't already been asked, Are there any plans to model contact metamorphism?

The heat from a body of magma will metamorphose the surrounding rocks for up to several Km, depending on the temperature difference and the size of the magma body. This can create ore deposits, particularly in limestone or other carbonates. Basically, you'd only see obsidian around the magma pipe at the surface. At depth, there would be a halo of metamorphosed rock, possibly containing ore or gems.

Any plans to add dikes?

It would basically be a magma vein. Not that important, but it might add some variety to fort design

Contact metamorphism came up a ways back:

Quote from: Normandy
Speaking of which, will there be igneous intrusions and the like, with the surrounding rock having undergone contact metamorphism, e.g. hornfels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornfels) and related things?

Nah, there's nothing very interesting going on.  I still lack stalact/gmites and various other critters as well.

Neither of the features you mentioned are in this release, but better geology is something that's sure to get worked on eventually.

how about a worldgen param that replaces all water with lava and soil layers with obsidian?
i remember a while back toady talking about specific quirks with a world being included in later versions

Are you suggesting it for this release or for later on?

Will ore smelting be changed to always require coal fuel? As it is, in Real Life, Cinnabar is the only ore that can be smelted (into Mercury) using nothing but heat, while all other ores require a reducing agent, usually coke.

This has come up in Suggestions and I'm sure Toady's aware of the concept.  It's not being changed for this release, and as usual, aside from dev_next there's no timeline for new features.

Will there be genes that manipulate the milk/time ratio of this creatures?

Not in this release, no.  The game doesn't even have raws for "recharge rate" and "max capacity" of extracts in general, so linking those to genetics is at least two steps away.

As explained above, there are other problems that will still prevent this.

For everyone posting suggestions in this thread: keep in mind that the reason Toady doesn't post much in the actual Suggestions forum anymore is that he doesn't have time to give feedback on everyone's ideas.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:44:14 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13942 on: March 12, 2010, 03:50:10 pm »

Where did you hear that?

Quote from: Heph link=topic=30026.msg1082057#msg1082057  date=1268422029
Also i think we can finally milk cows, goats and  horses.

Heck people i was just thinking that if toady fixes the maggots he does cows and alike at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:52:21 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13943 on: March 12, 2010, 03:58:58 pm »

It's people like you what cause unrest.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13944 on: March 12, 2010, 04:01:12 pm »

I don't think Lancensis was being cheeky Heph.  :-X

From memory I think the problem with milking larger animals was that it required the animal to be picked up, and to change that it was more complicated than what it seemed...maybe?
It would be nice if they could just get the animals to follow them to a farmers workshop ala the kennel or what-not.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13945 on: March 12, 2010, 04:01:31 pm »

Heck people i was just thinking that if toady fixes the maggots he does cows and alike at the same time.
The maggots can be carried, unlike the other animals.  That's not an incredibly simple fix.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13946 on: March 12, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »

It would be nice if they could just get the animals to follow them to a farmers workshop ala the kennel or what-not.

Yeah, you'd think he could just cannibalize the butcher/kennel code.  I'm not sure why milking was different in the first place.  Fixing milking might be one of those remaining requests, though, so we'll see.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13947 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:15 pm »

Also, Quatch, what happened to your avatar?

My school seems to have once again broken their webservers, and hence my webpage. I remain hopeful that it will return. I'm hesitant to use my friends webserver for anything, the domain name is too sketchy.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13948 on: March 12, 2010, 04:17:57 pm »

My school seems to have once again broken their webservers, and hence my webpage. I remain hopeful that it will return. I'm hesitant to use my friends webserver for anything, the domain name is too sketchy.

You can just host your avatar on tinypic, you know.  That's where all of mine live.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13949 on: March 12, 2010, 04:25:30 pm »

Or on Dropbox, for that matter. Mine's on there, and it also means I can change it anytime without even logging in to the forums.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:27:56 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1065