Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633613 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13725 on: March 10, 2010, 10:51:00 am »

So, when will we expect the dynamic addition of Z levels as we dig down and build up? Not to demand anything, or such.

Also, we started the hydra test. In my mind, the first post, with the list, got just a hint of blue to it. Maybe I should stop staring and go outside...
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:20 am »

Just a quick question out of curiosity.  Regarding all these bugs you're finding, are these all new bugs or are some of them left over from previous versions?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: March 10, 2010, 11:32:32 am »

Final (last changed Jan 24, 2010)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nope, nothing has changed in the final section.  Everything in the list is still white and the title has no color at all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:34:25 am by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: March 10, 2010, 11:42:10 am »

Quick question, which my searching has failed to find:

Are underground attacks catagorised as 'ambushes' or 'sieges', in terms of needing a certain population to trigger?
Thanks

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:48 am »

Quick question, which my searching has failed to find:

Are underground attacks catagorised as 'ambushes' or 'sieges', in terms of needing a certain population to trigger?
Thanks

Its probably one of those spoiler stuff. Plus the animalmen harrassment parties sound closer to ambushes since they have these hunting lodges or whatever than full blown sieges.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: March 10, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »

Just a quick question out of curiosity.  Regarding all these bugs you're finding, are these all new bugs or are some of them left over from previous versions?

Some of them are leftovers (such as the prompt to "Really attack?" unconscious creatures), although the severe crashes all seem to be new.

So, when will we expect the dynamic addition of Z levels as we dig down and build up? Not to demand anything, or such.

Not sure what kind of answer you're expecting here, as there's never a clear timeline beyond near-term development.  There's a possibility it won't go in at all -- these dev items present an alternative approach to site expansion:

# Core28, CONTROL OF TERRITORY AND EXTERNAL LOCATIONS, (Future): As your fortress expands into a barony, county and duchy, these words should attain some meaning with regards to the surrounding lands. Additional outposts/villages/work camps might be founded under your control, but out of the playable view, providing local trade and a further population pool for warfare and other endeavors. The scope is undecided, but this might include typical mountainside outposts, dwarf/human/mixed villages nearby in other biomes, or deeper sites that you found in tunnels that you carve via the next core item. Related to Core29 and Bloat172.

# Core29, EXTERNAL CONSTRUCTIONS, (Future): World map roads, bridges, walls and tunnels shouldn't just be products of world generation. You should be able to dispatch dwarves and materials to accomplish these tasks (though the amount of material used in a typical world generation road would virtually prohibit doing this as it currently stands, so something has to change). Requires Core28.

# Bloat198, SITE SPRAWL, (Future): The largest cities should have multiple site maps linked up at the edges to help with loading issues, though it will have to handle the AI for creatures that have business across multiple sections.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:21:50 pm by Footkerchief »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: March 10, 2010, 03:06:22 pm »

Here's my prediction.

-Hydra test will be finished by the 13th
-d# merge is thrown out the window. It'll be done at a later time, probably over the summer
-Most every feature request will also be thrown out the window. Minor requests will be fulfilled, but no where near the full amount. I'd allocate a week or less for this.
-Another week for misc. crashes and bugs Toady finds during these steps
-Release around the 30th

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: March 10, 2010, 03:11:44 pm »

I predict an announcement around the 30th that says the release will be on April 1st, but the link will be broken all that day, with actual release on April 2nd.

I mean how can Toady pass up a ready-made April Fools Joke like that?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: March 10, 2010, 03:13:47 pm »

Actually, the link will be fine, but the archive will contain 0.21.93.19a instead of whatever it says on the filename.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: March 10, 2010, 03:58:12 pm »

Tough-necked hydras those. Better that he slayed an INTERMITTENT-ERROR HORROR.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:00:24 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: March 10, 2010, 04:04:40 pm »

-d# merge is thrown out the window. It'll be done at a later time, probably over the summer
I very much hope not. I'd be well willing to wait a bit for that. And it's unlikely to take very long anyway.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: March 10, 2010, 04:16:50 pm »

Actually, the link will be fine, but the archive will contain 0.21.93.19a instead of whatever it says on the filename.

I just downloaded that version and am now genning a world with the intent to see what it was like way back when.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: March 10, 2010, 04:25:01 pm »

I probably won't even play a fortress right off the bat; My first excursion into DF2010 is going to be adventurer mode. Here's my plan; fight some wolves above-ground, chat with some of the new titans and demons, check out the local's description paragraphs, and then when I feel good and ready, tackle the underground. I'm still unconvinced about the last one though. Having my first underworld experience be in fortress mode puts more at stake, but adventurer mode allows me to throw caution to the wind and check out the new beasties. Which are you gonna go with?

My current plan is to immediatly start a Journey to the Center of the Earth expedition, with a couple miners and all the rest millitary, and dig straight down until everyone is dead. I'm pretty sure this is the only method that will give me the self control to expierience the new HFS without reading spoilers on the foums or ripping open the raw files.

Unless the new version comes out when I'm at work. Dammit.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: March 10, 2010, 04:32:07 pm »

As long as you play without a tileset, you should be able to pass DF off as work. To someone just passing by, it's still a bunch of text on a screen.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: March 10, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »

As long as you play without a tileset, you should be able to pass DF off as work. To someone just passing by, it's still a bunch of text on a screen.
Unless they play it too.
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1065