Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633623 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13710 on: March 10, 2010, 04:02:30 am »

Excellent, I was hoping that there would be little magma pockets on every map.  I realized the other day that I'd never been in a jungle or desert because they don't usually have the features I want, and I've been playing for a while.

Oh yeah, in the next version, is there a way to put certain barrels away for brewing only?  My fortresses are always dry because plump helmets fill up the barrels faster than I can make them.

Um, hrm. Set up a room for the brewer that is owned by him, then drop barrels in to it maybe?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13711 on: March 10, 2010, 04:03:32 am »

In my book, less map generation is a good thing. Now i can set up a reasonable fortress somewhere interesting, instead of somewhere where all the site features happen to be within a 6x6 cube.

I agree. I think it's important for choice of location to have its advantages and disadvantages, but right now, it's far too extreme.

• The special features are contained to mountains, limiting interesting choices for embark sites.
  • None of the options for special features (and most other features) are truly mutually exclusive (partly due to the above). This is bad, because of it's possible for a "perfect site" to exist, people will spend a lot of time finding it.
  • There's little flexibility when it comes to certain resources that require said flexibility. Sand stands out here as the one big example.
  • Certain other aspects of regions don't affect gameplay as much as they should. Wildlife act too much the same, lack of special features (see above), rainfall not mattering much (you barely need water at all anyway, even less in the next version possibly), plus some other things, like swamps barely being distinguished from forests (and limited terrain variation in general. I want to see deserts with mesas and stuff). Temperature also doesn't make a big difference, with the exception of outdoor water freezing.
  • Whatever I forgot to list.

Some of this is being addressed in the next version, of course. Special features won't be confined to mountains, which means their spot as the one huge criterion for having a "good embark site" is toast. We can also trade for sand and a few other new things, which solves that problem. I remain confident that the other issues will be improved upon; I just thought it might be worthwhile to consider what they are.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13712 on: March 10, 2010, 04:06:01 am »

well, not drop them in. Why not have your woodworker spend time with your lonely brewer making barrels?

(make a burrow, store wood/chosen ingredients, assign brewer and woodworker. ??? Profit)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13713 on: March 10, 2010, 05:05:13 am »

I wonder how ANYONE would be able to play with 500 layers, thats insane!

500z execution tower. Dear Armok.

500z is my new favorite awesomeness landmark.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13714 on: March 10, 2010, 05:28:47 am »

Excellent, I was hoping that there would be little magma pockets on every map.  I realized the other day that I'd never been in a jungle or desert because they don't usually have the features I want, and I've been playing for a while.

Oh yeah, in the next version, is there a way to put certain barrels away for brewing only?  My fortresses are always dry because plump helmets fill up the barrels faster than I can make them.

You can do this already.  Quoth the Wiki on Using Bins and Barrels:
Quote from: DFWiki
"Reserved Barrels/Bins" is a global setting that reserves a certain number of barrels or bins, preventing them from being claimed by a stockpile until they are filled by a that requires their use. This feature is most often used to ensure that a fortress has ample empty barrels for the production of alcohol, although empty barrels are also necessary for other jobs. You can change this setting in the stockpile menu. If there are 5 reserved barrels, no stockpile will claim an empty barrel until you have at least 6 lying around. In this way you can ensure that jobs like making alcohol always have free barrels available.

Okay, so it won't set them apart for only brewing, but it will at least clear up your plump helmet problem.  Try also cooking said plump helmets.  Or growing fewer of them.  You could also set a cap on how many barrels your food stockpiles will use.  Since that's a matter of setting each cap individually, and the only efficient reason to do it would be to make room for prepared meals larger than 10, it is probably better to just reserve some barrels.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13715 on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:46 am »

so we're already at the hydra test now?

expecting a release next week *cough*

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13716 on: March 10, 2010, 09:10:40 am »

so we're already at the hydra test now?

expecting a release next week *cough*

Hold your horses, fella.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13717 on: March 10, 2010, 09:18:54 am »

A week would be very optimistic. I'm leaning more to mid-April. Right when I'm starting my internship at a radio channel. Ack.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13718 on: March 10, 2010, 09:23:19 am »

I'm betting atleast 2 weeks. :S
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13719 on: March 10, 2010, 09:28:20 am »

I'm betting atleast 2 weeks. :S

I am going to guess... May

I can't believe my February prediction that I made over a year ago was wrong...

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13720 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:55 am »

That's not necessarily true. There are still things like magma pipes to consider, and wanting to have a larger number of biomes on a single map, plus greater map surface is good for, say, trees. Of course, more underground layers means more rock, in general, so you don't have to worry about that.

It IS true, however, that you won't need to worry about the "special features" as much, because those won't be confined to specific areas like they are now.

Yeah. Embark location won't be an irrevocable mistake if you make a bad pick, but a good site -- with sand, a near-surface magma pipe, and surface water -- will still make things a *hell* of a lot easier.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13721 on: March 10, 2010, 09:57:28 am »

Hydra testing, awesome!
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13722 on: March 10, 2010, 10:01:54 am »

I probably won't even play a fortress right off the bat; My first excursion into DF2010 is going to be adventurer mode. Here's my plan; fight some wolves above-ground, chat with some of the new titans and demons, check out the local's description paragraphs, and then when I feel good and ready, tackle the underground. I'm still unconvinced about the last one though. Having my first underworld experience be in fortress mode puts more at stake, but adventurer mode allows me to throw caution to the wind and check out the new beasties. Which are you gonna go with?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13723 on: March 10, 2010, 10:05:18 am »

Ah so after a month or so of bug fixing we just finally go to Hydra testing...

If were lucky enough we'll get it that part done before the 14th. But otherwise I have no idea how much longer this process will really take overall anymore since my guess literally flew out the window....

But I still call for a Spring release now. That's is for certain.

Also it's improtant to note that Toady's plans that he made clear for now is to work on the Military system, 40d# merge and more bug fixing. And that's just this month....

That still leave likely other interface changes, more "remaining test" and compacting. Plus we have no idea exactly how close it is till the 40d# has been nailed down to the point that it'll be marked as "ready" since there's still testing going on...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:10:45 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13724 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:45 am »

Still, we're making progress now that we are at the Hydra test. We really should give credit to his 'old hands' team of testers for helping iron out the crashes and bugs. Looks like he has fixed most of the major crashes and is getting the more intermittent ones.

Also, what time did he post that up because he said tomorrow, so does that actually mean today or actually mean tomorrow?
Pages: 1 ... 913 914 [915] 916 917 ... 1065