Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633538 times)

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13695 on: March 09, 2010, 11:39:00 pm »

I wonder how ANYONE would be able to play with 500 layers, thats insane!

500z execution tower. Dear Armok.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: March 10, 2010, 12:00:32 am »

How hard would it be to have the wealth display be able to break down into burrows?

The status screen would have to be reworked to include a scrollable list of burrows, and that screen is pretty jam-packed right now.  It's a good idea, but it'd definitely take time and there's no time for additional feature requests at this point.

Also, Maybe have the option of giving each burrow its own Bookkeeper/Hoardmaster and giving them separate precision settings.

Same as above -- would be nice, but very unlikely to make it in for this release.
Yeah, I understand. Wasn't meant to indicate this release.

Also, the wealth stats could be given their own tab on the status screen.

On another note, Thanks for sigging me Hobbie.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: March 10, 2010, 12:47:05 am »

I wonder how ANYONE would be able to play with 500 layers, thats insane!
500z execution tower. Dear Armok.
Too high, victims will learn to fly while falling.
Finis sanctificat media.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13698 on: March 10, 2010, 01:00:47 am »

Ah yes, the first version of DF where someone got 'Dabbling Flyer'.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13699 on: March 10, 2010, 01:04:28 am »

I like the mental image it gives me. a goblin flapping his arms desperately as he falls down a huge drop.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13700 on: March 10, 2010, 01:10:32 am »

I like the mental image it gives me. a goblin flapping his arms desperately as he falls down a huge drop.
until 10z from hitting the ground he catches a handful of air and manages to hover, "SUCCESS!"
...until a legendary wrestler on the ground grapples him, causing him to drop the rest of the way and chunkify
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13701 on: March 10, 2010, 01:16:11 am »

Yeah, I understand. Wasn't meant to indicate this release.

That kind of places it in suggestion territory, then.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13702 on: March 10, 2010, 02:14:24 am »

So what I'm hearing is nobody thought to ask. ._.

Man, that's disappointing. I cried when I had to downgrade from 6x6 to 4x4!
The key thing to remember is that in the next version, you won't need as big of an embark area, because you will be getting much much more in the depths.  If you start with a 3x3 embark area in the new version, you are nearly guaranteed to have access to basically everything that people used to use the site finder to locate, no matter where you are.

Trust me.  3x3 is enough now.  And you can put that 3x3 anywhere -- in the desert, on a glacier, wherever -- and as long as there's no aquafier (or you can get through the aquifer) it will be as good as the best imaginable embark area in the previous versions.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13703 on: March 10, 2010, 02:18:07 am »

That's not necessarily true. There are still things like magma pipes to consider, and wanting to have a larger number of biomes on a single map, plus greater map surface is good for, say, trees. Of course, more underground layers means more rock, in general, so you don't have to worry about that.

It IS true, however, that you won't need to worry about the "special features" as much, because those won't be confined to specific areas like they are now.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13704 on: March 10, 2010, 02:20:06 am »

I like to use 6x6, but yea sometimes it feels like I have more space than I know what to do with. Still, a 6x6 usually guarantees a HUGE amount of stone.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13705 on: March 10, 2010, 02:27:10 am »

That's not necessarily true. There are still things like magma pipes to consider, and wanting to have a larger number of biomes on a single map, plus greater map surface is good for, say, trees. Of course, more underground layers means more rock, in general, so you don't have to worry about that.

It IS true, however, that you won't need to worry about the "special features" as much, because those won't be confined to specific areas like they are now.
There are mushroom-trees and shrubs in the depths on all maps now.  And unlimited magma is guaranteed on all maps at the moment, too.

Granted, surface-trees can be useful.  But you'll be able to farm for mushrooms on any map, and you'll have a huge amount of space in the Z-levels to do it in, even in a 3x3 area.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13706 on: March 10, 2010, 02:28:50 am »

There are mushroom-trees and shrubs in the depths on all maps now.  And unlimited magma is guaranteed on all maps at the moment, too.

Not to mention, bottomless pits and chasms are no more, and underground pools/rivers are meaningless if some kind of infinite underground water resource is guaranteed with the caves.

All we need in a site are flux and sand.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13707 on: March 10, 2010, 02:30:42 am »

Not to mention, bottomless pits and chasms are no more, and underground pools/rivers are meaningless if some kind of infinite underground water resource is guaranteed with the caves.

All we need in a site are flux and sand.

We dont even need sand now, as that can be imported, if the civvies have it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13708 on: March 10, 2010, 02:44:27 am »

Basically, the new version will have most of everything on a map, world features tell you how easy it will be to find those features (ex: a Magma Pipe means accessible Magma from early on, otherwise you'll have to dig very deep and run the risk of Clowns to find any Magma.)

Basically the game is less about genning thousands of worlds to find the perfect location, different locations affect how the map plays without boning the player because he forgot to embark on a location with sand.

In my book, less map generation is a good thing. Now i can set up a reasonable fortress somewhere interesting, instead of somewhere where all the site features happen to be within a 6x6 cube.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13709 on: March 10, 2010, 03:13:28 am »

Excellent, I was hoping that there would be little magma pockets on every map.  I realized the other day that I'd never been in a jungle or desert because they don't usually have the features I want, and I've been playing for a while.

Oh yeah, in the next version, is there a way to put certain barrels away for brewing only?  My fortresses are always dry because plump helmets fill up the barrels faster than I can make them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:52:16 am by JohnLukeG »
Pages: 1 ... 912 913 [914] 915 916 ... 1065