Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632719 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13365 on: March 01, 2010, 12:57:14 pm »

I think fractions would work fairly well. 45,000Γ just looks like: "Whoa this dwarf is an Elephant" instead of the notion that such a dwarf is a little bit skinny. Volumes are in cubic centimeters as i remember.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: March 01, 2010, 01:04:04 pm »

After reading the first sentence if the newest recent developments update, I was praying "let it be metric system, let it be metric system, let it be metric pleasepleaseplease..."

Well enjoy your 0.45359237 kg human chunks then, but I feel an opportunity has been missed. We could've kept it all above board by adding the [NOBLEED] tag as well.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13367 on: March 01, 2010, 01:30:10 pm »

A troubled boy. I'm kind of afraid of his next plan.
Scamps, pet cat has toppled a computer!
Toady One, Developer has lost a masterpeice!
Toady One, Developer is throwing a tantrum!
Three Toe has been struck down!
 :-\
And then DF fans EVERYWHERE. STOP. EVERYTHING.
And then the end of the world.
New Zealand, Galapagos and Madagaskar will live.
If you can call that living.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: March 01, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

In addition to height, I believe weight contributes to size. So the optimal warriors, from a genetic point of view, would be freakishly tall and morbidly obese. This will likely change in the future, when metabolism gets more solidly implemented, but for now that's your best bet.

Of course, you could just draft only the biggest dwarves instead.

They might not be the best if obesity decreases speed or increases the rate at which dwarves get tired and return to their barracks to sleep.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #13369 on: March 01, 2010, 02:53:49 pm »

Things have real-world mass now!

Who wants to see if they can get enough things in one square to make a literal black hole?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13370 on: March 01, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »

You should be able to absorb crossbow bolts with enough fat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: March 01, 2010, 02:58:36 pm »

In addition to height, I believe weight contributes to size. So the optimal warriors, from a genetic point of view, would be freakishly tall and morbidly obese. This will likely change in the future, when metabolism gets more solidly implemented, but for now that's your best bet.

They might not be the best if obesity decreases speed or increases the rate at which dwarves get tired and return to their barracks to sleep.

Depends on how much of that mass is muscle.

@PTTG: Getting things in one square is the easy part, measuring the mass is the hard part. Not like we would see any gravitational effect in the same way SoF are as hot or hotter than the sun, yet don't make the mountain melt around them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: March 01, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »

You should be able to absorb crossbow bolts with enough fat.

This was actually one of the goals of the body rewrite:

Quote from: Toady One
How much does this (skin thickness) actually matter in terms of combat?  Will there be things that daggers can't cut through?

That's coming up very soon, so I can't say exactly how much.  The idea is that a thicker tissue would matter a lot, so a bulbous creature with a large layer of lardy rolls would have a great deal of protection.  It'll take some balancing, and I'm not to the point where I've tested it out.  In terms of daggers being able to cut in general, it currently uses the shear properties for this, and if the dagger is a harder material it will form some sort of cut (assuming the strike is forceful enough to get beyond the shear fracture point for, say, skin), but on a titan, that should be neglible unless you make a hobby out of it.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: March 01, 2010, 03:02:10 pm »

Depends on how much of that mass is muscle.
No, being obese isn't having a lot of mass, it's how much of it is fat, in relation to the rest of your body.

If that mass is muscle, then you aren't obese.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13374 on: March 01, 2010, 03:06:48 pm »

How are creature descriptions handled? For example: A forgotten beast, which is very fat and covered in scales (giving him more protection). Will there be a page which says stuff like "This is a *name*, it has two legs and five eyes. It is covered in scales. It is exceptionally fat.", similar to the current dwarf info page?

Or will it only display the bodyparts in the wound view and lets you figure out the details yourself the hard way?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: March 01, 2010, 03:19:39 pm »

Probably in a similar way to how how personal descriptions look on the spoiler Toady showed us, as in a few pragraphs listing eyes, skins, hair, colour, etc. Except when describing things like forgotten beasts it'll have to mention how many limbs of each type it has how many eyes, etc.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: March 01, 2010, 03:30:23 pm »

How are creature descriptions handled? For example: A forgotten beast, which is very fat and covered in scales (giving him more protection). Will there be a page which says stuff like "This is a *name*, it has two legs and five eyes. It is covered in scales. It is exceptionally fat.", similar to the current dwarf info page?

Or will it only display the bodyparts in the wound view and lets you figure out the details yourself the hard way?

Yes, the dynamically generated descriptions aren't just for dwarves, they're for all creatures that have appearance/color modifiers.  For example, since cougars have the DEEP_SET appearance modifier applied to their eyes, cougars with eyes that are deep-set (or bulging/protruding) will be described as such in their appearance paragraph.  These act as a supplement to the DESCRIPTION tag, which is typed manually rather than being dynamically generated (as you can see from the cougar's DESCRIPTION in that link).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13377 on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:17 pm »

So dwarves weigh between 43 and 122 kg, an average of 82.5 kg.

We already know that dwarves have an average body size of 60,000 cubic centimetres.

That puts their average density at 1.375 g/cm^3.  Water has a density of 1 g/cm^3.

No wonder dwarves can't swim.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: March 01, 2010, 04:01:40 pm »

82.5 is the average of the numbers 43 and 122 but not necessarily the number for the average weight of dwarves. Just nitpickin'.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13379 on: March 01, 2010, 04:04:00 pm »

Will wounds transfer to corpses now, or do we still need to view the creature when it was alive to see its wounds/how it died? (I realize the combat logs go a long way to make up for this but I'm curious)
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1065