Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632018 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13185 on: February 26, 2010, 03:51:48 am »

Buh? It's still a polar opposite in the sense that Avatar's only saving grace was in its visual presentation, whereas in DF, almost everything but the visual presentation is innovative.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: February 26, 2010, 04:10:29 am »

With all this talk about castes, I have to wonder, will it be possible to dynamically alter the ratio of castes of wildlife/invaders coming to your fortress? Or is that fixed in worldgen?

What I mean is, most of the siegers (other than local leaders etc) are currently randomly generated. And altering the raws of creatures changes them 'on the fly'. So will it be possible to mod in castes of goblin that are much larger, tougher and rarer, and then progressively alter the caste ratio in the raws to make the tougher ones more and more common as your fortress progresses (to provide a challenge)?

I've a hard time believing this will be in the next version, have heard nothing about it so far. Though I guess the part about there being different caste ratios will probably be there to explore. I just don't think you'll be able to have the raws change during play (yet?).

That said,it would be a neat feature. But probably rendered obsolete once sieges (and stuff) are taken from the actual worlds population. Or?
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: February 26, 2010, 04:15:10 am »

With all this talk about castes, I have to wonder, will it be possible to dynamically alter the ratio of castes of wildlife/invaders coming to your fortress? Or is that fixed in worldgen?

What I mean is, most of the siegers (other than local leaders etc) are currently randomly generated. And altering the raws of creatures changes them 'on the fly'. So will it be possible to mod in castes of goblin that are much larger, tougher and rarer, and then progressively alter the caste ratio in the raws to make the tougher ones more and more common as your fortress progresses (to provide a challenge)?

I've a hard time believing this will be in the next version, have heard nothing about it so far. Though I guess the part about there being different caste ratios will probably be there to explore. I just don't think you'll be able to have the raws change during play (yet?).

You can actually do that in the current version, in limited ways.  My guess is that Dante's idea should work fine, as long as the invader generation code respects the caste birth ratios (which it should).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: February 26, 2010, 04:22:34 am »

Footkerchief: But wilderness immigration is based on regional populations, no? And those don't currently replenish themselves. What's important there is what happens during worldgen, not after.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: February 26, 2010, 04:29:11 am »

Footkerchief: But wilderness immigration is based on regional populations, no? And those don't currently replenish themselves. What's important there is what happens during worldgen, not after.

Yeah, I didn't see that he mentioned wildlife as well.  It wouldn't work for those, I don't think.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: February 26, 2010, 09:43:29 am »

That said,it would be a neat feature. But probably rendered obsolete once sieges (and stuff) are taken from the actual worlds population. Or?
Closest idea I can think of is to tweak up the growth level of goblin stats so the legendaries are tougher.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #13191 on: February 26, 2010, 10:10:53 am »

Quote from: devlog
fixed some of the legends text export information (still unclear whether that's going to be replaced/augmented by xml)...
JSON looks nicer than XML, and there are libraries for reading and writing it in almost every language.

Strike 1: JSON has no comment syntax

Strike 2: sexp syndrome.  tell me in three seconds or less whether these "tags" are balanced.  Now tell me before I reach the last closing bracket.

{'a' : {'b' : 1, {'c' : {'d' : 1 }, {'e', 2}, 'f' : 3}}, {'g' : 5}}}

Json schema is currently lacking and schema-hybrids are nonexistent. (quality "schema" for, for example, hypothetical xml-raws would allow to make modding tools quite easily and would allow neat features like code-completition and instant sanity checks for values).

Also, you can attach stylesheet to xml file and display it as formated document without having to edit single line.

Not to mention xslt stuff. Writing legend-to-html file transform would be damned easy. Converting raw xmls to pdfs is in junior-developer-1-day-task league.

Json is good for tiny calls where you do no want bloat (like ajax), but for more structured information in bigger volume, i'd take xml because of existing tools.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13192 on: February 26, 2010, 11:02:39 am »

Urist Imiknorris, Bay Watcher has organized a party at Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:55 am »

Quote from: devlog
fixed some of the legends text export information (still unclear whether that's going to be replaced/augmented by xml)...
JSON looks nicer than XML, and there are libraries for reading and writing it in almost every language.

Strike 1: JSON has no comment syntax

Strike 2: sexp syndrome.  tell me in three seconds or less whether these "tags" are balanced.  Now tell me before I reach the last closing bracket.

{'a' : {'b' : 1, {'c' : {'d' : 1 }, {'e', 2}, 'f' : 3}}, {'g' : 5}}}

Json schema is currently lacking and schema-hybrids are nonexistent. (quality "schema" for, for example, hypothetical xml-raws would allow to make modding tools quite easily and would allow neat features like code-completition and instant sanity checks for values).

Also, you can attach stylesheet to xml file and display it as formated document without having to edit single line.

Not to mention xslt stuff. Writing legend-to-html file transform would be damned easy. Converting raw xmls to pdfs is in junior-developer-1-day-task league.

Json is good for tiny calls where you do no want bloat (like ajax), but for more structured information in bigger volume, i'd take xml because of existing tools.

What are you guys talking about?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13194 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:58 am »

A lot of things work now, but many things are still broken and I'm still getting at least a crash report a day.

I'd play the "current" version and be happy after you go a week without crashing.  I don't mind downloading a patch and regenerating the world, I hate repeating stuff I already did in the same world.

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile
honestly
« Reply #13195 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:01 am »

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it crashed every time a dwarf picked their nose; I would still play the hell out of it and do as much as humanly possible before it crashed ;D

At what rate of new game-crashing bug reports are you going to move on to the merge and the other remaining issues?  Three days since the last one that gets reported, a week since the last one that gets reported?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13196 on: February 26, 2010, 11:33:45 am »

They're talking about what format they'd like to see exports of information from Dwarf Fortress in. JSON is the "new hotness", XML is the "old workingness".

JSON is good for certain things, but XML works in all cases.  ;D

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:00 am »

boring JSON vs XML debate

Different formats for structured data. Google 'JSON vs XML' for a peek at one of the recent geek holy wars.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13198 on: February 26, 2010, 11:38:22 am »

I don't think many people know what JSON is, first time I've heard of it myself. XML though, is used in many things, The Civilization series (from Civ3 onward I believe since Civ2 used notepad) uses it extensively.

vins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13199 on: February 26, 2010, 01:30:00 pm »

Too bad this thread won't reach 1 000 000 views. :o
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 1065