Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637238 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7125 on: November 20, 2009, 12:07:20 am »

Double post.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:08:50 am by Igfig »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: November 20, 2009, 12:07:56 am »

insanely cold or insanely hot creature temperatures can also be considered a creature "aura"
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: November 20, 2009, 12:11:01 am »

Igfig, you realize you just quoted your own post? Not ratting on you for double posting as it looks like an honest mistake or a posting glitch, just wondering if you noticed it.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: November 20, 2009, 12:12:16 am »

Well, the last couple pages of this thread have induced numerous san-loss checks, so I guess giving that ability to monsters shouldn't be that hard.  Just have them wear this thread for a face.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: November 20, 2009, 12:23:30 am »

YOU JUST TOOK OUT THE TRASH!

This is now my sig.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: November 20, 2009, 01:10:27 am »

Oh, heh.  I think I clicked 'Quote' when I meant to click 'Edit'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: November 20, 2009, 08:17:19 am »

insanely cold or insanely hot creature temperatures can also be considered a creature "aura"

Yeah especially since "Radiation" implies certain things that do not apply.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: November 20, 2009, 09:10:10 am »

Well, if you undraft them immediately, it's unlikely you were intending for them to go to battle...

Yeah, it could put a cooldown timer on the undraft, if that was what you meant.  But then what happens if you draft your starting 7 to fight off some fire imps and can't undraft them for a season or something?  I suppose if it just kept you from undrafting for as long as the break would have lasted (if it was during a break at all), it's okay.

Well, breaks are going to be more useful in this update, used for hygiene and stuff, right?  So if you never let your dwarves stay on break penalties could develop from that

I think the hygiene stuff is only done before bed, not sure though.

edit: according to the only quote I could find, it's just done when they decide to take the job:

Quote from: dev log
Any water splashed on to a creature, item or vegetation will wash any clingy contaminant filth on to the ground (blood, vomit, mud, etc.). Dwarves can also take a job to clean themselves up. It's still a little up in the air as to whether they'll be able to sneak drinks when they do these jobs, as that would save time but also rob them of precious alcohol unless they start drinking alcohol when they aren't thirsty (which wouldn't be that mindboggling)... however it might need to wait for party rewrites and so on to be at its best. If I don't change it I don't think the extra cleaning job will be that disruptive of a time sink, since cleanings are done fairly infrequently overall, even if a dwarf's feet/shoes constantly become caked in filth, and dwarves that are stuck drinking water can still sneak a wash.
Well thirst and hunger seem to work on a timer that ticks down and they just all pop with it at max. If going on break were like that it would mean we're seeing drafting remove the timer and then slap a fresh one on when they're undrafted. Keeping the timer of them while they are in the military but just not ticking it down should eliminate the issue and I don't think ~100 more timers that were't doing anything but taking up space would end up being that big of a drain on fort speed.

Well, a four year old with a mental age of eight has an IQ of 200 and a 20 year old with a mental age of 20 has an IQ of 100, so I suppose it's an extraordinarily poor attempt to quantify something which cannot be quantified.

What puzzles me about DragSlay, and I guess DF now, is how you can tell the gender of a skeleton.
Width of that notch on the hips would do it.

Realistically it is more then possible

You check the Ribs

Females have more ribs then males.
That's a misunderstanding from the Bible. With Lemarcian evolution Adam would be walking around with a rib fewer but it doesn't work that way and males and females has their ribs coming off of all the same vertebra.

Or if it does work that way when God plucks things out of you it could be refering to a bone most mammals have for their penis.

Regardless, your average person isn't going to be able to notice any of that and tell if the skeleton was male or female. And once you start getting into skeleton elves, goblins, dwarves, and whatnot it becomes even less likely that any random adventurer will know how to tell the gender of a skeleton of another race.

Skeleton animals? Pretty much forget it, unless there is something really obvious to go off of (like horns).
Unless the lay eggs all the bipedal females will need a wider pelvis.

Skeletal animals is a bit fuzzy because unless they have antlers or something not many of us can tell the males apart from the females when they're alive if we don't have the time to go over and feel around their groins.

@Toonyman: When's the last time that you've ran across the corpse of an assasinated king or some other important person in-game, besides maybe the ones you kill yourself? >:D

Well, I don't think fighting ever happens in adventurer mode unfortunately unless it's like a farmer beating up an antman, but that hardly counts.

EDIT:  Besides the fights you cause!  :-D
And adventure mode is not the ideal way it's supposed to be. With something like this instead of the king telling you to just go fight something you'd have other types of "adventure" available. Whether your character works out a crime or has to go find someone who can- well, lots of options.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: November 20, 2009, 09:16:31 am »

That's a misunderstanding from the Bible.

Yes we established that a while ago. Though only likely originating from the Bibal, since I didn't get it from that source.

penis

Will you guys stop it... Honestly!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: November 20, 2009, 09:39:58 am »

This thread has gone to bad places. O_o
When Toady comes back and sees this... I don't know who I am feeling the most sorry for.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42:00 am »

This thread has gone to bad places. O_o
When Toady comes back and sees this... I don't know who I am feeling the most sorry for.

I think I know the answer to that. Humanity

I am thinking of starting a suggestion thread about Quest help from NPCs. In otherwords What should NPCs do if your doing a quest for them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: November 20, 2009, 11:32:22 am »

Hey cool, the weapon familiarity item got greened out!  That's one I'm looking forward to.

Is there/Will there be a tag responsible for telling the game that "This creature can reproduce."

Similar, would there be any chance of a [ATTRACTION] tag for body parts?

For the "Is there" part, no, there isn't a reproduction BP tag yet.

I'm not sure how much sense an attraction tag would make, given the massive variations in what individuals and cultures consider attractive.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: November 20, 2009, 11:40:38 am »

Regardless, your average person isn't going to be able to notice any of that and tell if the skeleton was male or female. And once you start getting into skeleton elves, goblins, dwarves, and whatnot it becomes even less likely that any random adventurer will know how to tell the gender of a skeleton of another race.

Skeleton animals? Pretty much forget it, unless there is something really obvious to go off of (like horns).
Female skeletons are shorter, more delicate and have wider hips. Even I can tell what gender a skeleton is.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: November 20, 2009, 12:00:18 pm »

You cannot tell the gender of an deceased person from the skeleton :P  You can tell sex.  A female pelvis has a rounded pubic arch, while the male pubic arch is a sharp angle--that's the easiest marker.  In addition, in the male, the ischial spines are curved more inward, while female ischial spines are spaced wider.

On gender, my profs always told me that was all psychology or sociology.  In biology, we have sex.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: November 20, 2009, 12:05:46 pm »

On gender, my profs always told me that was all psychology or sociology.  In biology, we have sex.

To be fair, this distinction is a relatively new invention, dating only to the 70s or so, and like many experiments in the retconning of meaning has failed to gain much foothold outside of academia.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 1065