Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634407 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14145 on: March 15, 2010, 01:09:43 am »

Why do we keep having this discussion? Dwarf Fortress dwarves do not have bearded women. This has been known for a while now, ever since Toady released the dwarf raws

Perhaps, but he did set it up to be toggleable.

Dwarves breathing fire is toggleable too.

My point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as bearded females go.

And my counter-point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as fire-breathing dwarves go.

Having a debate over the possibilities of modding the game is completely pointless. Especially when the question was "Do female dwarves have beards?" the answer to which being "No".

Not unless you make it so, then it becomes yes, at which point it becomes a philosphical debate.

The answer to the question is "No."

You can give them beards if you want to, but that wasn't what he asked. He asked if they have beards, by definition if you have to give them beards, then they do not have beards, otherwise you wouldn't need to give them beards.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14146 on: March 15, 2010, 01:11:59 am »

Why do we keep having this discussion? Dwarf Fortress dwarves do not have bearded women. This has been known for a while now, ever since Toady released the dwarf raws

Perhaps, but he did set it up to be toggleable.

Dwarves breathing fire is toggleable too.

My point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as bearded females go.

And my counter-point was that we can set it to however the heck we want as far as fire-breathing dwarves go.

Having a debate over the possibilities of modding the game is completely pointless. Especially when the question was "Do female dwarves have beards?" the answer to which being "No".

Not unless you make it so, then it becomes yes, at which point it becomes a philosphical debate.

The answer to the question is "No."

You can give them beards if you want to, but that wasn't what he asked. He asked if they have beards, by definition if you have to give them beards, then they do not have beards, otherwise you wouldn't need to give them beards.

I was speaking philosophically with the yes. Besides I'm on your side.

What exactly was it that he asked? I guess it got lost in translation and everything else.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #14147 on: March 15, 2010, 01:12:28 am »

Hehe.

Beards.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14148 on: March 15, 2010, 01:12:53 am »

In WoW they aren't..... so thats 2 against one.
Discworld yes, 2-2.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14149 on: March 15, 2010, 01:13:24 am »

Hehe.

Beards.

ON THE FACE. NOT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

The question btw was:

Now that we have actual beards for dwarves, I would like a final verdict on something. Female dwarves: Bearded or no?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14150 on: March 15, 2010, 01:15:05 am »

The question btw was:

Now that we have actual beards for dwarves, I would like a final verdict on something. Female dwarves: Bearded or no?

Thats what we were just talking about!, lol!.....

I think Samoorai may have meant this question:

Yet another question: Will magma now heat up a fortress? Say, if it were pumped under the floor or behind a wall, would that actually heat the adjacent room, or will it still just be a designer aesthetic? And if yes to the previous, would a column of magma falling through the center of a large underground cavern give off heat and/or light enough to make any kind of difference? Or would it again just be an aesthetic, albeit an awesome one?

As for the lighting, there are a bunch of bloats and dev goals for light sources, so sometime in the future. As someone else said, the thermodynamics of the magma are unchanged.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14151 on: March 15, 2010, 01:16:01 am »

The question btw was:

Thats what we were just talking about!, lol!.....

I think Samoorai may have meant this question:

Yet another question: Will magma now heat up a fortress? Say, if it were pumped under the floor or behind a wall, would that actually heat the adjacent room, or will it still just be a designer aesthetic? And if yes to the previous, would a column of magma falling through the center of a large underground cavern give off heat and/or light enough to make any kind of difference? Or would it again just be an aesthetic, albeit an awesome one?

How would that question lead to a massive internet fite about female dwarves having beards or not?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14152 on: March 15, 2010, 01:20:53 am »

Well, he did ask for a definitive answer to his magma question two pages back in his own last post a few pages back. I think the one I C&P'ed is the one he was referring to.

As for the internet fite, it started somewhere around that moment I guess. Nobody crashed and burned or went nuclear, so its all good.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:22:25 am by smjjames »

Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14153 on: March 15, 2010, 01:22:20 am »

Dwarven women: They wield battle axes, guzzle booze like water, work as smiths and masons AND have their annoying children with them all the time.
Yes, they have no beards, but without question they *deserve* them.
Maybe they should have really nice and silky beards to underline their womanliness ;)
(diskworld, anyone?)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14154 on: March 15, 2010, 01:54:28 am »

Hmm, just a thought and I don't think it got answered. With the new butchery system, will the skeleton (or exoskeleton) of a creature be available in their component parts (other than the head) like ribs, limb bomes, vertabrae, etc or will they still appear as a stack of bones as they already do now? I know we already get teeth and ivory from the butchers shop now.

I was just thinking of how cool it would be to have animal ribs as a component part of an Altar to Armok custom workshop type thing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:56:06 am by smjjames »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14155 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:01 am »

To be fair, he specifically made a note in the dwarven creature definition for it, because he knew it would be a popular thing to do and that any given choice would be controversial to some degree. So it's not just an option in the sense that you can do it, it's an option in the sense that it's being directly presented to you as a suggested one.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14156 on: March 15, 2010, 02:04:59 am »

With the new butchery system, will the skeleton (or exoskeleton) of a creature be available in their component parts (other than the head) like ribs, limb bomes, vertabrae, etc or will they still appear as a stack of bones as they already do now?

The skull is still the only "special" bone; everything else still just goes into the stack.  Ribs and the humerus/femur wouldn't be too hard to add, but everything else (pelvis, mandible, radius/ulna, tibia/fibula, vertebrae, etc) would require significant expansion of the already complicated creature anatomies.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14157 on: March 15, 2010, 02:11:17 am »

With the new butchery system, will the skeleton (or exoskeleton) of a creature be available in their component parts (other than the head) like ribs, limb bomes, vertabrae, etc or will they still appear as a stack of bones as they already do now?

The skull is still the only "special" bone; everything else still just goes into the stack.  Ribs and the humerus/femur wouldn't be too hard to add, but everything else (pelvis, mandible, radius/ulna, tibia/fibula, vertebrae, etc) would require significant expansion of the already complicated creature anatomies.

Not to mention a hell of alot of clutter in the bone/shell stockpile. Ah well, it was just a late night thought anyway. Oh yea, can a custom workshop require multiple items to build and whats the maximum number of different item types that can be set as a requirement? Like 10 bone, 2 metal bars, 20 rope/chain, etc. Whether this got asked or answered, no idea, but it definetly seems like a good question to me.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14158 on: March 15, 2010, 02:40:01 am »

can a custom workshop require multiple items to build

Yes.  The building raws that Toady posted use multiple build items.

and whats the maximum number of different item types that can be set as a requirement? Like 10 bone, 2 metal bars, 20 rope/chain, etc.

There's no maximum you'd ever have to worry about.  Tens of thousands or more, most likely.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14159 on: March 15, 2010, 05:48:36 am »

can a custom workshop require multiple items to build

Yes.  The building raws that Toady posted use multiple build items.

and whats the maximum number of different item types that can be set as a requirement? Like 10 bone, 2 metal bars, 20 rope/chain, etc.

There's no maximum you'd ever have to worry about.  Tens of thousands or more, most likely.

Probably be 65535
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 1065