Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3576610 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10260 on: January 12, 2010, 09:14:57 pm »

One question
i searched and couldnt find anything on this topic

Would it be possible in the future to designate an "arena" for the dwarfs to admire fights in in fortressmode? unlike now where you build an "arena" it is unofficial and only the player sees it/can admire it or when the dwarfs sees it they run in terror.

I really like that idea. It may already be on the eternal suggestions list, no idea.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10261 on: January 12, 2010, 09:30:09 pm »

I guess nails and hair grow back through cosmetic layer growth or something, instead of healing.

Yeah, it's done via a TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER, which you can see being used in the new dwarf raws.

Since organs don't do much now it doesn't matter much yet, but there's an big difference between healing in the sense of a wound sealing up, and tissue actually returning to a functional state. Like if you get stabbed in the eye it might heal up ok in a structural sense but it'd still be blind.

I guess a way to track this sort of thing could be something like:
organ is x% damaged -> organ heals -> organ is x% scar tissue -> organ is x% nonfunctional. Crude, but could produce some decent results.

The next version might be doing something like this with the SCARS tissue tag.  I don't think we've heard whether that controls cosmetic aspects of scarring, functional aspects, or both.

Ooo, that's brilliant.  Changing personality with brain damage.

There's a pretty good Suggestions thread about this.

Would it be possible in the future to designate an "arena" for the dwarfs to admire fights in in fortressmode? unlike now where you build an "arena" it is unofficial and only the player sees it/can admire it or when the dwarfs sees it they run in terror.

Yes, it's a dev item:

• Bloat233, ARENAS, (Future): Fight for food or money, stuff can be on chains or just waiting inside. Various associated industries.

And it's also been the subject of many suggestions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10262 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:53 pm »

Fight for food in arenas? That is a pretty lousy prize.

Unless I guess it is refering to your living costs being paid for you if you become a Gladiator in which you may not even be expected to die.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10263 on: January 12, 2010, 10:47:48 pm »

Yes, it's a dev item:

• Bloat233, ARENAS, (Future): Fight for food or money, stuff can be on chains or just waiting inside. Various associated industries.

And it's also been the subject of many suggestions.

hmm I did not see anything related to that when I searched, strange
thx anyways.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10264 on: January 12, 2010, 11:25:22 pm »

Fight for food in arenas? That is a pretty lousy prize.

Unless I guess it is refering to your living costs being paid for you if you become a Gladiator in which you may not even be expected to die.

Could also be for cases where the gladiators are slaves, prisoners, or criminals.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10265 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:47 am »

Brain damage is such a massive can of worms...I guess it could just semi-randomly damage your mental stats and skill levels and stuff. It'd be funny if it changed your personality around some too.

"What is all this crap? I don't remember liking olivine at all!"
"Who are you and where is my horse"? (c) George Carlin.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10266 on: January 13, 2010, 02:17:31 am »

What brain damage should mostly do is kill you. But every now and then under extremely rare circumstances, it should have some sort of dehabilitating neurological effect, such as paraplegia, schizophrenia and soforth, assuming the person survives. And then, in even more rare circumstances, literally one in a million, the person suffering brain damage would come out the other end just fine, but with a completely and fundamentally changed personality.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10267 on: January 13, 2010, 02:58:26 am »

I don't know. It doesn't seem that rare to me for people to survive brain damage with some sort of disorder inflicted.  My mother, for instance, was hit on the head when she was young and has ever since had prosopagnosia (and still occasionally gets called upon to be in psychological case studies because of it)

Brain stem damage kills, because the brain stem controls the automatic functions of your body that -keeps you alive-.  Other parts of your brain do different things, and even then, sometimes your brain can re-wire itself to cover parts that have been damaged.  After all, people can live with the corpus callosum severed. Lobotomy patients don't die instantly. Heck-- what is a stroke but massive brain damage?  It doesn't kill you... but it does hinder you in severe ways.

So I wouldn't say brain damage leaving you alive but afflicted is as "extremely rare" as you make it out to be.

I think you may be thinking of cases where the skull is caved in and bone is actually jutted into the brain.  Yes, that will kill.  But there are plenty of ways to damage the brain without causing deadly internal brain hemorrhaging. Blunt trauma can do quite a bit.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10268 on: January 13, 2010, 03:10:50 am »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10269 on: January 13, 2010, 03:47:36 am »

A relative of one of my aunts has a 9mm round lodged in her brain. Her memory and and motor controls suffer, but dhe'svery mcuh alive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10270 on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:26 am »

Also, i'd like to add... certain drug abusers I've had to work with. (Don't want to get too deep into drug discussion) these were people who abused many different 'hard' drugs and quite literally fried portions of their brains away. Still alive, but not quite all still here on this plain of existance...  :/

It'll be interesting if/when DF can model people who aren't quite together. All games I've seen have abstractions like berserk/melancholy we currently have.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:01:14 am by KaelGotDwarves »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10271 on: January 13, 2010, 04:01:07 am »

actaully, personality changes due to DO happen, and seem to be semi-common. 

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/brain-injury-what-you-probably-don-t-know/360653?query=Brain+Injury+And+Personality+Changes

They're alot more common in this modern time due to improved medicine.

In the 1400s, brain damage usually meant you were dead. Either by infection, or by bad medical practices.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10272 on: January 13, 2010, 04:03:03 am »

Or burned alive as a witch.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10273 on: January 13, 2010, 04:04:48 am »

Or exorcised for possession.

Basically, in our modern era, brain damage often means some sort of mental issue, but you still survive. In the 1400s though, if you manage to get brain damage, your future is bleak indeed.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10274 on: January 13, 2010, 04:21:43 am »

Yeah, but you have to figure out the point where we sacrifice realism for coolness.
Pages: 1 ... 683 684 [685] 686 687 ... 1065