Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3574290 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10230 on: January 12, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »

And would iron doors take longer to break down than paper wooden doors?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10231 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:43 pm »

Now I wanna make elves who "wear" kerosene "armor"...

They'd have lots of FUN.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10232 on: January 12, 2010, 02:16:46 pm »

Heh, I've just been reading those quotes and it got me thinking... would wooden armor be actually viable now against bludgeoning attacks as it can absorb and dissipate a force more effectively than say iron?

If it is sufficiently thick enough, maybe, but it would heavily sacrifice mobility and flexibility. And of course, no two types of wood are exactly the same.

I'm sure there is some chart somewhere that lists wood's capability against bludgeoning attacks or something against other types.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10233 on: January 12, 2010, 02:25:11 pm »

And would iron doors take longer to break down than paper wooden doors?

Yes, that'd be a nice addition. Let any sentient invader be able to knock down doors, but depending on their strength/damage they might only get through wood and glass, and slowly through stone, but never through iron. That kind of thing.

All in good time...

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10234 on: January 12, 2010, 02:30:56 pm »

this opens up many possibilities for composite constructions. i hope things such as doors are treated as entities with body parts so the siegers must actually destroy the door to break in eg: dum dum mckobolt swipes at the iron Door's upper hinges with his lizard bone dagger: the blow glances away... OR Orc #09374618 beats the Iron bound door's lower hinge with his Steel club: The hinge shatters and the door swings open.

You have to admit it has potential

Maybe also with repairs being able to be done to buildings say if in previous attack the door handle is broken off the door needs to be repaired before it can be opened

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10235 on: January 12, 2010, 02:37:21 pm »

Only problem though is how to handle structure damage and HPs, so I think goblins will still be stopped by even a thin glass door.

Plate glass or otherwise reinforced glass would give a bit of time, but even a determined kobold could break through it given time and the right tools.

The whole structure damage and building HP stuff was discussed a couple months ago, so its at least 200 pages back.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10236 on: January 12, 2010, 03:08:28 pm »

ah ok sorry im a lil behind the times... of course it would have to be made balanced

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10237 on: January 12, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »

Yes, let's balance reality. From now on, the glass the windows of your house are made of can stop a baseball since it's harder to get than the wood the rest of it is made out of. Oh, but now it takes robbers far less to time to break down your door because the wood has suddenly gotten much easier to break since it's easy to get.

;)
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10238 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:10 pm »

Toady, will there be the option to export the new detailed combat logs?

I wouldn't mind making a parser for them and create something like an achievement system.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10239 on: January 12, 2010, 04:00:54 pm »

Only problem though is how to handle structure damage and HPs,
Nah, handle that same as for critters- by structural properties ;)
Only problem is tilesize- we don't know how big things are. After all, a tile is big enough to hold a million dragons recumbent, yet too small to allow two dwarves to walk past one another.... ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10240 on: January 12, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »

Only problem though is how to handle structure damage and HPs, so I think goblins will still be stopped by even a thin glass door.

Plate glass or otherwise reinforced glass would give a bit of time, but even a determined kobold could break through it given time and the right tools.

The whole structure damage and building HP stuff was discussed a couple months ago, so its at least 200 pages back.
There would have to be a minor change for a combination of partial damage and repair to be a useful mechanic for doors and walls; currently dwarves can smooth the inside of a magma pipe from outside it, and Toady would have to update the implementation of such things to factor in sides (such smoothing a wall only working on the side the job is done). Otherwise we could just have the classic RTS stand-off: attackers chopping at the front of your tower, defenders repairing it from behind.

I'm sure Toady will get around to that eventually. It's an understandably low priority at this point. It might make sense to do it during the siege improvements however.

As to those combat damage mechanics quotes... I'm getting shivers just thinking about it. Soon slimes will be a viable enemy. And ballooning spiders. And so much wonderful awesome stuff to manifest our wildest dreams nightmares.

If I understand correctly, tissue layers will rupture or split if enough force of the appropriate type is applied. Will it be possible for layers to slough off? As an example, could a limb conceivably be stripped of the muscle and flesh, assuming that the creature somehow survived? Similarly, could an organ embedded in a particular layer fall out due to damage to surrounding tissue?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10241 on: January 12, 2010, 04:18:16 pm »

If I understand correctly, tissue layers will rupture or split if enough force of the appropriate type is applied. Will it be possible for layers to slough off? As an example, could a limb conceivably be stripped of the muscle and flesh, assuming that the creature somehow survived? Similarly, could an organ embedded in a particular layer fall out due to damage to surrounding tissue?

I sense dark intentions behind these questions  :-X

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10242 on: January 12, 2010, 04:22:34 pm »

Ballooning spiders? I think we're still multiple key mechanics short of actual physics-based flight/gliding.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10243 on: January 12, 2010, 04:25:43 pm »

Ballooning spiders? I think we're still multiple key mechanics short of actual physics-based flight/gliding.
Unfortunately yes, but I figure a big balloon of silk coming from the spinneret filled with a light gas (hydrogen for flammability!) and the [FLIER] tag would be good enough for now. It would have to be inflated permanently for the caste though, which could be funny anyway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10244 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »

You'd have to have some pretty bizarre biology to get diatomic hydrogen gas, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 [683] 684 685 ... 1065