Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3572591 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10200 on: January 11, 2010, 07:13:37 pm »

It would also be rather nifty to be informed about the sounds of people talking in a city, or the birds chirping in a forest, if it only played the announcement once upon entering the area. Listening to the mundane sounds in detail would depend upon the player hitting the "listen button". Of course, this paints a pretty grim picture for our framerates, with the game having to perform several distance checks every tick, just to calculate the apparent loudness of nearby birds.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10201 on: January 11, 2010, 07:19:55 pm »

Actually, classic roguelikes suggest an easy alternative to constant checks - check once when you enter an area/landmark (such as the central market in a town), and then only check when the player uses the "listen" skill, with maybe a check every minute or two of RL play to preserve at least some passive awareness ability.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: January 11, 2010, 07:29:22 pm »

It would also be rather nifty to be informed about the sounds of people talking in a city, or the birds chirping in a forest, if it only played the announcement once upon entering the area. Listening to the mundane sounds in detail would depend upon the player hitting the "listen button". Of course, this paints a pretty grim picture for our framerates, with the game having to perform several distance checks every tick, just to calculate the apparent loudness of nearby birds.

It definitely would not need to do distance checks every tick, at least in a sane implementation.  If a sound occurs, it does a one-time distance check to creatures that might be interested in hearing it.

Actually, classic roguelikes suggest an easy alternative to constant checks - check once when you enter an area/landmark (such as the central market in a town), and then only check when the player uses the "listen" skill, with maybe a check every minute or two of RL play to preserve at least some passive awareness ability.

For background sounds, that's fine, but those by definition don't really need distance checks anyway.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:12 pm »

Setting aside the speech sounds, the question of how to summarize sounds of combat is interesting. It seems to me there are three potentially competing goals:

• Realistic distinctions between what you can and can't hear.
  • Non-distracting presentation.
  • Simplicity.

For instance. One solution would be to give every individual combat message a sound (or none if relatively silent). So you might see something like "You hear a crash. You hear a crash. You hear a crunch. You hear a crash. You hear a thud. You hear a cry of pain." That satisfies realism, and it would be relatively simple, but it's barely less annoying than what we have now.

A more satisfying solution would give a natural sounding summary of the loudest sounds like "You hear a scuffle." or "You hear sounds of a large battle." But that would require each sound to have some kind of loudness rating, and adding them all up while keeping track of anything else relevant like whether it's animals or humanoids fighting. It should ideally give some indication about distance and possibly direction too.

And to cut down on spam it probably shouldn't inform you every round that fighting is still going on, just occasionally, unless the sounds have got louder since the last message.
Akur Akir Akam!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: January 11, 2010, 10:21:36 pm »

Quote from: the devlog
I should be done with underground civs tomorrow.

I'm surprised to not see more people talking about this.  Super viruses aside, I'm so glad to see the big nebulous stumbling block of development finally done and gone.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: January 11, 2010, 10:29:49 pm »

I'm surprised to not see more people talking about this.  Super viruses aside, I'm so glad to see the big nebulous stumbling block of development finally done and gone.

Yeah, that caught my attention. I was going to form up a last Masters Competition as a send-off to 40d, but I'm wondering if we're now close enough to the new version to just wait and do the first under the new version.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: January 11, 2010, 10:37:02 pm »

What's the version number suuposed to be? It may soon be time to start working on updating the wiki.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:37 pm »

Somewhere between 41 and 50, although chances are that even the 0.28 will change.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: January 11, 2010, 10:50:52 pm »

I think the importance of sounds should be inversely related to their frequency.  So talking in cities and battle sounds in battle should both be tuned out more because they are more common in their respective locations.  You could change volume or detail of description based on the number of occurrences in the last x minutes.  As a bonus, this emulates the way we pay attention to things in real life.  There would have to be an override for instances like people you are talking to (and listening to directly) as well as for bits of information flagged as interesting-which could be based on various things about your character (history, quests, ect) 

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58:59 pm »

This was the latest breakdown I could find of the underground to-dos: "I also organized the remaining underground notes and threw various things out for this release, so I'm down now to needed work in various categories. More or less it boils down to testing out the new life and populations more, testing out and fixing up the underground animal people civilizations, fixing map quibbles, deciding what to do with the rope stuff, and dealing with a few hanging issues with the stuff I put in the spoiler before."

So after he finishes underground civs, there's still the rope issue and possibly some other stuff.  But it's getting closer!

What's the version number suuposed to be? It may soon be time to start working on updating the wiki.

Nobody knows yet, probably not even Toady, since it'll depend on how many dev items end up getting checked off.  I made a prediction a while back:

As a follow up to this, I went through the Core/Req/Bloat items to see which ones were likely to be marked as completed.

Based on this, my prediction for the next version number is DF v0.31.208.55a.  I included all of the ones I thought probable and 1/3 of the others, so it's complete BS, but hey.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:49 pm »

Not long now I reckon...
Can't wait to see whats been cooking...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: January 12, 2010, 01:12:36 am »

I want to know if this means that he will be done with the underground week, or if he just finished another part of the underground but still has a few more days before moving onto something else...

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: January 12, 2010, 02:20:27 am »

The would certainly be interesting to see hapen in the game but how in the world could you have the game generate tactics for the predators like that?

Learning AI. Would eat the pants off a modern system, but systems X years from now might be able to pull it off.
Making Ai that isn't tricks and hacks mostly involves uber-computing and ultra-programming. Unless someone goes and makes a package where it's mostly done I don't think the time to develop a system like that is something we want to wait through.

What it could do is it could filter important information depending on your situation.

The sound of people speaking in a city is unimportant.

The sound of speaking in a deep cave is very important.

However, how does it determine what your situation is?

Maybe there could be a bunch of options settings to help determine this, however it could get overcomplicated doing it that way.
Maybe not. I thought IF had had this sort of thing for quite awhile and I doubt there's anything you really couldn't appropriate from that that you'd want to.

You might be able to just give sounds something like sphere information and then announce the ones that didn't match known conditions.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: January 12, 2010, 02:29:06 am »

If you're talking aboult Interactive Fiction, that's all scripted. It wouldn't be much use in this sort of situation. Now I have to give Zork another go. Thanks for killing my week.  ;)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: January 12, 2010, 06:17:49 am »

The would certainly be interesting to see hapen in the game but how in the world could you have the game generate tactics for the predators like that?

Learning AI. Would eat the pants off a modern system, but systems X years from now might be able to pull it off.
Making Ai that isn't tricks and hacks mostly involves uber-computing and ultra-programming. Unless someone goes and makes a package where it's mostly done I don't think the time to develop a system like that is something we want to wait through.
A genetic algorithm might be able to develop the fighting styles, but it would have significant disadvantages. First and foremost, it wouldn't be realtime. So it would have to develop a non-situational fighting style based purely on information in the raws at worldgen, or we would have to sit through the algorithm every time we wanted to update a creature's fighting style. Could actually be done, but as you say, I sure as hell don't want Toady to spend his time on such a solution when he has much better things he could do. I think simplistic AI is fine for now. Maybe consider better AI (apart from sieges) for version 2 or some other far off date.
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 1065