Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)  (Read 35883 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2011, 01:57:04 am »

What should I choose my sphere as, as a new player?
Agriculture is the easiest start, as you are guaranteed a profit by imperial subsidy no matter where you build your farms.

You will make a far better profit, however, if you only build them on planets which need the food.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:00 pm »

What Sphere should I choose?

A small, temperate planet with a medium population.
This planet is prosperous and has adequate mineral resources. It suffers from non-existent levels of crime and disorder.
Next Senate election 21st Glory year 8. Campaigning will begin in 5 months time.

Spoiler: Trade Info (click to show/hide)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2011, 01:42:59 pm »

Personally I would go for construction :P generates a decent amount of income on every planet type.

And anyone in capricorn?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2011, 01:43:29 pm »

Agriculture isn't bad for a new house. You are guaranteed to make a profit by the imperial subsidy.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2011, 02:14:24 pm »

Took agriculture.

LordZarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2011, 02:43:41 pm »

By conventional wisdom, construction is the worst sphere in the game, no questions asked. In actuality, you can pull a mediocre profit from construction, but basically only due to the fact that you'll be the only one in your range operating it, with no competition. If that's not the case...

Agriculture is the second most terrible sphere in the game, by conventional wisdom. In actuality, there are several caveats to this. If you are under 50 status, of course, you /receive/ subsidies instead of paying them, and so it's actually a very good sphere. However, you'll fairly soon (or, hopefully you will) break 50 status and by then you should have closed down Agriculture and opened something else. So that's a hassle. On the other hand, if the subsidies you have to pay are taken out of the picture (due to refunding through some agreement, or your farms not being in Imperial Jurisdiction--or your farms being in Gemini) the sphere can make a mediocre profit. But, as with construction, if there's much competition at all...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:45 pm »

By conventional wisdom, construction is the worst sphere in the game, no questions asked. In actuality, you can pull a mediocre profit from construction, but basically only due to the fact that you'll be the only one in your range operating it, with no competition. If that's not the case...

Agriculture is the second most terrible sphere in the game, by conventional wisdom. In actuality, there are several caveats to this. If you are under 50 status, of course, you /receive/ subsidies instead of paying them, and so it's actually a very good sphere. However, you'll fairly soon (or, hopefully you will) break 50 status and by then you should have closed down Agriculture and opened something else. So that's a hassle. On the other hand, if the subsidies you have to pay are taken out of the picture (due to refunding through some agreement, or your farms not being in Imperial Jurisdiction--or your farms being in Gemini) the sphere can make a mediocre profit. But, as with construction, if there's much competition at all...

what why is construction the worst? cause i did pick PSI to begin with but in Capricorn everything is over-saturated so bad, and construction was the only thing where there was hardly any comp.... where i am its so hard to generate decent cash flow. and what sphere should i pick then? ( im a lesser house with 28 points)
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »

My house has a ton of buildings.  I expand across most of the planets in most of the known galaxy.

To give you an idea of what I have in buildings right now: 170k-200k facility maintenance
My status is not yet near 50.
I do not yet have military.

To give you an idea of how exploitable Agricultural Sphere is if you are just content with building up for that...

There was a less then 50 status house who gamed the whole Agricultural Sphere thing in Baade.  Food prices on essentially all planets were down.  Water prices were high.  His Agricultural monopoly broke down when the empress went crazy and dropped all planets from imperial jurisdiction. (Only planets within IJ get the agricultural subsidy.)  He lost tons of monies. And then decided to just restart.
On a more positive note: Food and water are now within tradeable price range.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:37 pm »

Took agriculture.
I see you're in Gemini with me. I'll PM you, if you want to join our alliance you're welcome to do so and we can help you out with anything you might need.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:55 am »

HOLYCRAP! I'm getting nearly 60k in finical aid.
---
And I've made a spread sheet to help with my Mercantile house.

Its quite nice. I've made it have adjustable price difference, and tells me how many Hubs, Centers and outpost to make. It also tells me if I'm importing or exporting a good.

The crap thing though, that thanks to Kincald house pirating, that its almost pointless to to be a Mercantile house. 8/

I was making a profit, but right now I'm loosing about 200 solars a day. Hopefully the spread sheet will stop this.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2011, 01:46:09 am »

The crap thing though, that thanks to Kincald house pirating, that its almost pointless to to be a Mercantile house. 8/

Mercantiling it up.  I'm tentatively in the yellow-green while Kincaid is on her rampage.  But, I have a supporting business structure that I'm monopolizing on in tandem with my Mercantiling.  Very very vulnerable though.  Any house wanting to mess me up can basically knock off 2/3 of my house with a single successful attack if they wanted to.

I tried to make a spreadsheet thing, but it got too cumbersome updating it.  Probably not as sophisticated as yours to begin with.

Also, just so you know, some of the bigger houses in Baade don't like Merchants.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2011, 02:19:04 am »

From what I've notice so far in Baade, that since /everything/ is saturated the prices are stable.
So, I dont plan to update them very often.

Whats cool with how I've set it up, its not that annoying to add new systems.

Its not as complicated as my Monopoly spreadsheet.

If you're interested, I'll see how well google docs handles it.

The most complicated part is the Import Export NA thing. Its also the most time consuming, as it does not Copy and Paste well in Excel, so you have to manually change the cell references for each trade good.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2011, 02:31:38 am »

Yea, I had trouble with the copy pasting too.

Oh yea, about the saturation....  doing my best to become part of the problem.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2011, 03:09:56 am »

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AraFWq7Z6Ga5dDk1ME1wbUJSSWhLRnZkVGZzS002NXc&hl=en&authkey=CM6Vg08

If anyone wants, go ahead and make yerself a copy of this one. If you need me to explain it, let me know. Google Doc seems to have done an okay job with converting it from Excel. Some of the formatting went wonky.

I'm using the original from Excel. To add more planets, more less copy the formulas, and make sure to include the hidden one on U. I made the text white.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2011, 06:37:58 am »

This game suffers from a severe lack of information tools.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23