Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)  (Read 35820 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Imperium Nova (space opera browser game)
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2011, 08:26:48 am »

Oh man zarth?! You're here at bay12 as well? Awesomeness!

Also, the wiki since I didn't see any links to it in the thread.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2011, 08:47:36 am »

The game is pretty fun, but parts of the community that will remain unnamed are some real drama queens.
I had forgotten how grossly inflated egos and how huge senses of entitlement some roleplayers online have

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2011, 09:30:06 am »

The game is pretty fun, but parts of the community that will remain unnamed are some real drama queens.
I had forgotten how grossly inflated egos and how huge senses of entitlement some roleplayers online have
Treat them as political landmines, both OOC and IC.  Limit interaction with them in OOC, while still talking to the rest.  Blow them upCripple their means of military retaliation when given the chance IC.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordZarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2011, 11:13:06 am »

Oh man zarth?! You're here at bay12 as well? Awesomeness!

Also, the wiki since I didn't see any links to it in the thread.

Pretty much only on this thread. :P

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2011, 08:03:52 am »

Awesome sauce, I just a 25k finical subsidiary.

With this awesome amount in the bank, I've decided to fund research and get some covert opts agents training passively as counter espionage agents. With the Elite education that I am providing one of the younglings, that 3k down the hole.

It'll still leave me with plenty as I get the various Trade Hubs I need get up. I might invest in a Public Work, as soon as my trade profits are doing okay.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2011, 10:10:43 am »

I'd advise against public works early on as they don't give you much benefit. Influence only decreases costs to a maximum of 10% IIRC and you need a lot of influence for even that. Spend the money on technology instead, if you fall behind the tech average you start losing a lots of profits, if you however manage to get ahead of the tech average your profits will rise quite nicely. Educating your dynasty members is important as good retainers are expensive. Luck.

LordZarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »

I'd advise against public works early on as they don't give you much benefit. Influence only decreases costs to a maximum of 10% IIRC and you need a lot of influence for even that. Spend the money on technology instead, if you fall behind the tech average you start losing a lots of profits, if you however manage to get ahead of the tech average your profits will rise quite nicely. Educating your dynasty members is important as good retainers are expensive. Luck.

I'll echo Xanatos. Don't build Public Works, period, when you're expanding. Sure, influence is a good thing, but you should spend your hard-earned cash on economic facilities, which will give you influence /and/ make you more money.

Technology is also quite important, as Xanatos said. If you're in Baade, Capricorn, or Eridanus, even with the highest research budget you'll be falling way behind without the Technology sphere, I think. If you're in the sphere, then Research Facilities can fix that and bring you above the average, even, but those don't make money. If you want to pursue that path I'd advise asking around in those galaxies for words of advice about minimizing the cost of a large research program. For any new player, especially if you're not running the sphere, technology concessions from houses who do have said Research Facilities will be invaluable.

Draco and Gemini have out-of-character rules regarding technology. Building Research Facilities in those galaxies is absolutely prohibited, as many feel that's a broken aspect of the game. So the only way to increase your tech in either is with your research budget. This means houses operating in the sphere will be able to have higher budgets and increase their tech above the average, and those without will not. On the other hand, because of the Research Facility ban the tech gaps are still very small, and the penalties for someone who's behind (and the bonuses if one's ahead) are much smaller than in the other galaxies. Still, it's imperative to always have one's research budget as high as it possibly goes.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2011, 05:45:33 pm »

Is it possible to steal tech, through covert ops for example, or is it only through buildings and concessions?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2011, 07:16:20 pm »

I had a goal of becoming the most influential house on my home planet, but seems to be nay impossible. The public works idea, was in relation to the that, along with seeing about planetary governorship. I dont want my second sphere to be a cash sink.

The tech average for Baade is 30.4, and I'm at 30.3. Though I don't know how much of a gap this is. But I dont think its to far behind.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »

What should I choose my sphere as, as a new player?

LordZarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2011, 07:35:17 pm »

Sartain: Yes, I didn't think to mention that. One can steal tech using covert ops, if the target has a higher score, although that's not an easy way of gaining any reliable sum of technology even with experienced agents. Also, destroying someone's headquarters, or destroying their Research Facilities, again if they have a higher tech score, will net you some technological gain. With the latter, one can also perhaps arrange with another house to build Research Facilities for the express purpose of destruction for the tech gain. However, whereas most Technology sphere houses are happy to grant Research Concessions to new houses regularly, as I gather, a "Tech Transfer" -- the above method -- is not a habitual occurrence.

MrWiggles: That's a minuscule gap, because new houses start at the average. It's a testament to how easy it is to fall behind, especially in B, C, or E, if you're not very careful, though, that you're already behind by .1.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2011, 07:36:05 pm »

The wiki and new player tips suggest Agriculture, unless your home world is airless. I think Geology is the second suggested choice.

I went with Mercantile.

You should probably stay away from the money sink spheres.

LordZarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »

Depends, although general advice is widely available. Here has some advice: http://inwiki.wikispot.org/Newbie_Guide

If you're currently engaged in making a house, though, perhaps I can get you more specific advice. What galaxy and planet are you slated to pop up on?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »

If you're in Gemini, you should probably avoid Psionics. Both because the market seems pretty saturated and because I'm doing it and plan on working to keep my market as free of competition as I can without getting into trouble   8)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2011, 11:39:15 pm »

Back when I took the game for a spin when this thread first started, I was in Draco galaxy and the tech system was seriously FUBAR.  There was this elaborate system regulating technologies and subsidizing new players and whatnot.  When I resigned from the game I commented that the goal of their system was apparently to allow everybody to be above average in tech.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23