Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Gigantic turtles  (Read 16590 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Gigantic turtles
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 07:28:24 pm »

All good turtle fortress owners know to make the lower levels of their fortress able to be waterproofed just in case the turtle decides to submerge itself like the ones in Frogger, except bigger. If you're on a smaller turtle then you might want to do the whole thing since your mountain will be shorter and you don't know how deep these guys swim.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 07:39:56 pm »

My proposition was made in order to make it still move according to it's own will in general. The levers wouldn't make it step, but more like, force it's head to turn to one side, to make it move in that general direction, like reigns on a horse. I like the idea of it's movement being mostly out of your control. Mostly is important.

Being a turtle, it should also be able to swim and float on water.
One, elves will bitch at you ( those who you jack from to support your sock industry ) because of the dramatic increase in unhappy giants.

My way makes it have a longer lifetime ( innards are the key ) .

Two, are we talking about sliders, turtles, or tortoises?

Three, less labor.

Athisus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:13 pm »

This is all well and good, but none of you are making the correct suggestions. What you all should be thinking is how one could station the turtle's limbs atop 4 elephants.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:58 pm »

Better yet, we should have giant elephants buried under jungles.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 01:39:48 am »

No no no, everyone knows that giant porcupines live under jungles. The trees are just their quills, sprouting.
For they would be your masters.

Apegrape

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop that, it's silly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 10:29:08 am »

I'm a fan of the idea. They might be controllable by inserting mechanisms in their head or around their necks connected to two levers. When the right one is on, it trends toward the right, when the left is on, it trends toward the left, when they're both on, it moves forward, neither on, it stops.

Do you think we could have elephants standing on the shell too, holding up the the mound of earth on their backs? and perhaps we can have names for the turtles. Names like A'tuin.
Also, rig up a fifth elephant to blow the whole thing up. Make it out of gold for bonus points.
This is -ing good wood!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 10:32:05 am »

Pah, ride your turtlefortress. I'm going to ride into this world in a giant crabfortress.

Think that one town in Morrowind where the nobility live inside a giant crab shell. Only larger, and alive.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 01:22:29 pm »

Giant enemy crab?!
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 01:37:31 pm »

This isn't Dwarf Fortress until the turtle is evil and cursed, contains a volcano, the fortress is build inside that, and the turtle dives under water. Of course, a REAL dwarf build his keep on a giant carp.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 05:18:50 pm »

Giant enemy crab?!

The flying +Iron Arrow+ strikes the giant enemy crab in the weak point!
It is massively damaged!
Shoes...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 07:06:30 am »

Gigantic snails, or at least their shells, would be possible too.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 01:34:19 pm »

Also, rig up a fifth elephant to blow the whole thing up. Make it out of gold for bonus points.

They didn't call them Fat Mines for nothing, you know.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 04:40:41 pm »

Obviously, giant creatures should not be hardcoded.  The default ones should be turtles, squid, whales, and any other creatures that have traditional stories about giant versions of themselves.  Giant cats will need to be modded in by the player, for example.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 05:34:43 pm »

This all begs the question: What if I want to build my dwarf fortress on a giant dwarf?
For they would be your masters.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 05:46:18 pm »

wow..just wow. This must be the weirdest suggestion ever?  :o
I don't know what to say...I like the idea itself, but it's way too nonsensical for my taste. Either way, I am not against it, because gameplay diversity is nr 1. on my "what makes a game good" list.  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8