Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Practical uses for a dwarfputer?  (Read 8789 times)

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Practical uses for a dwarfputer?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2009, 12:51:26 am »

Try making a board game. Like Connect 4 (between two human players)

Diabl0658

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2009, 12:57:19 am »

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^X
+^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^+
X^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X is wall, + is door, ^ is spear trap, and _ is pressure plate.

I am actually going to try something like this, only in a much more subtle way. Im going to start out with a counter, counting up 1 each time a dwarf enters or leaves the dining room. Eventually I will make the computer perform certain actions at set intervals, starting with locking random doors all the way up to flooding sections of my fort with magma. The only rule the computer has to follow is that no dwarf shall die in the dining hall.

Il figure out a way to make a psuedo-random number generator as well
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:07:11 am by Diabl0658 »

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2009, 10:32:26 am »

A PRNG is quite easy really: Just have a flipflop and put 1s on SET and CLEAR simultaneously.  If the water supply is just right, the output will be a prandom sequence of 1s and 0s.  Put 8 in parallel and you get prnums up to 255...

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 4040? :p  (If you have a 'microcomputer' ie. a 'computer on a chip', you don't need to hard-wire the program in gates, you can do it in ROM)  Not that I'm going to try building it of course!
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2009, 11:36:14 am »

THis may be too "borg logic" for you, but... capture a gremlin. stick him in a room full of levers...
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 11:56:40 am »

THis may be too "borg logic" for you, but... capture a gremlin. stick him in a room full of levers...
That's awesome really... link the levers to random events like flooding the room, opening a door to freedom...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2009, 12:08:29 pm »

That's awesome really... link the levers to random events like flooding the room, opening a door to freedom...
Not really what I was going for. I was thinking more connect levers to a system needing random input to generate a number just wanted to shorten the work needed for a pseudo random input.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2009, 12:16:57 pm »

Not really what I was going for. I was thinking more connect levers to a system needing random input to generate a number just wanted to shorten the work needed for a pseudo random input.
Right... I was just expanding it a bit ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2009, 03:30:24 pm »

My first point is an implementation of a finite-string Turing machine input.

The second point is helping someone with their display idea.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Diabl0658

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2009, 06:23:51 pm »

For a display you could use a large room full of doors that the computer could open and close to form a picture. For a simple black and white screen you could simply have white doors on a black floor. Color would also be possible.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2009, 09:25:08 pm »

Diablo i like your idea but how yould color be possible? i mean are you suggesting different colour doors/floors?, if so its only limited to 2 colours and would make sence in somebodys mind, the cool thing about your door idea though is that its instant and would be faster than the liquid idea + we wouldn't have represntational colours, just black and white, Could you draw us up a plan possibly?
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

Diabl0658

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2009, 09:47:21 pm »

Its a big room filled with doors, each door connected to the computer. I havent a clue about how the computer will look, that all depends on what you want the "screen" to display. If you wanted an RGB display you would need red blue and green doors on a black floor. A true RGB display would be very sloppy looking close up and would need to be very big and looked at from a great distance to work. Heres one possible pixel arrangement for an RGB screen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RGB_pixels.jpg

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2009, 09:59:38 pm »

its a good idea diablo but i dont think it will work in df properly (all the player will see is red green and blue and couldn't make any sense of it at all!)

Diabl0658

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2009, 10:37:58 pm »

It would be possible to make a "screen" so large that you could play dwarf fortress within dwarf fortress, though you would be limited to using a 1x1 area while needing an atleast 8x12 area to fit the screen in, not to mention the actual computer!

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2009, 10:47:40 pm »

Hmm agreed, I think its time to move to annother few threads, ill start 3 up for:

1 Discusion and ideas realated to the creation of a computer 'cpu'.
2 Parts for computer (ie memory, screens, mouses etc).
3 Programms for the computer.

These threads will be put up today with relevant ideas and i will use the first post to summarise all the ideas of the post + also say what should be written about in this thread

+ also wiki pages for important ideas + significant ideas (links will be provided when possible)

Diabl0658

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2009, 01:06:49 am »

Btw, has anyone actually built a computer yet? Id love to see one in action.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5