Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Practical uses for a dwarfputer?  (Read 8785 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Practical uses for a dwarfputer?
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:05 pm »

Hello everyone. I have another grand design for my fortress, with all major complexes, from dining rooms to workshops, being 16x16 areas separated by wall. Each 16x16 module is used for either residential purposes, dining, industrial, or storage purposes. On the following diagram, each is marked as an X; C represents a command center where Dorfputer Science majors make a living pulling levers.

XXX
XCX
XXX

The actual control center looks something like this:

uuuuuuuoouuuuuuu
uoooooooooooooou
uoooooooooooooou
uoouuyyooyyuuoou
uoouyyyooyyyuoou
uooyyyyooyyyyoou
uooyyyyooyyyyoou
oooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooo
uooyyyyooyyyyoou
uooyyyyooyyyyoou
uoouyyyooyyyuoou
uoouuyyooyyuuoou
uoooooooooooooou
uoooooooooooooou
uuuuuuuoouuuuuuu
where y is a wall, o is an open space, and u is a lever. The way this is done, there are exactly 64 levers in such the control room, 8 for each corresponding room.

My question is: What CAN I do with these levers? For farming rooms, I considered using them as a means of rerouting water from assorted reservoirs, while for industrial rooms, it would drop all dumped items into a drawbridge conveyor belt system to allow items to go from point a to point b...

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Practical uses for a dwarfputer?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:50:32 pm »

Don't think that qualifies as a dwarfputer, and as to what you can do with it, no idea.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:54:21 pm »

Lever-operated doors.

EVERYWHERE.

Sure it won't be practical, but if you keep the overlord of the dwarfpiter safe you won't need entrance defenses. Just set the doors to lead them to the death room. Or make every room a death room controllable from the dwarfputer.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:56:27 pm »

You could set up a room-cleaning system with airlocks and magma...

Lever A = seal outer locks
Lever B = seal inner locks
Lever A = unseal outer locks
Lever A = reseal outer locks
Lever B = unseal inner locks

This sequence will allow dwarves to leave a room but not reenter.  Then use

Lever C = let magma in
Lever C = stop letting magma in
Lever D = let magma out

to clear out any socks the dwarves have left around the place.  You could probably even set things up so that when magma is 2/7 in each corner, the drains open up.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:01:28 pm »

That's not a computer

A real dwarven computer sets off the drowning chamber automatically and drains it after a time and the whole system entirely resets ready for another go. Bonus points if it'll only trigger when the cistern is full

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:05:21 pm »

Ive seen a Vid where a floodgate/pressure plate setup with water using a series of tunnels did something fun.
At "Default" the flooded tunnels would make a happy face and the trade depot room would be open.
But when a single lever is pulled tunnels drain and flood to make an angry face. The Trade depot room is then flooded with magma for several minutes then it drains and resets back to "Default"
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:05:03 pm »

You wana see a TRUE computer? look to the faithful wiki!

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Mechanical_logic

+ the wiki could do with the idea of magma manipulation
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:32:45 pm »

Read mechanical logic, and the beauty of such a system is that by using the pressure plates to simulate memory, we can make the plates reprogrammable by designating mechanisms for dumping as needed, with the mechanisms to control screw pump and overall power being separate from the rest.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 09:27:40 pm »

However, when using flow or creature logic, be sure to design your systems like a critical system - since flow and creature movement can occur in an instant while there is a huge switching delay, deadlocks/hazards may occur. The good thing is: this ensures you have to install lots of additional logic to keep your fortress safe from race conditions, making it something really dwarfputerish.
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 09:33:40 pm »

Ah, race conditions where dwarves running different speeds may actually foul up the race...

Or falling asleep.  :D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:35:16 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 10:40:12 pm »

When goblins = here and magma = hot, open floodgate.
When elves = Trading and Floor = built, drop floor

Its like what players already do, BUT AUTOMATIC :o!

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »

You let elves smear your precious fortifications? Better throw them back to where they come from with the help of the fully automated catapudrawbridge! Now in 400 different sizes!
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:49 pm »

You let elves smear your precious fortifications? Better throw them back to where they come from with the help of the fully automated catapudrawbridge! Now in 400 different sizes!
Better yet, when Elves = Elves Drop 4/7 water with carp onto a drawbridge that's aimed at a magma pipe.
Then fling them.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:19:28 am »

No no no! your missing the knowlege, so i should appolgise im talking about a TRUE computer. A computer is by definition a mechanical device that uses a source of power (either electric or mechanical) to follow a set set of instructions programed by a user. Of which it then solves by itself, no user input apart from activation is needed.

now that is a computer, but remember a computer also needs another vital bit of equipment to function with its programmed data.... damn, i love being cryptic
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

James Sunderland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 11:51:30 am »

Make some sort of emergency lock-down system for each room. Floodgates appear in-front of the exits/entrances and then the retracted spikes that are all linked up to one lever and that are in every tile of said room perforate the enemy. You can do this repeatedly until they are dead if you hit 'pull lever-repeat'. But you probably already knew that. Bonus points if you somehow get "INTRUDER INTRUDER INTRUDER" as some sort of alarm.
Until I embarked on a map with an aquifer, I had always taken rocks for granite.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5