Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Demographics screen  (Read 2044 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demographics screen
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 04:04:11 pm »

Better idea: Give that to the Philosopher.

It would make sense, though, for the mayor to do things like find out what the other dwarves are worried about.  It's an extension of their current role in listening to people's complaints about job scarcity.  I don't see how philosophy plays into it at all.

The Philosopher talks to people and currently does not have a job function at all.

If you task the mayor with gathering information he'll be unavailable for the dozen other jobs he already has.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »

The only thing a mayor does pertaining to his office is being a shoulder to cry on.. which is exactly what is needed. Maybe he should meet more systematically.. but as it is now, the mayor has a job like everyone else and that doesn't cause problems.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 05:19:20 pm »

I reckon the bookkeeper would make the most sense. He's a census orientated type of guy.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 07:31:51 pm »

I don't think you would be able to get enough detail on an ascii graph for it to be worth it.

Gfx + text will be separated in the future. So even graphical graphs should be possible to implement.

I reckon the bookkeeper would make the most sense. He's a census orientated type of guy.

I agree, this should be the bookkeeper's job.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:34:26 pm by Tormy »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 07:53:58 pm »

I'd put it with the mayor. Not as a separate job, but just as a "what things are people complaining to you the most about?" that you could ask through the nobles screen. Of course, by gathering it through the people who come to complain to him, it might not be accurate at all times.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 08:42:30 pm »

Or maybe have the mayor gain a lackey who searches for and publishes demographics? As part of the campaign to get reelected, of course.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:55 am »

Or how about a combonation of both? i like the idea of a lakey + effects on the political relection of mayors but thats for another thread (annother idea annother thread)

to start off simple with my chain, mayor = boss of the whole organisation.
All he spends his time doing for this is a short say 5 game days every 3 months (seasonal whatever way you like it) signing buracratic authorisations ( dwarfven burocracy! ohh no the sin!!  :'( ) to do all this work, and occasionly reading a snipit of information that might just help his next counseling victim patients with their problems. He of course controlls..

THE .... goon?
of course this guys talks alot, and probably got employed by the mayor beacuse of one meetings said we need less unemploymen kinda thing, and was paid in booze ( dwarfven way of i-o-u(well any dwarf would do this job if he knew his booze was being bumpted up )). His job is to wonder around the fort talking to drunk pesants, nobles and of course dwarfs in a *possesed* mood for the greater good known as demograpics! ( bonus add he also converses with creatures taged as intellegent in your dungeon

Dwarf: how do you feel currently?

Goblin: I feel great in here i mean you guys are the best love the craftman ship of the cage, i mean im over the  moon about all you guys make it really is some the the best work i have seen from, uhh anything!?

Dwarf: NEXT!!!

(This was the first known lie carved into dullrocks engraved yearly cencus of the year 1067 ( this year featuring a expanded "you know your noble's" section))

Book keeper ( yes he has a job!)
what he does is goes throught the reports made by the (sligtly drunken) quizdwarf ( ohh yay a tag for the goon  :D)  and colates the data forming you guessed it your demmographics pannel!

now the chain obviously has will do sompthing usefull, perhaps auto ai commands for manager? (if we get that far) nobles finaly have a use and read the report not making mandates for pitchblend thrones when of course it was all used up making a whole set of funiture for the said noble

Anyway if tody was looking for a excuse for burocracy, he's found one. ( Now we can start compling a list of useless goverment offices and our nobles screen will be bursting of dull activitys!)

Remember people all it needs is a few dull facts and the fortress will be LIVING on them in 20 years

of course that is the wost thing we could think of as players so well be looking to discard the burcracy part and provide us with those core facts that we need, nothing more

Appologies on my change of thoughts and ideas so quickly turned out it didnt help illustrate anything
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 10:38:14 am »

Don't forget the value of this data for balancing mods and such...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 03:30:38 pm »

I don't think you would be able to get enough detail on an ascii graph for it to be worth it.

Gfx + text will be separated in the future. So even graphical graphs should be possible to implement.
Press V. Actually, don't if you're using one of the newer versions (40d2-8) because I don't think it works in them. It should work in the original 40d.

The point is that this isn't ASCII, it's OpenGL or whatever. We don't need to make the graphs out of letters.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 06:45:42 pm »

Look at Tropico for an example of some of the best demographics ever (IMO).  Mouse control helped, but I could still see this working in DF...

It's most useful to tie your high and low outliers to individuals.  Tropico had screens where people were grouped as, say, "Very Happy, Happy, Neutral, Unhappy, Very Unhappy"...and in each group, you saw a list of all the little avatars of the people in those groups, ordered by happiness.  So someone at the far left of Very Happy was the happiest person, at the far right, they were just barely in Very Happy, on the edge of Happy.  When you mouse over someone, I believe it gave you their name, happiness %, other information like job...  You could see other graphs like who was likely to vote for you in the next election, ordered the same way.

I would love an ordered list of dwarves by happiness, by skill in various skills, by strength, by worth.  I'd be quite happy to move a cursor around with the arrow keys on a big list of dwarven faces (colored appropriately), and it would be useful to see at a glance, "Hey, my soldiers are generally unhappy, I'd better fix that fast...Hmm, my mechanics are all really happy, that's weird...Hey, there's one noble down there in very unhappy, I'd better go check him out for details".  Move the cursor over a dwarven icon to see name, happiness, basic stats, family, top skills, whatever...then press enter to go to that dwarf's page.

To me, this would make the game WAY more playable, or at least a whole lot more fun as I could have the slightest clue what was going on in their little minds.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 03:17:27 am »

Idea we the players could implement a demograpics screen by creating our own computers hop over to this thread and take a look

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29459.0

The only problem would be that you would have to create your own computer program to interact with borg logic take a look at the wiki

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Computing#Borg_Logic

and it wouldn't display emotions by the dwarfs unless you figure out how moods relate to movements, with this however you can do simple pop checks etc, and you could posibly count number of seigers etc
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces
Pages: 1 [2]