Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demographics screen  (Read 2042 times)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Demographics screen
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:48:55 am »

What are the main unhappy thoughts in my fortress?
What's my annual wealth production and gdp?
What's life expectancy like in my fort? (births/deaths)
How many dwarves have bedrooms?

Preferably using a noble and graphs.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Demographics screen
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:00:47 am »

I don't know about graphs, that seems a little sterile.  But there do need to be better summaries.  Like stocks, the summaries probably shouldn't be automatically available -- maybe the mayor should have to "gather data" by spending lots of time talking to people.

Also, this is pretty basic, but now that we can have lots of castes, it would be nice to show a breakdown of the population by castes, so in your Antman Fortress you can tell that you have 1 queen and 50 workers or whatever.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 06:08:04 am »

Sounds good.  I could get behind charts showing the history of the numbers.  It would be fun to look back and see the unhappy thoughts peak around the tantrum spiral several years back.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:22:44 am »

Yeah I get into the graphs aswell. But maybe footkerchief does have a point about them being 'sterile'. I guess you could have a similar thing by slowly engraving a hall, maybe 1 tile a month, then you could look back on what was on engravers minds. Problem is I don't think engravers differentiate (yet) between contempary and legendary events. Maybe if the engraving system mentioned if a depiction was of mythical or legendary status.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:48 am »

I want demographics. I want want want want them.

I WANT them.

I don't care how lifeless and sterile they are, i want them.

One catch though, NOT in fortress mode, instead, in Legends mode. I HATE sifting through the gigantic amount of information it gives you.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 06:29:00 am »

^^^ Happy/unhappy thought summaries would be incredibly useful in fortress mode though.  And the whole point is to reduce the "gigantic amounts of information," i.e. data about 200 dwarves, to small summaries, so that you don't have to do the sifting yourself.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 06:38:26 am »

Sure, why not, summaries of happy/unhappy thoughts.

Not what i was poking at though, the legends mode gives you hundreds, if not thousands of pages of information, all of which is created in the span of a couple minutes. I want a way to see what the hell is happening to the world's people's over the 100-10000 years during worldgen. I hate doing guesstimates from looking at only a handful of pages. brief summaries on the advancement of certain races, certain kingdoms, pop number of races, most populous places, things like that.

do you get my drift?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:41:22 am »

Oh yes, gotcha.  Now I'm not sure what I thought you meant.  Yeah, legends needs better summaries too.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »

preferably as XML outputs for 3rd party display tools ;)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 12:42:32 pm »

Categorized & detailed information screens: must have. [We've talked about these things already by the way.]
I suppose Toady will upgrade this part of the game, when he will work on the Presention Arc.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 12:59:26 pm »

maybe the mayor should have to "gather data" by spending lots of time talking to people.

Better idea: Give that to the Philosopher.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »

Better idea: Give that to the Philosopher.

It would make sense, though, for the mayor to do things like find out what the other dwarves are worried about.  It's an extension of their current role in listening to people's complaints about job scarcity.  I don't see how philosophy plays into it at all.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 02:33:44 pm »

I don't think you would be able to get enough detail on an ascii graph for it to be worth it. I prefer the idea of just having numerical summaries like the stocks screen. Just like the stocks screen in the way that you can improve the level of accuracy with a higher level of skill/time spent.

I agree that the philosopher shouldn't be doing this. His job is to do nothing and mooch off of your fortress! If anything, I think he should make a randomized statement every few seasons effected by a similar set of things engravings are.

The only thing I can see graphs being useful for are for things like age distributions but I feel that is getting into the realm of the 'statistician' skill, something I do not like the sound of...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 02:42:15 pm »

The numerical data from the stock screen are very good to put into graphs.. you could see the evolution of eg. your booze stock and see that the last immigrant wave is causing your supply to dwindle - you then can put in another brewery.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »

You could also put a little stock market style up or down arrow next to a number to indicate its trend (thus pleasing those that don't want graphs).  Some kind of data export option would be nice for those of us that would want to create graphs, though.
Pages: [1] 2