Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)  (Read 15167 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2009, 12:03:59 pm »

If you read through the thread, all the important stuff is covered.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2009, 02:14:31 pm »

Feel free to ask any questions. And you're welcome to take up the next turn.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2009, 02:26:54 pm »

I'd like to get in the queue. I'm reading the thread now but I know it's going to take a while for me to finish it, and a longer time for me to get my turn. so I might as well put my name in right now.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2009, 03:52:37 pm »

All right, I'm going to wipe the queue and start over. Solarn will be first and Aldaris can be second. Other people should sign up. This includes people who've already had a turn, if they wish.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2009, 03:59:24 pm »

I'm reading through the thread right now. The story's been pretty interesting so far.

EDIT: Okay, I've read through the entire thread. So we have a catatonic queen, continuous sieges (at least the really nasty guys aren't sieging) and a pretty self-sufficient fortress.

I just know I'm gonna screw this up.

EDIT OF THE EDIT: Two questions: 1. Any particular reason why there's an entire Dwarf Fortress game in the archive file I downloaded? 2. Why is the game window disgustingly elongated and how can I fix it?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:27:17 pm by Solarn »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »

1) The entire folder is there so there's no problem with the mod.

2) If by elongiated you mean double x and y dimensions, then that's me.  You can fix it in the init file.  Someone else can explain how since I'm lazy :P

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2009, 06:34:56 pm »

1) The entire folder is there so there's no problem with the mod.

2) If by elongiated you mean double x and y dimensions, then that's me.  You can fix it in the init file.  Someone else can explain how since I'm lazy :P
1) Okay. I can understand that.

2) I found it. It just looked really weird on my monitor. All the characters were way too long.

Okay, so I took a look at the fortress. I'm going to start my turn tomorrow. I hope nothing goes too badly.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2009, 06:38:46 pm »

2) That's odd.  Maybe robin messed with it?  I definitely adjusted the numbers so the characters have the same relative dimensions.

But it sounds like you got it.  Have fun and remember to leave some raw adamantine for the next person in line.

Time to start filling out the new sign-up list.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2009, 08:05:13 pm »

Good luck, Solarn!
Come play Mafia with us!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:39 am »

I didn't mess with it, but it was using the default char set and I (and maybe Solarn) am used to the square char set, so it took me a while to get used to it.  Also, good luck Solarn and glad to see this going again!

(EDIT: At least that's what I remember.  It's been a while and I'm tired, so it's entirely possible I'm completely wrong.)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2009, 03:06:07 am »

I didn't mess with it, but it was using the default char set and I (and maybe Solarn) am used to the square char set, so it took me a while to get used to it.  Also, good luck Solarn and glad to see this going again!

(EDIT: At least that's what I remember.  It's been a while and I'm tired, so it's entirely possible I'm completely wrong.)
Nope, I use the default char set at 640x300 resolution (windowed) and it was set to 800x600 windowed. Which meant that the ASCII characters were ungodly tall and thin.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2009, 06:26:54 pm »

Diary of Melbil 'Axebeard' Pulleyletters

2nd Granite

Apparently I am prime axedwarf material and so have been summarily recruited into the military just now. Then someone noticed the unfortunate way my beard grows and resurrected that infernal nickname I've had back at the Mountainhomes. I think it's still better than those Elvenly ponces who trim theirs or tie them into pretty little knots.

Still 2nd Granite.

Bloody hells. The nickname has spread and now everyone absolutely refuses to call me anything else. How could this be worse?

3rd Granite

BLOODY HELLS. Apparently, being a military recruit does not exempt one from being chosen for overseeing the fort for a year. I have no idea who thought that a few years' experience of hauling things in small border outposts would have prepared me for running the BLOODY NEW CAPITOL. I need a drink.

7th Granite

WHERE IS ALL THE BOOZE?

Later during 7th Granite

Okay, I'm alright now. After assessing the situation, I found out why there is no booze. There's nothing to make booze out of! We have four laughably puny farm plots, none of which are growing anything reasonably useful for either food or booze purposes. The stockpile situation is an unholy mess which I'm not even going to touch and half of our farming-related workshops aren't doing anything!

And I had to report to Dishmab Pickcudgel for my orders about two days ago. Hells.

9th Granite

My first order as Overseer was to demolish an unfortunately placed Mechanic's Workshop and rebuild it a few feet away, along with the construction of two relatively large farm plots in its place. One will be housing our new booze reserve and the other our new source of food, Quarry Bushes. I find it criminal that nobody before me has thought to utilize this light but satisfying plant to enrich our meals. I also relocated the kitchen and some of the food stockpiles to a more central position between the plots and the booze/prepared food stockpile.

On an unrelated note, I've been on my way to the barracks for half a week now and I'm still not there. I'd probably be faster if I didn't have to stop after every few steps to write down my new orders and pass them along to the first bypasser with hopes that they will take them seriously. I need to work out a better system.

Evening of 9th Granite.

UNHOLY MOTHER OF KOBOLDS! I just narrowly averted my untimely death here. For whatever reason, I was slated to have my first sparring session with Stormaxe, one of our legendary champions who has before sent sparring partners to the informary or even to the graveyard. Whoever thought that it would be fine to have her sparring with the recruits seriously needs to have a go with her themselves. Preferably unarmored.

Thankfully, a written order from "the new Overseer" arrived just as the sparring was to begin commanding her to go on duty and I was left to find a less lethal sparring partner. Some quick thinking there, if I do say so myself. I can't avoid this forever though. I need to get tougher, and fast.

13th Granite

Just as my latest orders were getting underway, a rather disconcerting thing happened. My attention was drawn to a rather desolate part of the scenery by one of our lookouts, who claimed to have seen something moving there. When I pressed for details, though, he said that he couldn't make them out. I haven't gotten a notification yet, so it might not be a siege. But then what was it?

(OOC: Seriously, what the hell? The game just focused there and paused, like with a caravan or migrants or any other major event, but nothing happened.)

14th Granite

I just noticed that our Queen is actually visiting the fortress! While I am humbled by her presence, I find it unnerving that she is just standing at the end of what I assume to be a long exploratory tunnel, not doing anything but shuffling around. To be on the safe side, I ordered the excavation of a truly lavish Royal Bedroom and Throne Room for her on the housing level. This made me acutely aware of another problem: we have no dedicated stone stockpiles apart from the small ones around our stoneworking workshops. This is simply ludicrous and I halted the excavation while I ordered the removal of a large amount of sand for the future stockpile.

15th Granite

The high elven caravan has arrived! While I really don't want to leave a bad impression on our trading partners during my short rule, the current disorganized state of the fortress means that I have no idea whatsoever as to what we would need from them, therefore I might just let them go without trading this year.

23rd Granite

I've decided on a radical course of action. I am going to tear down every wall on the workshop level except those around the dining room, lever room and bone stockpile. The level is absolutely cluttered and bears proof to the beginnings of the fortress as a haphazard outpost in a hostile environment. While it might have worked adequately then, it simply doesn't any more. I am also going to have our miners dig out more space so each group of workshops can have its dedicated area. This will, of course, result in a large amount of useless stone. I have designated most of the stone currently cluttering up our fortress as to be dumped for this reason. It's not like we'll ever need them. I hope they hit some demon in the Underworld.

24th Granite

An ambush! A large group of sand raiders has apparently decided to pay our fortress a visit, no doubt having heard of our adamantine stocks. I am not familiar with our defensive systems yet, so I hope I won't mess anything up too badly.

28th Granite

The raiders have been repelled by Stormaxe. Sadly, she didn't reach her post in time and the Obsidian Guardian chained next to the outermost drawbridge was struck down. One of the raiders managed to get caught in a cage trap and another one fell down underneath the bridge when it was retracted to cut off their way of escape. Unfortunately, one got stuck outside the walls and managed to escape. I have no doubt, having seen the same situation in different fortresses before, that they'll come in force next time. I better be prepared.

Meanwhile, my spars continue, so far thankfully without injury.

3rd Slate

Terrible news! Dishmab, my squad leader has beens truck down in a sparring session with Stormaxe! I need to find a way to make her less lethal in spars, otherwise I won't survive basic training.

Dishmab is being interred in his grave as I write this. It's a sobering sight. I always knew I wasn't cut out for leading a fortress, but the death of one of the dwarves I was supposed to look after, especially my own military superior, really drives it home.

7th Slate

The trapped sand raider has been let out with Stormaxe standing ready, as he was frightening the workers. How he did it from under a bridge, I'll never know.

---

OOC: Whew. The framerate is horribly low, but that's to be expected with such a sprawling fortress. A lot of the dwarves keep holding parties and I can't do anything to stop them short of (f)reeing up the statue garden. Also, I'm going to do a lot of reconstruction on the workshop level and possibly on the housing level as well, as they are horribly inefficient. Since I only have a year, it's quite possible that the next dwarf after me will have to clean up the messes I will undoubtedly make.

Really, the idea of NOT digging out a huge stone stockpile into the soft soil right after embarking seems ludicrous to me. Where else would you store your stone?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »

13th Granite

Just as my latest orders were getting underway, a rather disconcerting thing happened. My attention was drawn to a rather desolate part of the scenery by one of our lookouts, who claimed to have seen something moving there. When I pressed for details, though, he said that he couldn't make them out. I haven't gotten a notification yet, so it might not be a siege. But then what was it?

(OOC: Seriously, what the hell? The game just focused there and paused, like with a caravan or migrants or any other major event, but nothing happened.)

OOC: Whew. The framerate is horribly low, but that's to be expected with such a sprawling fortress. A lot of the dwarves keep holding parties and I can't do anything to stop them short of (f)reeing up the statue garden. Also, I'm going to do a lot of reconstruction on the workshop level and possibly on the housing level as well, as they are horribly inefficient. Since I only have a year, it's quite possible that the next dwarf after me will have to clean up the messes I will undoubtedly make.

Really, the idea of NOT digging out a huge stone stockpile into the soft soil right after embarking seems ludicrous to me. Where else would you store your stone?

Yeah, I get that 'zoom to nothing' issue too. No idea what causes it.

As for the stone stockpiles, I don't like them early on. Wastes too much time having dwarves haul stone. Until things get big, I just let the masons and crafters grab what they need.
Come play Mafia with us!

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2009, 04:14:31 am »

13th Granite

Yeah, I get that 'zoom to nothing' issue too. No idea what causes it.

As for the stone stockpiles, I don't like them early on. Wastes too much time having dwarves haul stone. Until things get big, I just let the masons and crafters grab what they need.

I solve that by turning off stone hauling in all except a few dedicated dwarves. And having a stockpile early on helps keep you from digging out huge unnecessary tunnels, because you have to mind the size of the pile.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2009, 02:01:46 pm »

So, my first succession fort and I'll be surrounded by things I'm not too sure about how they work and unfinished complicated work.

As any succession dwarf would say: FUN!
I may have to put my underwater tower city on hold once I get a turn...
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10