Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Glory for the Queen! (New sign ups!)  (Read 15160 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Uthgurzuntir - Dig deep for the Queen!
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2009, 11:12:08 pm »

Hmmm. Really odd. She should have shown up like a normal Migrant. They always have in the past for me. Anyone else ever had this problem??

Oh, and unless it's specifically Silver, Copper, or Gold coins you should go ahead and make them. Any other metal won't be used in the economy, so you don't have to worry about the coins being scattered around. I think he likes Sterling Silver, so that should be fine. And if he didn't specify type, just use whatever we have an excess of that isn't one of the main three.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 12:46:15 am »

I had this glitch the first time I had a monarch.  He ended up just hanging around the dining room, chatting it up with folks.  I've heard several theories as to why it might happen, but here's one thing to check:

Is the queen actually a dwarf?  People have had this with non-dwarf monarchs.  An easy way to check is by looking at the clothing size the queen wears (e.g. large narrow etc. but I'm no sure how that works with the mod). 

The good news is she doesn't require a throne room and all that jazz. =/

Also, I'm glad my shaft is being put to use.  I'm really amused by the thought of dropping stray rocks into the underword. xD

I was getting like 20 FPS myself, so don't complain about that. :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 11:20:12 am »

The clothing looks a bit weird, but I copied/abandoned/looked at legends and it says she's a dwarf.  The only problem is that she's hanging out at the map border and I don't want an ambush or a siege to kill her off.  Do friendlys like the trade guy fall asleep?  I might be able to trap her in and move her somewhere else...

I'll give the coins a whirl if they aren't going to go everywhere, assuming I still have enough time left in the mandate.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2009, 12:01:22 pm »

Well, if she refuses to move you could build her a special castle all for herself. There would still be a slight chance that an ambush would spawn on top of her right at the map edge, but you could at least give her some protection. Station guards around her, build and archer tower, that sort of thing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2009, 11:23:56 pm »

I finished through the beginning of autumn.  Two artifacts, one of them a very useful adamantine axe!  I guess we'll see what happens in the last half of the year.  I won't have much time tomorrow, but I'll probably post a short update anyway.  Anyway, here we go with the update:

From the diary journal of Quickthought, leader of Demonanvil -

Slate 21

I sent out a miner to dig some channels around the queen to try and keep her safer.  I wanted to build walls around her, but the masons said it was "too close to the edge of our allotted space here."  Oh well, channels it is. 

Slate 22

Haha that'll teach her!  When the miner was digging the queen's channels she stepped onto the weakened area and fell down into the channel!  She wasn't hurt from the fall, but now I can cover up the channels and dig a tunnel to our main fortress!  I could probably even build her throne room around her so it looks like our monarch is doing her duties.

Slate 23

Progress on the underground forest/park/tree farm (I'm not sure what to call it since it's developing into all three!) is going smoothly.  We should be able to flood it within the next month or so, then we can decorate it a bit and let things grow.

Slate 24

I got some chains made and chained up three of our guardians behind the front drawbridge.  Hopefully they'll catch all of the thieves and babysnatchers before they get too close! 

Felsite 7

Boneshaper gave birth to a girl today!  The mining of the tree farm has been slower than I hoped, but it's still getting done.  I haven't thought about what to do with the queen yet.  I'll have to come up with an idea or two.

Felsite 17

Stonehands took over a craftsdwarf workshop today after he got a weird look in his eyes.  Hopefully he'll be ok!

Felsite 21

Stonehands finished his work on an idol today!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I figured that I may as well make our well closer to our dining room and the rest of the fortress since I was making a water pumping system to flood the tree farm.  The well reservoir is mined out and the tree farm's almost done!

Hematite 5

The mining's all done, so now we just have to finish installing doors and floodgates and making sure all of them are linked to levers that work!  I have to make sure to remember to leave notes so the new leaders will know what the levers do...

Hematite 11

A chaos dwarf siege showed up today!  I think I'm going to send out the champions and the marksdwarves, just so the champions don't have to worry about getting all of them.  Although there are only 7 of them total I think.

Hematite 12

Oh it turns out there are 16 chaos dwarves, not just 7 like I thought.  One marksdwarf, 6 wrestlers, and 9 macedwarves.  I think I might send out the elite wrestlers too, but I'll have to check their equipment first to make sure they have armor!

Hematite 14

Well most of our military was apparently asleep.  Stormaxe got out to our outer drawbridge as the chaos dwarves got to the guardians chained up there.  We lost two guardians but Stormaxe and the other guardian took out 11 of the chaos dwarves while the other 6 ran away.

Later in the day the humans showed up to trade.  Apparently the human guild representative is a hobgoblin, which confused me at first, but I guess as long as she's friendly it'll work out.  (OOC: hehe she's 'superhobgoblinly tough'.  Toady's adjectives make me laugh sometimes)

Hematite 17

A dyansauri caravan arrived today.  Now we have both caravans to trade with!  Hopefully one of them has something good.

Also, today Shorast Domascagith (boy that's a mouthful) was elected mayor!  Poor Urvad has to go back to his old room now so that the new mayor can have his room.

Hematite 25

I got so excited today when I thought we were finished preparations for the tree farm and well, but then I remembered that we needed another pump.  At least we're close though!

Galena 15

The flooding of the tree farm is done and the well reservoir is full!  The only problem is that I overfilled the tree farm a little bit, so the water's going to drain off into the caves we mined out behind it.  Maybe that'll give the cave spiders more places to live!

Galena 18

Steelblade, one of our weaponsmiths, took control of a magma forge today.  He had a wild, fey look on his face... I hope he's ok.

Galena 22

Steelblade finished gathering materials and started working today.  He's using an adamantine wafer, a rough rock crystal, some pig tail cloth, and a block of obsidian.  I'm nervous, but he could be making something really awesome.

Galena 25

Steelblade finished today!  He made Odtaron ("Tunnelyelled" as the humans would say), an adamantine battle axe! 

It's estimated to be worth 728400.  I'll have to be careful letting the soldiers train with axes if I don't want them chopping each other up with this thing.  Oh and Steelblade discovered his legendary talent for weaponsmithing while he was making the axe!

Limestone 1

Autumn is here and, unfortunately, we didn't attract any more migrants this season!  I guess this gives me time to finish bedrooms for the 100 dwarves we already have though.  Oh I realized I forgot to write about trading.  We basically traded all of the metal bars, wood, and cheese that both caravans brought (the dyansauri didn't bring any metal) for more of our stone crafts.  We still have more than 350 to trade though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:28:30 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2009, 11:51:10 pm »

heh, regarding the chains, you probably don't need to make any - the should be some restraints left in the pit area.

And it looks like Stormaxe can finally use an axe! :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2009, 08:20:06 am »

Oh I hadn't even thought to look there.  I did want to put in at least one more, though, so this saves me having to actually make another one. 

Also, on another note, I've gotta say the queen falling into the channel was amazing luck because the chaos dwarves spawned basically right on top of where she would have been.  As it is now, though, she's just sitting at the end of a veeerrrry long hallway to the main part of the fortress. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2009, 11:11:16 am »

Maybe story-wise we should say that she was possessed by evil spirits on her way to the fortress. Maybe someone should set up some alchemy workshops near her with the goal of curing her. Won't happen, of course, but it'd make for an interesting project.
Come play Mafia with us!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2009, 01:53:20 pm »

That's as good an idea as any I can come up with.  I'll probably make some comments about her over the second half of my year, but I still want to do a pretty big project and a half outside, so it's not likely that I'll get around to doing anything with her.  Kind of funny that she doesn't need to eat or sleep though, which could fit possession.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2009, 02:47:08 pm »

That's fine. You need to save some fun stuff for the next player anyway.  :P
Come play Mafia with us!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2009, 09:13:58 pm »

Haha true.  It doesn't look like I'm going to get an update out tonight.  I'll have more time once the weekend starts though and I should be able to finish up Saturday or Sunday.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2009, 06:32:50 pm »

Limestone 5

Today I decided we should treat traders with more respect.  Right now our trading depot is shoved in a corner behind our inner walls, right next to a door with one set of stairs down into the fortress.  This isn't very respectable, considering the fact that we have the wealth of adamantine backing us!  (not that I would use it... but the traders don't know that!) 

Anyway, I have designs for a small tower to be built that will allow us to give traders a view of the landscape and will also give us more access to the surface and to the traders.  I'm also reorganizing the main floor a little bit.  Nothing will be moving far, but I think the workshops in the area will each be given their own area to operate and some of the stockpiles will be combined.

Limestone 14

Progress is fast on the tower and the reorganization.  Some merchants arrived today and they will probably be the last ones to visit this trading depot. 

Limestone 18

Two goblin ambushes showed up as the merchants were reaching the walls.  The merchants' guard dwarves did in one group of goblins and our traps and guardians finished off the other.  I hope the merchants decide to stay after the ambushes. (OOC: I like these dwarves... they use giant beetles as beasts of burden!)

Limestone 24

Today Master Silvercoin traded with the merchants.  We got more guardians, a bunch of metal, and a little bit of food and drink and traded them a bunch of stone crafts.  We have between 150 and 200 of these trade goods left, so we could probably start making more now that the stockpiles have room again.

Limestone 26

I realized today that Rune has become a very good (legendary, even!) at keeping the fortress's records and has done enough work that we now know our exact stocks and worth!

I asked Master Silvercoin to tell her that she doesn't need to keep up her pace to maintain our records, so she has some free time now.  Maybe I can get her to help finish the tower.

Sandstone 20

As hard as I tried to keep water out of the main fortress halls, someone left a piece of stone in front of the doors to the tree farm.  Water has been leaking in since then and is has almost reached the forge rooms.  Maybe I should prop those doors open and just let the magma take care of the water.  It shouldn't come to that though, since there isn't THAT much water.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2009, 10:59:27 pm »

Timber 8

Migrants arrived today!  We're up to 109 dwarves in the fortress.  I realized a couple of days ago that we don't have enough rooms to give everyone their own.  So far it's been ok because not everyone wants their own, but we need more bedrooms anyway.

Timber 21

Now that the main part of the tower is finished and the depot at the top is finished, I got a message saying traders' wagons can't reach the depot!  They don't tell me why, just that they can't.  That would have been good to know BEFORE the tower was built!

Moonstone 1

Today the tower was finished to the point where it can be used to trade!  We still need to finish the walls, the roof, and the windows around the depot, but we're most of the way there.  Next is the small project to redo the entrance now that the depot doesn't have to be there!

Moonstone 2

A fish cleaner is in one of those weird moods today.  He picked one of the craftsdwarf workshops and started to gather up materials.  Hopefully he'll find what he needs.

Moonstone 7

The miners started digging out more bedrooms today.  Somehow I didn't think that Stonechanger would mind us digging through some of his engravings.  So far he hasn't noticed and hopefully he won't be too annoyed when he finds out!

Moonstone 11

A frost giant caravan arrived today!  We'll have to see how they like our new trade tower!

Moonstone 12

A Violet Xelic siege showed up today.  I think our military dwarves should be able to handle them, but we'll see what ends up happening.  Maybe they won't all be needed.

Moonstone 13

The fish cleaner finished his work today.  He made an alder ring... but there's a LOT going on on that ring!

Moonstone 15

Well I asked Stormaxe and our marksdwarves to guard our outer gate, since they were the only ones I could find, and the next thing I knew all of the Violet Xelics were dead.  I'm not really sure what happened, but our dwarves aren't hurt and the marksdwarves are restocking their bolts, so they must have killed them.

Also, I told Stormaxe she should start training with axes.  I assumed she wanted to, since her name has axe in it.  I guess she went and picked up Odtaron, the artifact adamantine axe, and she's been using that!

Moonstone 16

A group of goblins showed up today and they look pretty vicious.  I guess we'll teach them a lesson too.

Moonstone 17

I was wondering where Nightshield went and took a look around for him.  It turns out Stormaxe had a bit of an accident sparring and hurt him!  He should recover without a problem, but he's still out of commission with an upper leg wound for at least a season or two.

Moonstone 23

Today the goblins retreated.  We killed about 13 of them and only 2 got away, but they killed two of our civilian dwarves (a soap maker and a metalcrafter) and one of our marksdwarves.  We can train others to fill their place in the military, but the dwarves aren't replaceable.  I'll miss them.

Opal 23

The water is finally almost evaporated in the tree farm.  Things started growing while there was still water on the ground, so we already have shrubs and young tower caps growing!

Opal 24

I expanded our military with peasants that had just been hauling.  We have a bunch of steel chain mail and shields from the chaos dwarves that have attacked us, so I told them they should take their pick and start getting used to it.  Once they have some practice with wrestling and their armor, the next leader can give them weapons to train with. 

Since it's mid-winter I've started giving the orders myself, instead of going through Master Silvercoin.  I figured that I only have half a season left, so even if the dwarves stop doing what I tell them to do it won't matter much.  Surprisingly they didn't even blink, they just nodded and did what I asked. 

Strange.

Opal 25

I made a big mistake somewhere and we ran out of drinks!  We still have water, but it's not nearly as good.  Hopefully our farmers can catch up and make up for me being distracted!

Obsidian 15

By now the planters and brewers have caught up a bit and we have a small stock of drinks.  Hopefully I can get the stocks up before the next leader comes in.  Also, the tower is very close to being finished!  We just need three more windows made!

Granite 1 1055

The new year started today.  I got to be leader for a year, but I'm kind of tired of it now.  I only have a little more time before I have to start working as an adult and I really want to just play and not have to worry about if I'm going to get someone killed.  All I really did was try and get this fortress to look and work like the one that I was born in, but I think I improved it a lot.  Hopefully I actually did!  I'm really only worrying about the queen.  She's got a tunnel to our fortress, but she just stays at the end of it and paces back and forth.  She doesn't eat or drink and no one's seen her sleep, so we thing there might be something really wrong with her.  I guess that's up to the next leader, though!

OOC Notes:
I jammed all of the friendly animals (and guardians) in one cage by the forges and all of our captured hostiles in another cage in the same spot.  The FPS is already down around 20-30 for me and I didn't want to bother with animals lowering that even more.

Sorry about getting the military dwarves wounded.  Both of the champions are in bed recovering, one with a yellow limb wound and one with a red one.  Not a big deal except that it takes them out of commission if something attacks.

Do tower caps grow really freaking fast with this mod?  We already have some fully grown tower caps in the tree farm.

I thought telling the story from a kid's point of view would be fun, but I ended up making it harder than it should have been.  So... yeah.  The storytelling was pretty eh, but hopefully you guys liked it a little bit.  Time for the next person!

DFMA Map

Save File
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:23:16 am by Bluerobin427 »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2009, 03:22:13 am »

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:

Stonechanger = female
Stormaxe = female

This public service announcement has been brought to you by NODW.

(Yes, I did screw up Stormaxe's gender at first too.  Check my original post :P)

----

What's the problem with the save?  Did you make sure to compress the save first?  It won't take folders.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2009, 07:12:31 am »

Yeah sorry about the genders.  I was checking to make sure I got them right, but for some reason I didn't check Stormaxe.  The DFFD problem is different each time.  I think it's just not happy with me uploading 40mb+ and times out every other time.  I'll just keep trying until it works though.

EDIT: Finally!  There we go, both the map and the save file are up and linked.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:23:48 am by Bluerobin427 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10