Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373246 times)

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Desktop Effects/Compiz enabled?

Ah. Forgot to turn it off. Fixes my problems.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After losing a bunch of this weekend to a hard drive failure, I spent some time trying to find the bugs with the bindings.  Other then a minor visual piece I couldn't find any of them.  The more I looked at the code, the more I said to myself what was I thinking.

After quite a bit more thought I reached the conclusion that there are just too many sloppy portions.

In order to correct the key layout stuff properly I have to allow a binding to specify whether it wants to be tested as a scan code or converted key.  That means changing around some flag stuff, but the flags are bridging between bindings and macro implementations.

The macros becoming stuck and repeating when they shouldn't also seems to be a flag issue.

To get some of the speed back I have to follow the basic speed rule, calculate once use many.  Some of that is again on the flags for bindings.  The test values require far too many calculations.

Pretty much everything points at changing the underlying bindings structures and then cleaning up the code that works with them.  Now that I have a clear plan it shouldn't take too long.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

DanielZKlein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lazy question: has some friendly soul already made a package of this version with a tileset? I'm currently playing with Raving Rodent's resplendid set of tiles, but I seem to be too dumb / lazy to get it to run with d12.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Profiling, profiling, profiling..

Veroule, I've been trying to make a statistical profiler work on DF, with relatively little success. TBH, it looks like I'd have to literally make a statistical profiler.. I hope not, though. Maybe with gdb-stub.

I guess option two would be to teach Toady how to use one.. that might be worthwhile too.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile

40d12 is completely broken for dvorak keyboards.  Keypresses trigger both on the dvorak correct position, as well as on the qwerty hard wired position, so there are generally two keys that correspond to any given command.  This is a big problem when one of these keys overlaps any given other key in the other format, since the other one will no longer be usable.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing I've noticed so far is that the game no longer reads the numbers from the number pad on my keyboard correctly. And yes, I've checked that NumLock is on. I like using the number pad to type out numbers... but now it ONLY reads up/down/left/right etc, regardless of the NumLock status.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

40d12 is completely broken for dvorak keyboards.  Keypresses trigger both on the dvorak correct position, as well as on the qwerty hard wired position, so there are generally two keys that correspond to any given command.  This is a big problem when one of these keys overlaps any given other key in the other format, since the other one will no longer be usable.
And this is why we don't grab keyboard input directly from the hardware.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Profiling, profiling, profiling..

Veroule, I've been trying to make a statistical profiler work on DF, with relatively little success. TBH, it looks like I'd have to literally make a statistical profiler.. I hope not, though. Maybe with gdb-stub.

I guess option two would be to teach Toady how to use one.. that might be worthwhile too.
I would love to see Toady able to run DF through a profiler.  There are many innocuous pieces of code that add up to major speed losses that a profiler would point out almost instantly.

Profiling wouldn't have done anything for where I killed the speed.  I knew it was wrong, but I rushed ahead to get it working enough to be beta tested.
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes it is.  I added initial testing for the converted unicode values, but made it too aggressive in trying to match both values.  I want to keep things like Shift+6 as a binding value since ^ is in a different spot on some keyboards.  Also the keys that are stated like Shift+6 become completely inaccessible when looking at the converted values.

And this is why we don't grab keyboard input directly from the hardware.
Interestingly that is not what I am doing at all.  I did that 20 years ago when I had to write input routines based on BIOS interupts and reading the value off of port 0x60.  Call me lazy for not want to read through the SDL sources to see what routines they were using to arrive at the values, or just call thier documentation bad for not being clear.

One thing I've noticed so far is that the game no longer reads the numbers from the number pad on my keyboard correctly. And yes, I've checked that NumLock is on. I like using the number pad to type out numbers... but now it ONLY reads up/down/left/right etc, regardless of the NumLock status.
You are the second person to mention a problem with the number pad.  The first that actually said what the problem is.  I have it noted down for fixing.

Rexor

• Bay Watcher
  • Sheep in wolf's clothing.
    • View Profile

The brook in the area doesn't melt. But that's not even ice? Ice is bright cyan in color. I was about to draw water from it for wells, but no water is coming out of it now. Has it ran dry for some reason?

My map is partly cold, partly freezing. The southern part of the brook is permanently frozen, but the northern part was in liquid form after I embarked to the location.

Inspecting the brook underground (you can see some of the ice in the south):

Guess I'll have to make due with alcohol. Though I would have loved to have working wells. :'(

Edit: I tried mining the brook, which I was able to do. The result was a bunch of limestones.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:03:17 am by Rexor »

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is what a dried-up brook looks like. Since the frozen water can't flow, everything after it either evaporated or just flowed off the map.

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I start game with FRAME_BUFFER and SINGLE_BUFFER:YES it runs ok, but says to terminal:
Code: [Select]
Using OpenGL output path with client-side arrays
Ideal catalog size: 409x390
GPU does not support non-power-of-two textures, using 512x512 catalog.
Do I get it right, supposing it doesn't support either frame_buffer or single buffer? Or is that message okay and all is supported?
PS: using git version from 22th of June (the latest commit).

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

It's fine. Your GPU is old, or your drivers are old; the fallback is working, but it's using more memory for the texture catalog than it ought to. This is not a problem, however, so long as you have the memory, which you apparently do.

Also, yes, that message implies frame-buffer mode isn't working, and it's falling back to standard mode. You might try partial instead, which wouldn't be affected.

Overall, just symptoms of an old GPU.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The brook in the area doesn't melt. But that's not even ice? Ice is bright cyan in color. I was about to draw water from it for wells, but no water is coming out of it now. Has it ran dry for some reason?

My map is partly cold, partly freezing. The southern part of the brook is permanently frozen, but the northern part was in liquid form after I embarked to the location.

Inspecting the brook underground (you can see some of the ice in the south):

Guess I'll have to make due with alcohol. Though I would have loved to have working wells. :'(

Edit: I tried mining the brook, which I was able to do. The result was a bunch of limestones.

Not sure if this will work because of the edge tiles, but if you have magma on your map you should be able to pump it directly underneath the frozen brook and as far as I know, melt the ice.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure if this will work because of the edge tiles, but if you have magma on your map you should be able to pump it directly underneath the frozen brook and as far as I know, melt the ice.
I wonder if you could mine it out, thaw the water and let it refill the brook, let it freeze, dry up then mine it out again...

That is... if you were looking for a massive amount of limestone for some reason.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 147