Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373576 times)

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't remember this being a problem in older DF releases, but often when alt + tabbing back and forth with DF and another window it will not respond to any keyboard input unless I minimize/restore DF or click on another window (not DF or the other window I switched from) then switch back to DF.  It does still respond to mouse input though.  It gets to be rather irritating, but it doesn't happen all the time.
I know this problem is actual for all users of PuntoSwitcher or another keyboard layout changer.
Just press left or right "Alt" key once or twice and all'll be ok.

I'll try this, but I am absolutely sure I do not have any keyboard layout changer.  Nor have I ever encountered this problem with any other program.  I do often hit alt + tab to test this problem, which doesn't fix it.

Edit: You were right.  Hitting alt (but not alt + tab) or clicking outside of the game (then switching focus back to DF) restores control.  That makes it less irritating, but I'm still wondering why it's happening in the first place.

How do I use a graphical Tileset with this?

I used the preconfigurated tileset package from Tinypirates tutorial, but how do I add it to this one?

Thanks in advance

Adding graphic sets is actually really, really easy once you know what to do, and it's the same for all versions (which makes this answer a little off-topic).  All you need to do is copy the \raw\graphics\ and \data\art\ folders from a pre-installed graphic version to their respective folders in 40d11, then open \data\init\init.txt in both versions and copy all the [graphics*] settings from the graphic version to 40d11.  Launch the game, and you're all set.

You can tweak the grid too if you'd like, though you'll need to do some math with the x & y dimensions to keep the proper aspect ratio.  I like to play in windowed with a slightly taller screen, so I use 1120x800 with an 80:50 grid.  If you're still unsure, look up installing graphic sets on these forums.  I'm sure there are threads that can give you better step by step explanations on this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:20:50 am by Stele007 »

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile

Worked great for me for a while, but after running it for about an hour (?) it crashed without warning when I went to check the Activity page.  I don't know if this was DF or Windows that messed up though, since I got a warning message as soon as I hit (a), then Windows shut DF down entirely.  Fun stuff, since I never enable any autosave.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Liquidfire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I don't remember this being a problem in older DF releases, but often when alt + tabbing back and forth with DF and another window it will not respond to any keyboard input unless I minimize/restore DF or click on another window (not DF or the other window I switched from) then switch back to DF.  It does still respond to mouse input though.  It gets to be rather irritating, but it doesn't happen all the time.
I know this problem is actual for all users of PuntoSwitcher or another keyboard layout changer.
Just press left or right "Alt" key once or twice and all'll be ok.

I'll try this, but I am absolutely sure I do not have any keyboard layout changer.  Nor have I ever encountered this problem with any other program.  I do often hit alt + tab to test this problem, which doesn't fix it.

How do I use a graphical Tileset with this?

I used the preconfigurated tileset package from Tinypirates tutorial, but how do I add it to this one?

Thanks in advance

Adding graphic sets is actually really, really easy once you know what to do, and it's the same for all versions (which makes this answer a little off-topic).  All you need to do is copy the \raw\graphics\ and \data\art\ folders from a pre-installed graphic version to their respective folders in 40d11, then open \data\init\init.txt in both versions and copy all the [graphics*] settings from the graphic version to 40d11.  Launch the game, and you're all set.

You can tweak the grid too if you'd like, though you'll need to do some math with the x & y dimensions to keep the proper aspect ratio.  I like to play in windowed with a slightly taller screen, so I use 1120x800 with an 80:50 grid.  If you're still unsure, look up installing graphic sets on these forums.  I'm sure there are threads that can give you better step by step explanations on this.

Thanks alot :)!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The screen happening with frame buffering was really my fault (I think), because i didn't have dwarf fortress as my current task (wasn't running over my desktop) so the flickering was my computer attempting to display both dwarf fortress and my desktop at the same time. I think this because once i alt+tab over to df it doesn't flicker.

Now that the response is out of the way let me post some bugs.

-When df isn't over other windows in frame_buffer it flickers, I can control it, and frame rate isn't enforce (maxing out at 1200 fps). So buggy drivers?

Actually, I'm not sure.
I think it falls back to turning off framebuffers if your driver reports it doesn't support it at all, which might mean partial:0.. in that case, no wonder it flickers.

(The code I wrote isn't quite the same as what's running in DF. Toady wrote the init.txt-parsing code, so I don't quite know how that works.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: You were right.  Hitting alt (but not alt + tab) or clicking outside of the game (then switching focus back to DF) restores control.  That makes it less irritating, but I'm still wondering why it's happening in the first place.

I've been wondering this myself lately. Never had a problem for the longest time, but about a month or two ago, tabbing out of some things and back in would make the program think I was still holding down alt. No idea why as the only common factor is the game being full-screened.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been wondering this myself lately. Never had a problem for the longest time, but about a month or two ago, tabbing out of some things and back in would make the program think I was still holding down alt. No idea why as the only common factor is the game being full-screened.

I don't play full-screened.

thezeus18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm using the openGL/SDL updated 40d11 build, and the game is sort of stuttering when the game is unpaused and running. All dwarf movements happen in jerks, and scrolling the screen from side to side is jerky too. Is there anything I can do to fix this or explain it? My fortress has 100 dwarves and a lot of dogs.

Dual core athlon 3800 x2 processor and Geforce 9600 GT.

denspb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a non-graphics problem in 40d11 that I haven't seen in 40d :
I like the "very last dwarves in the world" games, so I ususally create a number of worlds and chose one that does not have any dwarves. It works fine in 40d, but two worlds I tried in 40d11 still have dwarven caravans and immigrants showing up.

World Gen Params:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

World sites and props (no dwarves mentioned):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any ideas where could it go wrong?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just means there are dwarves that are left on the map but not in any mountain homes.  Just keep generating worlds.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm using the openGL/SDL updated 40d11 build, and the game is sort of stuttering when the game is unpaused and running. All dwarf movements happen in jerks, and scrolling the screen from side to side is jerky too. Is there anything I can do to fix this or explain it? My fortress has 100 dwarves and a lot of dogs.

Dual core athlon 3800 x2 processor and Geforce 9600 GT.

Have you tried the various options for the print mode?  Your init.txt file will give you several, and different options seem to work better for different combinations of video card/operating system/memory/etc.  In particular, if STANDARD mode isn't working for you, try FRAME_BUFFER or ACCUM_BUFFER.  I haven't personally gotten PARTIAL_PRINT to work any better than STANDARD but some people swear by it.

--K

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile

I just wanted to pop in and say that 40d11 is blazing fast.  Even with scads of puppies running loose I am able to run a 3x3 fortress of ~50 dorfs at speeds that are too fast to play.  By tweaking the FPS and GFPS options I can speed up and slow down the action for different population sizes.  Fluids seem to cripple my framerate a little bit, but I'm experimenting with the different buffer refresh modes to see if that helps any.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile

Fluids seem to cripple my framerate a little bit, but I'm experimenting with the different buffer refresh modes to see if that helps any.

Fluids are most likely choking your CPU, not your GPU.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I finally got a fortress with 150 dwarves and a ton of pets running around (if only I remembered to build an animal cage sooner...) on my 4x12 map, and it's starting to slow to a crawl (20-30fps).  I don't really understand these print_mode and single_buffer options.  Should I just try the different print_mode options and see which ones work best while ignoring the single_buffer option?  Is the single_buffer option only when I use Partial:1?  I guess it's really the single_buffer option that's throwing me off.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I finally got a fortress with 150 dwarves and a ton of pets running around (if only I remembered to build an animal cage sooner...) on my 4x12 map, and it's starting to slow to a crawl (20-30fps).  I don't really understand these print_mode and single_buffer options.  Should I just try the different print_mode options and see which ones work best while ignoring the single_buffer option?  Is the single_buffer option only when I use Partial:1?  I guess it's really the single_buffer option that's throwing me off.
Let me see if I can explain this...
If you set SINGLE_BUFFER:YES you are overriding the game and telling it to only use one buffer.  This is like saying, go straight to the screen.  Depending on your card, this may or may not be faster.  It may also flicker or may only have a partial update in when requested making it look strange (top half of screen is one image, bottom is another... etc.)

If your card supports double buffering, try to leave this set to NO unless you can handle graphic glitches and need more speed.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Sorry, totally wrong. :P

It's actually like this:
All the options act to make partial-printing work better. All of them.

Normally the game is double-buffered (or more), and so a tile needs to be drawn at least twice to stay on the screen. Sometimes old buffers get discarded, and that doesn't work. Sometimes absurdly high partial-print numbers make it work anyway, more or less by chance.

The frame-buffer makes it draw to an off-screen buffer that isn't ever cleared, and then draws that to screen once per frame. That works nicely.

The glAccum hack does much of the same. But slower. Much slower, on modern cards.

The single-buffer option turns off double-buffering on the screen. This does not in any way cause flicker; it's meant to *remove* flicker. Unfortunately, lots of drivers don't support it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 147