Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373568 times)

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't remember this being a problem in older DF releases, but often when alt + tabbing back and forth with DF and another window it will not respond to any keyboard input unless I minimize/restore DF or click on another window (not DF or the other window I switched from) then switch back to DF.  It does still respond to mouse input though.  It gets to be rather irritating, but it doesn't happen all the time.

I'm using Windows XP x64 with a Sapphire Radeon X1950 XT (tried with some old drivers from March 2008 and 9.3, the current Catalyst version).  So far I haven't experienced that save corruption that I used to get when running in XP x64, and it works fine with my custom graphic set (14x16 tiles).  I haven't tried it on my x86 Windows build yet.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:33:36 pm by Stele007 »

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't remember this being a problem in older DF releases, but often when alt + tabbing back and forth with DF and another window it will not respond to any keyboard input unless I minimize/restore DF or click on another window from the previous two then switch back to DF.  It does still respond to mouse input though.  It gets to be rather irritating, but it doesn't happen all the time.
Are you sure it is not "reacting" to keyboard input? Couldn't it simply not being updating the screen? If you have the problem again, hit esc, then minimize and restore and see if you are in the menu. Moving the mouse might be tied with a redraw action, so that could be different.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

Hm. Well, 40dX should be reading BMP files if SDL_image can do so. It works here, but I can't speak for every variant of the library.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't remember this being a problem in older DF releases, but often when alt + tabbing back and forth with DF and another window it will not respond to any keyboard input unless I minimize/restore DF or click on another window from the previous two then switch back to DF.  It does still respond to mouse input though.  It gets to be rather irritating, but it doesn't happen all the time.
Are you sure it is not "reacting" to keyboard input? Couldn't it simply not being updating the screen? If you have the problem again, hit esc, then minimize and restore and see if you are in the menu. Moving the mouse might be tied with a redraw action, so that could be different.

I can still see dwarves moving about even when it's not accepting keyboard input.  It definitely is not just a refresh issue since 90% of the time I notice it's not working, I'm trying to scroll the screen.  When I switch to another window then come back, it's at the same place as though I never tried scrolling at all.  This is, of course, with windowed mode.  I can try it on my 32-bit Windows XP installation tonight and see if it has the same problem.

Edit: Yeah, I have the same issue with 32-bit Windows XP as well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:48:39 pm by Stele007 »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

I don't remember this being a problem in older DF releases, but often when alt + tabbing back and forth with DF and another window it will not respond to any keyboard input unless I minimize/restore DF or click on another window (not DF or the other window I switched from) then switch back to DF.  It does still respond to mouse input though.  It gets to be rather irritating, but it doesn't happen all the time.
I know this problem is actual for all users of PuntoSwitcher or another keyboard layout changer.
Just press left or right "Alt" key once or twice and all'll be ok.
Finis sanctificat media.

Liquidfire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

How do I use a graphical Tileset with this?

I used the preconfigurated tileset package from Tinypirates tutorial, but how do I add it to this one?

Thanks in advance

eatnumber1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hey, is it possible for you to add support for per-user configuration in the linux version? I was trying to make a gentoo package for it, but ran into the problem that the entire df_linux directory seems to have to be writable by the user. Better to use a ~/.df for saves and user-specific stuff.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, is it possible for you to add support for per-user configuration in the linux version? I was trying to make a gentoo package for it, but ran into the problem that the entire df_linux directory seems to have to be writable by the user. Better to use a ~/.df for saves and user-specific stuff.

If you're interested, I already have an ebuild for 40d11 in an overlay, though it suffers from this particular problem.  It drops everything into /opt but you need to chown the whole thing to play as a normal user.  The ebuild does take care of everything else (setting up the startup script, libtiff.so.4, etc.)

A posted detailed list of the problems I ran into installing globally here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32537.0.  But I'm pretty sure there are way higher things on Today's to-do list than this :)

--K

eatnumber1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Yeah, I have one which is at the same point.

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, quick question: has the Linux binary been tested with 64-bit systems?

I'm having problems running it on my Arch Linux 64-bit system. First I needed to download some lib32 libraries. The game produces garbled output, crashes at the beginning and a lot of "erong ELF class errors:

Code: [Select]
(dwarfort.exe:6546): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libubuntulooks.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(dwarfort.exe:6546): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libclearlooks.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(dwarfort.exe:6546): Pango-WARNING **: /usr/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(dwarfort.exe:6546): Pango-WARNING **: Failed to load Pango module '/usr/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so' for id 'BasicScriptEngineFc'

(dwarfort.exe:6546): Pango-WARNING **: /usr/lib/pango/1.6.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(dwarfort.exe:6546): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='latin'

etc.

Any chance of this being fixed?

(ps for those interested here's my topic on this on the Arch Linux forums http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=536947#p536947

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, quick question: has the Linux binary been tested with 64-bit systems?

It is a 32-bit binary, so you need all of your distribution's 32-bit support packages for the base system plus GTK+.  A quick perusal of the Arch Linux wiki seems to indicate that Arch Linux doesn't officially support this type of "multi-lib" setup, but that there are community packages that include the parts you need:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Using_32-bit-applications_on_Arch64

The game runs just find on both of my current amd64 Gentoo machines and at least one 64-bit Debian machine in the office, so its definitely something distribution-specific.

--K

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've been running the game on my iMac 2.33ghz core duo for about a week now. With about 100 dwarves and 40 odd animals, my fps is between 10 and 30. From what I've seen on the boards that is about right, considering it is not the most efficient fort and there is a lot of water flow stuff going on, which, if I understand correctly, can impact FPS as well.

The only hard issue I'm having is, when quitting the game, it will crash. Doesn't seem to mess anything up, though.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile

Currently rebuilding for the sanity of others! bare with me

OK i have been playing with 40d11 for about a week here and i got a issue. It plays slower then normal 40d.

Here is my default settings
please note default i don't use graphics, and i use the default grid settings.
[FPS_CAP:100]
[G_FPS_CAP:20]
[VSYNC:OFF]
[TEXTURE_PARAM:NEAREST]
[PRIORITY:HIGH]
[TEMPERATURE:NO]

here is what i have changed, followed by the results.

[PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:29]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]

about 75 fps paused, 65 playing

[PRINT_MODEACCUM_BUFFER]

0 fps period, but i could still navigate menus  ???

[PRINT_MODE:FRAME_BUFFER]

1200-800 fps paused playing at 700 fps, can't see whats going, screen flickers like crazy.

[PRINT_MODE:FRAME_BUFFER]
[SINGLE_BUFFER:YES]

gets 104 fps at pause and 80 in game.

What I haven't attempted; Frame_buffer with out single buffer, it has been brought to my attention that Frame_buffer shouldn't flicker and due to my own stupidy, it did (or due to some serious driver error), the solution may be attempted later tonight (when i get home) or later after class.

thank you ahead of time

shadow
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 06:16:15 pm by Lord_Shadow »
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile

The screen flickering with frame_buffer on is just plain *wrong*.

If that happens, your drivers are buggy. No ifs or buts about it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile

The screen happening with frame buffering was really my fault (I think), because i didn't have dwarf fortress as my current task (wasn't running over my desktop) so the flickering was my computer attempting to display both dwarf fortress and my desktop at the same time. I think this because once i alt+tab over to df it doesn't flicker.

Now that the response is out of the way let me post some bugs.

-When df isn't over other windows in frame_buffer it flickers, I can control it, and frame rate isn't enforce (maxing out at 1200 fps). So buggy drivers?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 06:22:22 pm by Lord_Shadow »
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 147