Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373519 times)

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #660 on: January 07, 2009, 03:29:41 pm »

160x66 tiles in view with no noticeable slowdown? Awesome. I did run into an issue though, both in 40d7 and 40d8. When playing in full screen with PARTIAL_PRINT set to YES:2 I get this weird bug in the deeper ingame menus (this is slowed down from the original):

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5773/animpw1.gif

I got this by going into the 'u' menu and pressing 'down' several times. I have similar problems with the 'esc' menu and every other menu that requires me to stop looking at the actuall game field. I don't have any problems in windowed mode though. Sorry if it was already mentioned, but my quick search didn't turn up anything and the thread is already pretty massive ;D

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 07, 2009, 03:45:16 pm »

How odd. Looks like a partial-printing failure to me; are you sure 40d doesn't do the same, with the same settings?
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 07, 2009, 04:09:14 pm »

Huh, what do you know, it does - only I didn't notice for some reason. Sorry about that. Still, a display bug is a display bug and as such worth mentioning in a thread about fixing those ;D.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 07, 2009, 04:45:08 pm »

Writing in again to note a full-screen mode kick out. The underlying command line spits out "Mouse reset; this should not happen" every time it does occur. I am currently working around it by minimizing the dwarf fort screen and then clicking on it again, which boosts it back to full-screen mode. Roughly 5-10 minutes later it kicks out again and the keyboard goes inoperable.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:31 pm »

Writing in again to note a full-screen mode kick out. The underlying command line spits out "Mouse reset; this should not happen" every time it does occur. I am currently working around it by minimizing the dwarf fort screen and then clicking on it again, which boosts it back to full-screen mode. Roughly 5-10 minutes later it kicks out again and the keyboard goes inoperable.
Does the mouse reset happen specifically when the pointer touches the left/top edge of the screen, or anytime? If the former, a fix is in the pipeline.

Oh, right. Also, just sent in a patch to hide the mouse pointer when it's not moving. That's just cosmetic, but still nice.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 07, 2009, 05:28:29 pm »

Huh, what do you know, it does - only I didn't notice for some reason. Sorry about that. Still, a display bug is a display bug and as such worth mentioning in a thread about fixing those ;D.
The fix is to use framebuffer, or single-buffer, or up the partial-print count, or as a last resort disable partial-printing.

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 07, 2009, 06:20:15 pm »

The fix is to use framebuffer, or single-buffer, or up the partial-print count, or as a last resort disable partial-printing.
It looks like I have the same problem as LordZabujca using partial-printing, even when i use the framebuffer option. Increasing the partial-print count seems to work for me now. Version d6 worked without doing this, but was slower than d7 and d8.

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 07, 2009, 06:29:39 pm »

I'm really out of it, and was just browsing around when I dicided to look at the news and found this thing.  I've heard that it speeds the game up, but does it work just for battles, adventure mode of the standard dwarf fortress mode?  I'm really confused reading through what other people posted, and the first post could be edited to say exactly what this is supposed to do, not just "test it and let us know".

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #668 on: January 07, 2009, 06:49:09 pm »

Oh, I knew I've seen this nickname before! (I'm Nico from the FOnline beta).

Anywayz, I'll stress test the PNG support soon enough, Baughn.
<3

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:49 pm »

Okay, who voted for "doesn't work"?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 07, 2009, 07:08:17 pm »

Maybe you should stick a note next to the 'doesn't work' option telling people to explain.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 07, 2009, 07:19:00 pm »

Wow just trying this and goofing around with the buffer and partial print settings I got between a 10% and 300% increase.  It seems to constantly vary though.  I'm on a fresh fortress and the FPS cap is something like 2000.  I get between 110 and 120 and as a low and 330ish for a high.  It seems to run on regular cycle.  Does anyone have a good partial print setting to stop the slow every few seconds?  I've tried 2 and 0 so far and I just want to know if someone has any good settings.

edit: Setting it to something crazy like 10,000 caused the game to run at close to 50 FPS solidly.  Setting it to 1,000 is causing it to stay between 200 and low to mid 300s.  Also the intro movie with the sparing dwarves and the miner runs at about 40 FPS for me so I don't know what can cause that with a now 200-300% increase for fortress play.

Edit 2: More to report.  Look at the river with just a few dwarfs pathing caused my FPS to drop to about 170 with the same settings as 1000 PP and a much higher FPS cap.  It also spikes to around 320.  But it is odd because it runs at 170ish for 2-3 seconds and then runs at 200-300 fps for 5+ seconds before repeating the process.

edit 3: lowering the GFPS from the default to 10 increases my FPS to about 360 and it seems to help the lagging every few seconds. Now my game runs at a consistent 200-360ish FPS.  Thank you to the makers and to Today!

edit 4: More edits.  I didn't watch the intro video several times in a row because it would run way to slow, but letting it run this time it ran at 200 FPS constantly.  I'm not sure what option caused this.  More testing should be done with not only the game but menus and the into part.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:06:28 pm by J »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:38 pm »

What makes 40d7 run faster? Seriously, regular 40d gets me a max of 3 fps and 10 on good days.

EDIT: Whoops.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:31:54 pm by Jack_Bread »

Hardrada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:07 pm »

I'm getting a weird bug with 40d7 where attempting to build a wall on a square with items on it causes my masons to suspend the job at nearly done and report "Mason cancels Construct Building: Cannot reach site", despite the fact they can and will stand on and next to the site.  I've seen them move single items out of the way, and they've constructed up/down staircases which required moving two stones, although it's possible that was done in 40d, where this bug doesn't occur.
I've tried ordering the items dumped but dwarves assigned to nothing but refuse hauling sat around with no job showing.  If I load the game in 40d and unsuspend the job it's completed normally so I figure it must be caused by something in 40d7, although that seems illogical to me.

Edit: Now occurring in 40d too so not related to the recent changes.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:51:24 am by Hardrada »

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 07, 2009, 08:28:15 pm »

I kept an eye on that and it doesn't seemed to be related to a particular mouse movement, though I play on a laptop with a ridiculously sensitive trackpad so I will hold out till the left-corner mouse fix is in and report back about it. Thanks for the heads up and good work, 300 FPS on a starting river build makes me happy.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 147