Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

After experimenting with the options, how is 40d13? Problems only count if the defaults don't work.

Faster than 40d, no problems
- 42 (26.1%)
Faster than 40d, problems
- 72 (44.7%)
No slower than 40d, no problems
- 14 (8.7%)
No slower than 40d, problems
- 16 (9.9%)
Slower than 40d, no problems
- 2 (1.2%)
Slower than 40d, problems
- 3 (1.9%)
Doesn't work (please explain)
- 12 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 147

Author Topic: FotF: Help test the output code for the next version of DF (40d13)  (Read 373525 times)

shaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the fort: Help test the output code for the next version of DF
« Reply #675 on: January 07, 2009, 08:43:35 pm »

I'm getting a weird bug with 40d7 where attempting to build a wall on a square with items on it causes my masons to suspend the job at nearly done and report "Mason cancels Construct Building: Cannot reach site", despite the fact they can and will stand on and next to the site.  I've seen them move single items out of the way, and they've constructed up/down staircases which required moving two stones, although it's possible that was done in 40d, where this bug doesn't occur.

I've seen this bug too, in a straight 40d, especially with door and bed placement in newly-mined (and therefore heavily bestoned) areas.  Don't think it's related to the output code changes, since I'm still waiting for the Great Leopardification to be able to try them out on my Mac. :)

Mike

J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 07, 2009, 10:27:54 pm »

I realize that everyone is hard at work coding changes and new gadgets and commands for us to mess with, but could someone mabey edit the first post to say more about what you have done and what you are aiming towards.  Also any other information about what you are doing for those of us interesting in getting into this line of work some day?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 07, 2009, 11:04:27 pm »

Edit: To make Dwarf Foreman work in the .40d* series:

Copy "Dwarf Fortress.exe" to "dwarfort.exe" and run the latter to start the game.

Download and unpack Dwarf Foreman.

Copy this text into a file named "config" in the Dwarf Foreman directory:
40d2:
Code: [Select]
check=01807735
critter_start=014D1404
dwarfidpos=012DD2F8
profession_start=00000544
40d3:
check=0191B535
critter_start=014D341C
dwarfidpos=012DF310
40d4:
check=0190599F
critter_start=014D341C
dwarfidpos=012DF310
40d5:
check=019687A7
critter_start=014D5434
dwarfidpos=012E1328
40d6:
check=018D14AA
critter_start=014EDE3C
dwarfidpos=012F9D30
40d7:
check=01A78193
critter_start=014EDFCC
dwarfidpos=012F9EC0
40d8:
check=01860A3C
critter_start=014EDFCC
dwarfidpos=012F9EC0
40d9:
check=01318B82
critter_start=014EDFCC
dwarfidpos=012F9EC0

I will try to keep this post up-to-date.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:57:36 pm by 0x517A5D »

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 07, 2009, 11:32:51 pm »

I managed 40d8 to work with partial-print. Still has flickering in movie and during map scrolling, but with G_FPS_CAP:30 it not so flaring and quite tolerable, while give advantage of 20 fps.

Hardrada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 08, 2009, 04:49:57 am »

I'm getting a weird bug with 40d7 where attempting to build a wall on a square with items on it causes my masons to suspend the job at nearly done and report "Mason cancels Construct Building: Cannot reach site", despite the fact they can and will stand on and next to the site.  I've seen them move single items out of the way, and they've constructed up/down staircases which required moving two stones, although it's possible that was done in 40d, where this bug doesn't occur.

I've seen this bug too, in a straight 40d, especially with door and bed placement in newly-mined (and therefore heavily bestoned) areas.  Don't think it's related to the output code changes, since I'm still waiting for the Great Leopardification to be able to try them out on my Mac. :)

Mike

Gah, you're right, I'm getting it in 40d too now.  Does anyone have a workaround or is there a utility that can move/delete items?  This is really going to mess up my plans.  It turns out the no dumping problem was because I hadn't turned ignore outside refuse off - thanks go to the wiki for this tip.

Back on topic: in 40d windowed mode defaulted to hard against the upper left corner, and I set the size to cover almost all of my screen, now when I go to windowed mode it's down and in a fair way so I have to drag it back to see the whole window.  Is there any chance this could be changed back please?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:57:11 am by Hardrada »

dragonfi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 08, 2009, 06:00:03 am »

On Ubuntu 64 I cannot get the game to use the proper 32bit libraries.
I'm not sure if the errors are related to the libraries.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The game freezes the computer on exit sometomes, music keeps playing.
Althoug, it could be caused by my not-so well supported videocard(Radeon 9200).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:22:18 am by dragonfi »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 08, 2009, 07:28:19 am »

Mike

Gah, you're right, I'm getting it in 40d too now.  Does anyone have a workaround or is there a utility that can move/delete items?  This is really going to mess up my plans.  It turns out the no dumping problem was because I hadn't turned ignore outside refuse off - thanks go to the wiki for this tip.

Back on topic: in 40d windowed mode defaulted to hard against the upper left corner, and I set the size to cover almost all of my screen, now when I go to windowed mode it's down and in a fair way so I have to drag it back to see the whole window.  Is there any chance this could be changed back please?

Sure, no problem.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently, problem. SDL can't do it. Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:35:22 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Angellus

« Reply #682 on: January 08, 2009, 07:32:10 am »

Do mods work with this? ^^ sounds like a nice upgrade.

shaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2009, 08:04:40 am »

Sure, no problem.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently, problem. SDL can't do it. Sorry.

Yeah, SDL doesn't have any cross-platform window positioning (other than the silly environment variable stuff) but if you have a convenient place for an #ifdef WINDOWS, then SDL_GetWMInfo plus SetWindowPos probably works.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 08, 2009, 10:03:25 am »

I've tried ordering the items dumped but dwarves assigned to nothing but refuse hauling sat around with no job showing.  If I load the game in 40d and unsuspend the job it's completed normally so I figure it must be caused by something in 40d7, although that seems illogical to me.

Edit: Now occurring in 40d too so not related to the recent changes.
I don't think this has anything to do with 40d(?) but it has more to do with mass building.  If you try to build a wall on a stone/item that is assigned to be used or is unclaimed, it will tell you there is an item blocking the site.  I have this problem when I try to build walls where stone exists.  It takes the nearest 10 stones (for a 10 width wall) to one of the sides.  If one of those stones is sitting on a wall section to be built, the dwarfs will not move it because it's assigned to be used on the way.  I normally let them suspend it, use the stone further down the wall and then come back and un-suspend it later.

I think this has nothing to do with the interface enhancements though...  You may want to post a new thread as a bug.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #685 on: January 08, 2009, 12:44:29 pm »

I have the new Mac OS installed and am currently updating XCode.  Before I did that, there were some new compilation errors (it wasn't able to find files it could find on 10.4), so it looks like there may be things to be figured out, but I'm going to mess with it a bit more before I bother anybody.

The OS installation took a little longer than I had time available to stay up, so the dev update for yesterday will be up later, once I get back to the XP computer.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 08, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »

The biggest mistake of this thread is in assuming that SDL is in any way acceptable for decent performance.
SDL is a totally obsolete. It uses massive ancient code paths for what can be done in a few lines of code.
It's really poorly put together with major performance problems internally.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 08, 2009, 03:07:43 pm »

The biggest mistake of this thread is in assuming that SDL is in any way acceptable for decent performance.
SDL is a totally obsolete. It uses massive ancient code paths for what can be done in a few lines of code.
It's really poorly put together with major performance problems internally.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43

You could always port BC to SFML and prove your point...  :P
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 08, 2009, 03:21:07 pm »

Heh, I've never even heard of SFML before.  I've only done a quick glance around the forums, but it seems that SFML still has a fair number of bugs to work out.  There's no need for us to try to separate SFML bugs from the DF bugs, at least not right now.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I hadn't ever used 40d vanilla on this laptop.  I hadn't played DF for at least several months, since I got this laptop in August.  It's a pretty decent machine, so I'm sure DF would run well on it regardless.  Still, I'm getting very nice performance, though I've capped FPS at 200 for my own sanity (I'm still a newb at this game :P).  There's also no flicker or graphical errors with the partial-print and framebuffer options on. :)

Zoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 08, 2009, 03:33:58 pm »

Heh, I've never even heard of SFML before.  I've only done a quick glance around the forums, but it seems that SFML still has a fair number of bugs to work out.  There's no need for us to try to separate SFML bugs from the DF bugs, at least not right now.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 147