Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88362 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 56 - war.
« Reply #780 on: May 31, 2009, 03:51:24 pm »

Well, Palazzo, what I was thinking was, that if it were agreed upon, that whomever breaks the agreement would incur the full wrath of the Master of the Fleet, Aqizzar.

What you're not seeing josh, is that that sort of galactic policing is exactly what I just did, which mainiac is now chewing me out over.  When everyone believes in their own certitude, and everyone has military power, and there's no Space Jail, treaties become a rather tricky matter to enforce.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 31, 2009, 05:36:52 pm »

Cops don't shoot people who are doing exactly what the cop requests.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 31, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »

I requested that you not attack Palazzo's troops until the Noble was off world, because you can't differentiate targets in combat.  You attacked his stack with the Noble, so I did exactly what I said I would.  That Palazzo turned his "evacuation" into a rather small invasion doesn't change that.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 31, 2009, 06:02:42 pm »

because you can't differentiate targets in combat.

1) you mentioned no such concern
2) I did accomplish exact that.  Bombers don't attack nobles.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 31, 2009, 06:11:06 pm »

I didn't know that, I've never played Nova except with this game.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 31, 2009, 06:13:13 pm »

I didn't know that, I've never played Nova except with this game.

I feel so much better now.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 31, 2009, 06:16:09 pm »

I think I blew up an artillery tank and some siege units.  You are making way too big a deal of this.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 31, 2009, 06:26:58 pm »

I think I blew up an artillery tank and some siege units.  You are making way too big a deal of this.

...and a carrier...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 31, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »

Oh yeah, that.  Well I've seen your planets, you've got like a half dozen of them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 01, 2009, 06:39:04 am »

(Mlittle, I bet you've missed mainiac posting his turn. We're waiting for you.)

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 01, 2009, 08:11:03 am »

My turn is done and save sent to Aqizzar.

For Chaoticjosh:
We all have our hidden agendas so no one wants to really solve the Malignatious situation.
Mainiac has a lot of planets and an ever growing economy. His screams of injustice and playing defensive are to buy him time and him trying to appear weak.
Il Palazzo is using his noble as an excuse to launch a desperate offensive, as he has the weakest economy.
Aqizzar only cares that no one comes out of the Malignatious incident as a clear winner.
Me, I only want to make a profit out of it.

And hidden underneath this are the sercet agendas. The dark plans of Imperial domination. I know we all have them. But to not risk an assassination attempt, I will not discuss them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:28:29 am by Mlittle »
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 01, 2009, 08:52:55 am »

Quote from: Aqizzar
If Palazzo wishes to expand upon or conquer Malignatus, that is a matter left to his own abilities.  But the might of the Fleet will protect the Nobility of any House, when attempting to escape a battle they cannot hope to win.
Why is the Fleet interfering now?
Really, right now, both sides want to fight, and this is of no concern to anybody else.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 01, 2009, 09:04:18 am »

If Palazzo wishes to expand upon or conquer Malignatus, that is a matter left to his own abilities.  But the might of the Fleet will protect the Nobility of any House, when attempting to escape a battle they cannot hope to win.
Why is the Fleet interfering now?
Really, right now, both sides want to fight, and this is of no concern to anybody else.

Because you changed the situation.  Let me break down what's happened here.

-I'm appointed Fleetmaster, and promise to enforce some semblance of "law" by using the Fleet to punish acts of all out war.  This is hampered because the Fleet has to rely on everyone else telling it where units are, because I can't see anything.
-You landed some dorks on Malignatus at some point between the last 5 and 30 turns.  I was unaware.
-Mainiac moves to kick you off the planet.  I say leave nobles out of it.  He attacks said nobles, admittedly with weapons that couldn't hurt nobles, but I never risk my nobles in combat so I didn't know Nova doesn't let them get hurt anyway.*
-I fire on Maniac's forces around the noble, and said you could send some transports to remove him.  I say war is war, but let's try to maintain some kind of civility.
-You took my allowance of a rearguard to evacuate the noble as an excuse to land an invasion force.  While war is fine, this was still a gross disregard of the (my) rules.  The rapidly escalating scale of the problem leads me to declare that any further shipping activity is hereby off limits, and that you'll just have to fight with what you have.

Now I'm sitting in the awkward position of actually enforcing that.  Yes, it's clear that wars will be wars, and allowance must be made for conflict.  So my rules are a bit untenable.  However, there is the more temporal problem that you, Palazzo, started this dust-up in violation of my warnings at the time, but I only got the chance to actually damage mainiac.  Civility does include some sense of fairness.

*EDIT: Actually, I looked back the saves, and Palazzo's noble was a Blademaster.  Having actual combat stats, like a Close ability, can't they be damaged by any kind of offensive unit then?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:13:10 am by Aqizzar »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 01, 2009, 09:30:06 am »

I beg to disagree. You specifically pointed out that you'd enforce fair chance for any noble to evacuate and wouldn't interfere with conflict otherwise. I didn't break any of your rules there. I never tried to hide my invasion forces behind the Fleet's cover. You never differntiated between space and land units.
Oh, and this:
You landed some dorks on Malignatus at some point between the last 5 and 30 turns.  I was unaware.
Of course you were unaware, because I didn't land anyting there until last year.
That is, not since mainiac invaded MY planet, which I claimed on the very begining of the game, and on which I had forces since turn 6. Sir Robin and his happy entourage(which you blasted away yourself after they surrendered to mainiac) was continously staying on that planet since I shipped him there on route to Kish(which was like, nearly 50 years ago?).So, hey, cop-guy, why won't let me defend my planet from invasion?

edit:
*EDIT: Actually, I looked back the saves, and Palazzo's noble was a Blademaster.  Having actual combat stats, like a Close ability, can't they be damaged by any kind of offensive unit then?
You're mistaken. Sir Robin is just a regular noble. I've got no clue what saves you've been looking at.
And answering your question, they can be damaged by anything with close/psych combat ability. Which is why doppelgangers are so great at destroying artillery.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:36:35 am by Il Palazzo »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 01, 2009, 09:48:04 am »

Of course you were unaware, because I didn't land anyting there until last year.
That is, not since mainiac invaded MY planet, which I claimed on the very begining of the game, and on which I had forces since turn 6. Sir Robin and his happy entourage(which you blasted away yourself after they surrendered to mainiac) was continously staying on that planet since I shipped him there on route to Kish(which was like, nearly 50 years ago?).So, hey, cop-guy, why won't let me defend my planet from invasion?

You can't just call a planet yours and expect me to defend it for you.  You want Malignatus to be "your" planet?  Fight for it.  I'm not going to fight your battles for you.  I got all uppity because you pissed me off by using my allowance of an "evacuation" to send in more troops.

I will admit that I am not cut out to be a politician.  I don't know how to talk in self-serving doublespeak, and I don't appreciate it when others do so to me.  I'm well aware that admitting aggression as aggression will lose face, but I honor honesty above all else.  Sue me.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70