Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 70

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 63 - closing comments and analysis  (Read 88495 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM turn 38
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2009, 11:11:41 am »

It should be noted that the ban on fighting on byzantium is hard coded directly into the game.  It's not that you are forbidden from fighting before someone declares themselves emperor, you are completely unable to launch attacks.

As far as excommunication goes, all I can say is that I've only made a couple weak attempts to get computer players excommunicated in single player games.  So I can tell you that offers of a couple thousand firebirds aren't enough but maybe larger sums will do the trick.  The anecdotal evidence seems to support that the cpu responds well to huge sums of money.  For instance the Guild doesn't normally accept any deal with players (even cash for free!).  But I read somewhere that someone was able to make the Guild accept a peace treaty for several tens of thousands of firebirds.

Proscribed technologies are proscribed forever.  The developers of nova weren't fans of this, so they set the churches dislike of all technologies to either be 10 (proscribed at the start) or 0 (never proscribed), meaning technologies don't get proscribed over the course of the game.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 21, 2009, 11:57:33 am »

Turn done and save is sent.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 21, 2009, 02:00:29 pm »

I find this very educational, never again will I dismiss Israeli & Palestinian conflict with: "they should just talk about it".

Well, I think there's a crucial difference between Israel/Palestine and our repeated tensions.  Regarding Isreal/Palestine, both sides only believe peace can only come after the other side gives up.  They escalate violence because they think violence is the only thing that will demonstrate their resolve in the face of violence.
<pause for irony>

You and I both believe that peace is possible (as near as I can tell).  We just disagree on the terms that will make that peace likely.  I see peace as dependent on successful negotiation, i.e. the arms restrictions and spheres of influences proposal to slow the march to war or the garrison and payments proposal to make war prohibitively dangerous.  What you see as leading to peace eludes me, I must confess.  So far as I can tell you only want peace when it involves absolutely no sacrifice on your own behalf.  But at least you do actually want peace.

IMHO there is some silver bullet that will lead to peace between us.  Even if you don't grow more open to negotiation, eventually, I can find a proposal that's a net gain for you and allays my fears.  The only problem is that I don't know what that silver bullet is and you don't care.  Both sides are willing to negotiate for peace, so it's possible with the right agreement.

Israel and Palestine... well, there have been volumes written about what peace between those two sides would require.  And majorities in both communities do not wish to accept such requirements.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 21, 2009, 02:43:56 pm »

I was actually reffering more to the fact that both sides feel morally justified to act the way they're acting, and they seem completely unable to just skip the subject and look for some solution.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »

Well that's pretty much every war.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:00 pm »

Well, you've got a point. Perhaps it's just that the I/P one is so well covered by the media. We just seem know this war much more intimately and thoughly than e.g.the one in Afghanistan.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2009, 04:10:37 pm »

I find this very educational, never again will I dismiss Israeli & Palestinian conflict with: "they should just talk about it".

Well, I think there's a crucial difference between Israel/Palestine and our repeated tensions.  Regarding Isreal/Palestine, both sides only believe peace can only come after the other side gives up.  They escalate violence because they think violence is the only thing that will demonstrate their resolve in the face of violence.
<pause for irony>

You and I both believe that peace is possible (as near as I can tell).  We just disagree on the terms that will make that peace likely.  I see peace as dependent on successful negotiation, i.e. the arms restrictions and spheres of influences proposal to slow the march to war or the garrison and payments proposal to make war prohibitively dangerous.  What you see as leading to peace eludes me, I must confess.  So far as I can tell you only want peace when it involves absolutely no sacrifice on your own behalf.  But at least you do actually want peace.

IMHO there is some silver bullet that will lead to peace between us.  Even if you don't grow more open to negotiation, eventually, I can find a proposal that's a net gain for you and allays my fears.  The only problem is that I don't know what that silver bullet is and you don't care.  Both sides are willing to negotiate for peace, so it's possible with the right agreement.

Israel and Palestine... well, there have been volumes written about what peace between those two sides would require.  And majorities in both communities do not wish to accept such requirements.

Also, the Israel/Palestine conflict is so important due to its very symbolic location as part of the Islamic, Chrisitan, and Jewish world. The whole belief of Zionism is to have a homeland for the Jews, and where else to live in such a homeland rather than in a sacred place of Judaism? There is also the nationalistic element in there too: The Palestine question, before the 1980's, could also be seen as a nationalistic movement, to protect their own homeland rather than being forced off the land they always have lived on...

The IP conflict is so unlike this conflict, where you two imperialistic families guys apperantly are squabbling over a random planet, while the average peasents shurg and give their taxes to the winner.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 04:13:45 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 21, 2009, 04:16:36 pm »

I finally figured out how to get the game you guys are playing going on my computer, I think, thanks for the help Palazzo. I was completely taken by surprise at the chosen background music.

Frankly, it seems like a game on an epic scale, but also pretty complicated. I'll have to delve into some sort of written guide to wrap my mind around it. If another player just so happens to drop out, or another round is began, I may be open to play.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 21, 2009, 04:53:56 pm »

wait, you've got music?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 21, 2009, 05:05:45 pm »

Yeah, there's "Jenny on the block" and some other hip-hop style songs that play.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 21, 2009, 05:12:37 pm »

Dude, I think it's just playing the songs from the CD in your PC.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 21, 2009, 05:18:44 pm »

What... DAMN YOU 90's KARAOKE COMPILATION CD!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 21, 2009, 06:15:54 pm »

Don't be fooled by the planets that I got
I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the Church's block
(currently on sale for 50,000 Firebirds)
Used to have a little now I have a lot of followers
No matter where I go I know where I came from
(From the Pancreator)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 21, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »

while the average peasents shurg and give their taxes to the winner.

^^ I am Chi Koo of the august and pious Li Halan and I endorse this message ;).

The IP conflict is so unlike this conflict, where you two imperialistic families guys apperantly are squabbling over a random planet,

It stopped being about one planet a while ago.  Originally it was about Criticorum, but Il Palazzo never put a soldier on that planet.  Boski put an impressive army on Criticorum, but Il Palazzo sent his forces to the Li Halan home world of Kish.  Boski and I didn't weren't particularly aggressive towards each other, so the bulk of the fighting took place on or above Kish.

The second war was prompted by a dispute over Malignatius.  The respective fleets went head to head above that world and there was an intermediate campaign for control of the surface.  After that, Li Halan parked a fleet above the al-Malik home world of Istakhr and started launching raids on the surface.

So while the whole thing started in a dispute over Criticorum, Criticorum long since stopped being important to the war.  This map here from a game report on the nova website shows the location of the planets I mentioned.

Don't be fooled by the planets that I got
I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the Church's block
(currently on sale for 50,000 Firebirds)
Used to have a little now I have a lot of followers
No matter where I go I know where I came from
(From the Pancreator)

Huh?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 21, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »

I moidifed the refrain of "Jenny on the Block" to make it more PanCreator-friendly.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 70