Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pardon My Ignorance  (Read 2240 times)

Salbrismind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pardon My Ignorance
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 03:52:02 pm »

What's this talk of "release" you just mean a new version right? Or are you talking about something bigger?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 03:54:36 pm »

What's this talk of "release" you just mean a new version right? Or are you talking about something bigger?

Yes, it's a new version, it's not DF v1.0 or anything.  But the changes will be bigger and more noticeable than a lot of other new versions.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 04:09:55 pm »

I cannot figure out what that number on the left of the development posts means!! I skimmed each post with the number, and the post before that, for the answer. Am I missing something?

Here you go:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26921.0

Salbrismind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 04:34:38 pm »

Yes, it's a new version, it's not DF v1.0 or anything.  But the changes will be bigger and more noticeable than a lot of other new versions.

May I ask for a link to a list of the things that are being added for the next version?

-Thanks, in advance

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 04:36:21 pm »

May I ask for a link to a list of the things that are being added for the next version?

-Thanks, in advance

This is what you are looking for [Always check out the dev next page if you want to see the informations about the next version..]:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_next.html

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 04:54:41 pm »

And for even more time-wasting fun, check out the Consolidated Development Page in which Toady lists almost all features and bug fixes he plans on putting into Dwarf Fortress in order for it to be "complete".  These won't be complete by the next release or even 100 releases from now.  Maybe not even 1000.

Arcs are entire 'genres' of development.
Cores are important things that will define gameplay
Requests are things we have requested
Bloats are things that don't really effect gameplay too much but instead give DF that special "touch"
Power Goals are neat little situations that Toady would like to see the game capable of doing.

Salbrismind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 09:18:10 pm »

Thanks, there is quite a bit of information there. Any idea when the mouse interface is going to get done? :p

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 12:29:48 am »

Thanks, there is quite a bit of information there. Any idea when the mouse interface is going to get done? :p
Most likely after the Interface for key bindings and menus is finished.  Or in Layman's terms, before Toady dies, he will make clones of himself.  Full mouse support will probably take place during the 9th generation of clones or so  >.>

Another very noticeable change will be the underground diversity.  It will be kind of hard to ignore a cave river with subterranean forest growing next to it 5 z-levels down.  Or a giant crystal room 9 z-levels down.  Or at least, one can hope.
Thought:  If Toady puts in crystal rooms, will they appear high enough that they could be exposed on the side of a mountain similar to mineral patches?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:32:51 am by Kardos »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 02:00:22 am »

And for even more time-wasting fun, check out the Consolidated Development Page in which Toady lists almost all features and bug fixes he plans on putting into Dwarf Fortress in order for it to be "complete".  These won't be complete by the next release or even 100 releases from now.  Maybe not even 1000.

Arcs are entire 'genres' of development.
Cores are important things that will define gameplay
Requests are things we have requested
Bloats are things that don't really effect gameplay too much but instead give DF that special "touch"
Power Goals are neat little situations that Toady would like to see the game capable of doing.

Slight nitpick, but "Reqs" aren't simply requested items; they're required things for DF to be complete, but that aren't considered "core" items. The dev page defines it well enough.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 08:24:24 am »

Well, perhaps it's on the list of planned dev. items of the Presentation Arc.  ;)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 09:12:19 am »

Yeah, it is planned, although that stuff is somewhat low on his list of priorities, I think, which makes sense considering all the other stuff he has to do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 03:22:32 pm »

Slight nitpick, but "Reqs" aren't simply requested items; they're required things for DF to be complete, but that aren't considered "core" items. The dev page defines it well enough.

Whoops. Heh, I was going from memory...

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 05:11:06 pm »

Most likely after the Interface for key bindings and menus is finished.  Or in Layman's terms, before Toady dies, he will make clones of himself.  Full mouse support will probably take place during the 9th generation of clones or so  >.>

Another very noticeable change will be the underground diversity.  It will be kind of hard to ignore a cave river with subterranean forest growing next to it 5 z-levels down.  Or a giant crystal room 9 z-levels down.  Or at least, one can hope.
Thought:  If Toady puts in crystal rooms, will they appear high enough that they could be exposed on the side of a mountain similar to mineral patches?

A mountain-sized geode? O_o
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 10:58:08 pm »

Whoops. Heh, I was going from memory...
Yup, reqs is short for Requisites, not Requests.
Stuff he needs, not stuff we want.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2]