Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666255 times)

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #14595 on: April 12, 2018, 01:30:56 pm »

For Wu Jian may I suggest a MiFi with axes?  Not the most exciting but since you're going to be spending time getting up close and personal, you'll actually have the AC/Dodge/HP to survive walljumps and running into damage.  I found high damage weapons were pretty good because although you may end up with fewer attacks, you get to attack first, so if you end up !!!! exploding them from walljump/walk up, then they don't get to attack back. 

Of course, any style of Wu Jian it can be kinda tricky.  Either you explode that orc warrior on wall jump or you wiff on all your attacks and he sends you packing.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: April 24, 2018, 02:03:23 am »

Can Saint Roka level up? He's still got the same hps as when I aquired him as a follower. Damn he's a beast 129hps, smite, the spiders nest sword. Wish I could get him rfire but already gave him the sword.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:14:33 am by wobbly »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: April 24, 2018, 06:26:31 am »

Can Saint Roka level up? He's still got the same hps as when I aquired him as a follower. Damn he's a beast 129hps, smite, the spiders nest sword. Wish I could get him rfire but already gave him the sword.
While my info might be a bit outdated, yes, he can definitely level. He gets slightly lower HP than some of warlords you raise (who go up to nearly 500), but is still a monster (not that tormentors care much about orc hp).

PS. Give your orcs GDA. Let Beogh enchant it. Then go conquer Hells. Beware of Asmodeus, Cerebov and Anteus, though. Even Lom Lobon lightning balls poses less danger, as orcs demolish him in record time.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: April 29, 2018, 09:17:14 am »

the -7 cloak "Aneyse" (+3 Int).

wut?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: April 29, 2018, 09:31:53 am »

the -7 cloak "Aneyse" (+3 Int).

wut?
You get just enough Int on equipping it to realise something is really off
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: April 29, 2018, 09:46:10 am »

I think that's the highest malus I've seen on a piece of equipment yet.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: April 29, 2018, 01:27:33 pm »

I  was going to try this game, but I  then noticed that Nethack 3.61 was released yesterday.
For some reason I just know that no other roguelike will hold my attention as much as nethack.  And i still haven't ascended.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: April 29, 2018, 04:36:16 pm »

I  was going to try this game, but I  then noticed that Nethack 3.61 was released yesterday.
For some reason I just know that no other roguelike will hold my attention as much as nethack.  And i still haven't ascended.

After playing DCSS I can't go back to playing other roguelikes.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: April 29, 2018, 05:38:00 pm »

I'm inclined to agree; I used to be big on ADoM, but in the... oh, 15 years since then, I've almost entirely switched to DCSS, with a short stint in ToME. Nethack, even with guides, has always come across as utterly impenetrable, and too fiddly. Where DCSS goes, "Here, let me make that faster.", Nethack says "Have you considered strip mining the entire floor for an extra point of strength?"

And I was about to make a comment about their annual release when I decided to actually check--
3.6.0 - 7 December 2015
3.6.1 - 27 April 2018

Adding to this, the original Nethack appears to have been released in 1987, with "3.6.1 is the 31st public release of NetHack", making it actually just about a year, on average, between releases. (Including Hack extends it by a five versions, and three years.)

Edit: What.

"The following ports will be dropped from the next major release unless someone comes forward to maintain them:
Macintosh Classic [Sold 10/1990 to 9/1992]
16-bit MS-DOS [Fully depreciated in 1993, I think?]
Floppy disk support for all platforms"
(Removed a few from the list; commentary mine.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:48:20 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: April 29, 2018, 07:37:50 pm »

Edit: What.

"The following ports will be dropped from the next major release unless someone comes forward to maintain them:
Macintosh Classic [Sold 10/1990 to 9/1992]
16-bit MS-DOS [Fully depreciated in 1993, I think?]
Floppy disk support for all platforms"
(Removed a few from the list; commentary mine.)

You have to keep in mind it's been a pretty relatively short time since their development left a 12 year hiatus D:
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: April 30, 2018, 03:52:35 pm »

You have to keep in mind it's been a pretty relatively short time since their development left a 12 year hiatus D:

I had forgotten about the scale of that huge gap; all I remember was playing 3.4.3 for what felt like forever. And I thought DF v31 to v34 to v40 felt like a long time, especially since I was eagerly awaiting the updates that brought about all the awesomeness described in all the Future of the Fortress, and intermediate updates.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: April 30, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »

I had forgotten about the scale of that huge gap; all I remember was playing 3.4.3 for what felt like forever. And I thought DF v31 to v34 to v40 felt like a long time, especially since I was eagerly awaiting the updates that brought about all the awesomeness described in all the Future of the Fortress, and intermediate updates.

I started playing Nethack when I was like 13 or 14 years old (<10 years ago) so 3.4.3 was all I ever knew!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: May 01, 2018, 04:42:27 pm »

Nethack is probably one of my less favorite RL ever, can't pinpoint the reason but i hardly have any kind of even remote fun with it.

Returning to play a bit of DCSS like i do after my usual half-year going away from it, i've been running a gargoyle fighter and decided to go with the guy that gives you an ancestor you can decide to branch in 3 careers (i decided to go with a battlemage as i wanted some ranged firepower without having to use ranged weapon myself so i could dedicace skills points faster to other skills).

And i have been having plenty of fun with this combination, i'm now at the point the ancestor can use some lava bolt.
Too bad him learning that spell happened short time after we exited from the ice cave, but as i had 3 level of ice protection (a plater armor of ice protection + 2 rings) the ice cave wasn't much of a problem anyways.

Nearly died on the current floor i am due to a new monster (well new for me as last version i played this one didn't existed) , a " meliai ".
As the sprite looked like some big bee, i thought it was just a change of artwork and it was just 3 giant bees coming to me (as some monsters had new art since last i played) , only after i noticed my health taking large cuts and my ancestor getting destroyed i started to notice this wasnt a bee at all .
Those things not only strike with waraxes but they have a smite attack to kill you fast whatever AC you have (as they come in groups).

Used several potions to keep up with health until my teleportation scroll took effect, time in which one of those nasties fell to my +3 morningstars hits (didn't found yet a better one handed mace as it's my weapon skill of choice for this run)

I then came back much more prepared after that and with my ancestor help we killed them both.
Nasty critters.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:44:58 pm by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14608 on: May 01, 2018, 11:43:20 pm »

As I recall, which I'm pretty sure is wrong, they were the result of a merger between high level insects and those things you used to always find entire vaults of that would smite you into oblivion in one turn, buffing the insect but weakening whatever those were.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: May 02, 2018, 08:50:39 am »

just had a treasure trove drop manuals of dodging, short blades, and fighting, for my halfling fighter of Ashenzari.
it also dropped manuals of bows and summoning magic, and like four magic books.
all for 7 potions of agility.
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 990