Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066215 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30780 on: August 17, 2017, 08:12:44 pm »

There are some genuine advantages with tournament arcs.

I don't hate them but I will admit they... can be... REALLY REALLY lazy (FAIRY TALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Actually I really like Tournament arcs when they are done well. You can't really get the same level of back and forth in typical fights (unless you are "The Lost Canvas" in which case fights are Turn Based RPGs)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:14:49 pm by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30781 on: August 17, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »

I'm beginning Initial D. Anything I need to know before I watch it? Something like with FMA and FMAB? Or maybe there's a superior remake like with Jojo?

I don't hate them but I will admit they... can be... REALLY REALLY lazy (FAIRY TALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
What did Fairy Tail do wrong there?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30782 on: August 17, 2017, 08:17:22 pm »

Roughly how far along is it? I'd like to keep the manga plot ahead of the anime plot.
It's in the middle of its second season. The TOOOOUUURNAMENT AAAAAAAAARC!!!! concluded a few episodes ago and from what I hear it's considered to be one of the best tournament arcs in anime.
Okay, so I'm not caught up yet. I think I'm just barely beginning the "Tournament Arc" in the manga.

Might go ahead and start the first season, if only because I want to see All Might in action :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30783 on: August 17, 2017, 08:22:40 pm »

It falls down to opinion here because they did do a lot of things right...

But I'll put it another way: One of the greatest parts of the arc was when they presented a nearly impossible situation or fight... and the heroes curb stomped it! Since that goes against expectations.

Except it kept happening... IN FACT the only reason they don't win the tournament by default is because the judges screw over the team.

Then, of course, they push the breaks on the arc for a bikini contest that... Every female character in the show joins.

ONE of the fights has nothing happen... A guy punches another guy for 5 minutes... (And that isn't the ONLY "Nothing happens" fight)

The majority of the fights are curb stomps... and the show never EVER lets any of the promises actually go through. (I think only two fights involved non-curb stomps or autowins)

---

The good part of tournament arcs is seeing interesting match ups, strategies, and fights that you normally wouldn't or couldn't.

It is like a Sports movie... except an anime and an arc and with fighting.

How would Rocky have been if Rocky just punched out everyone in the first bout?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:25:02 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30784 on: August 17, 2017, 09:19:15 pm »

Take One-Punch Man as a counter-example. The main character, while occasionally displaying genuine heroism, is primarily in it for two reasons: fame & fortune, and the hope of eventually having a real, no-holds-barred battle.

I'm uh... I'm not sure you're remembering OPM correctly. Saitama genuinely doesn't care about his own personal fame or fortune. Heck, there's several scenes where he allows other heroes to take all the credit for his deeds. Heck, there's one scene where he's publicly ostracized and he tells them all off. HECK, the fact that he doesn't care about fortune or fame is in the lyrics of the opening song. Saitama's motivation is vaguely good, in that he defeats villains and saves people, but he mostly just wants to meet a challenge that is actually, you know, a challenge. It's hard to say how much he actually cares about saving people's lives, because his actions inadvertently kill a lot of people in more than one scenario, which could have been avoided had he simply been more careful with his outrageously overpowered punches.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30785 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:37 pm »

What helps Saitama is he has a genuine desire to be rich and famous and those are his goals.

Yet he will sacrifice them for others.

It makes his heroism much more poignant that the "Big dumb hero" who typically has no motivations beyond helping people. Thus his good is routine.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30786 on: August 18, 2017, 02:20:17 am »

his actions inadvertently kill a lot of people in more than one scenario, which could have been avoided had he simply been more careful with his outrageously overpowered punches.

i agree with the rest but if you're thinking of the part i think you are
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30787 on: August 18, 2017, 02:55:40 am »

Y'all are wrong. Saitama just does the hero thing as a hobby. He does want money and fans, but he doesn't want them super intensely. He doesn't want anything super intensely in fact, his character is largely about ennui (and isolation) so looking too hard for driving motivations is an inherently misguided method of analyzing the work.

On a different note, I just had over thirteen hours of air travel, during which I watched Keit Ai (aka your name), and the live action movies for both Ghost in the Shell and Terraformars. I would have watched Log Horizon, but they only had it dubbed.

Was going to say more but instead I'm going to sleep, I may add my feelings on them here tomorrow.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30788 on: August 18, 2017, 06:28:33 am »

his actions inadvertently kill a lot of people in more than one scenario, which could have been avoided had he simply been more careful with his outrageously overpowered punches.

Actually I was referring to

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #30789 on: August 18, 2017, 08:38:10 am »

Just watched the episode of LWA with Akko and the mechanic girl. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I was cracking up.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30790 on: August 18, 2017, 09:07:13 am »

That's a bit that I wouldn't lend too much importance to, since it was written when OPM was nothing but a quick joke; a one-shot.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:21:38 pm by Cruxador »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30791 on: August 18, 2017, 10:35:28 am »

Take One-Punch Man as a counter-example. The main character, while occasionally displaying genuine heroism, is primarily in it for two reasons: fame & fortune, and the hope of eventually having a real, no-holds-barred battle.

I'm uh... I'm not sure you're remembering OPM correctly. Saitama genuinely doesn't care about his own personal fame or fortune. Heck, there's several scenes where he allows other heroes to take all the credit for his deeds. Heck, there's one scene where he's publicly ostracized and he tells them all off. HECK, the fact that he doesn't care about fortune or fame is in the lyrics of the opening song. Saitama's motivation is vaguely good, in that he defeats villains and saves people, but he mostly just wants to meet a challenge that is actually, you know, a challenge. It's hard to say how much he actually cares about saving people's lives, because his actions inadvertently kill a lot of people in more than one scenario, which could have been avoided had he simply been more careful with his outrageously overpowered punches.
Dude, he joined the Hero Association for the sole reason that he wasn't getting recognition for his deeds. While he's willing to sacrifice credit and his own reputation when he feels others deserve it more, you can't deny that Saitama desires fame...if only to try and fill the void inside him caused by lack of excitement. Otherwise he would have stayed an anonymous weird dude in a costume.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30792 on: August 18, 2017, 11:35:50 am »

I need to go rewatch OPM, just so I'm not arguing from my faulty memory. It's good timing though, since i just finished re-watching MP100.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30793 on: August 18, 2017, 02:30:14 pm »

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30794 on: August 18, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »

Y'all are wrong. Saitama just does the hero thing as a hobby. He does want money and fans, but he doesn't want them super intensely. He doesn't want anything super intensely in fact, his character is largely about ennui (and isolation) so looking too hard for driving motivations is an inherently misguided method of analyzing the work.

He did do the C-class which was a lot of work... you don't really go through that unless you REALLY want to.
Pages: 1 ... 2051 2052 [2053] 2054 2055 ... 2193