Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066153 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30765 on: August 02, 2017, 11:33:37 am »

Ingested blood won't contract you HIV to my knowledge.
Unless there's some small cut in your mouth that you don't know about, which isn't rare.

Ingested blood won't contract you HIV to my knowledge.

Now that you bring it up, I'm not sure. A quick google search brings up conflicting information, but it seems to be that hematophagy carries either a low or high risk of contracting blood-borne disease. I'd imagine Stain would carry a much higher risk though, since he's fighting, getting hit in the face, and probably incurring a lot of scrapes and open cuts on the inside of his mouth.
Depends on the disease, I expect.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30766 on: August 05, 2017, 10:12:18 am »

From the CKII thread:
My Onee-chan Can't Possibly be my Liege Lord! (ANIMATE!)

Johann von Verlierer, a second year at Lords and Ladies High School, where premininent 1300's nobility go to learn how to operate in a fuedal system, has a big problem: His elder sister just achieved the "Duchess" rank in his school, which makes her not only his respected senior but also his Leige Lord! Will he be able to survive being his sisters slave for the rest of the year, or will he fall victim to her sadistic tendencies? Fortunately, he has support from his Peers, the loyal Peter Pendleton, his lazy best friend since Lil' Lords and Ladies Elementary School, and Isabella Dos'amore, his big-busted childhood friend who recently transferred into class. But will he be able to survive when a mysterious transfer student calling herself the "Holy Roman Empress in coming" arrives to sweep him off his feet with her cold demeanor? Find out in "My Onee-chan Can't Possibly be my Liege Lord! (ANIMATE!)"!

Translation by 4kids

I kinda scare myself sometimes. This sounds like it could be real...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30767 on: August 05, 2017, 10:24:22 am »

Translation by 4kids
*intelligible screeching*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30768 on: August 10, 2017, 08:32:27 pm »

If there is one fascinating thing about Baku No Hero...

It is that the villain's greatest success was entirely by accident... In fact they actively worked against it.

Kind of interesting that they aren't some sort of Super Duper super intelligent super connecting all powerful group.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30769 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:57 pm »

While the heroes are the super intelligent super connecting all powerful group.

But yea, its to showcase the guy is still a young dumb kid, just lashing out blindly.  At least at the point the anime is at.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30770 on: August 14, 2017, 03:36:23 am »

I mean, I always found the whole Chosen One trope in anime make me root more for villains. They might be dicks, but at least they earned their powers. I think the interesting thing about BNHA universe is that there's an inherent source of inequality in all humans, which the heroes must work using ingenuity and actual hard work to combat, otherwise they're just as bad as the villains.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30771 on: August 14, 2017, 05:04:04 am »

I mean, I always found the whole Chosen One trope in anime make me root more for villains. They might be dicks, but at least they earned their powers. I think the interesting thing about BNHA universe is that there's an inherent source of inequality in all humans, which the heroes must work using ingenuity and actual hard work to combat, otherwise they're just as bad as the villains.

Even if the villains didn't earn their powers... at least they aren't awarded a victory through the circumstances of their birth.

The more interesting part about BNHA is that the Villains are, in many ways, the underdogs... and are genuinely trampled on by society. They are the product of a super hero obsessed society that focuses exclusively on quirks.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30772 on: August 14, 2017, 12:51:50 pm »

Hmmm the latest Boku No Hero Academia episode...
Spoiler: Rant (click to show/hide)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30773 on: August 14, 2017, 01:28:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is simple...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30774 on: August 14, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »

Spoiler:  ^ (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30775 on: August 14, 2017, 01:48:19 pm »

It was a bluff and there was no point in continuing.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30776 on: August 17, 2017, 05:09:26 pm »

So I decided to start reading My Hero Academia, or whatever the heck it's called.

I like it, so far. Seems that superpower plots with genuine, caring heroes are becoming somewhat rare nowadays. Everyone has dark secrets or twisted motives, everyone's gotta angst, the idols everyone looks up to are frauds, etc. That sort of thing is fine, but the heroes in this manga are refreshing in how they act so...heroic. Not all of them, of course - if that Kacchan kid doesn't become a villain at some point I'll be amazed - but most of them. The idol-hero is either an amazing actor or genuinely cares about helping people. One dude has a game-breaking power but uses it primarily in natural disasters or search-and-rescue operations instead of battle. The teachers put their lives on the line to protect their students. The students (Kacchan excepted) support and assist each other. It's nice.

I'll probably start watching the anime before long, especially since I hear it's got a quality English dub. Roughly how far along is it? I'd like to keep the manga plot ahead of the anime plot.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30777 on: August 17, 2017, 05:13:32 pm »

Caring heroes exist but what you kind of learn as you go on is that there is a sort of... mesh of differing motivations.

The fact that they have to make money off of being a super hero means they have to do a lot of things that contradict the fact that they are a hero. Image starts to become just as important as helping people.

It is little wonder that a lot of the "truer" heroes in the setting are ones on the fringes who wouldn't be on the cover of a magazine. While the ones on the top are often somewhat corrupt or more concerned with their image.

---

Then again at times I wonder if this anime/manga is in PART a criticism of the Japanese Police who have been known to have to kowtow to public opinion and thus seemingly do more public relations then actual police work.

Though it is probably more inspired by that issue.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:17:44 pm by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30778 on: August 17, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »

Well sure, but that's already obvious and kinda to be expected. You've already got a few heroes (like Ms. Mount or whatever her name is...that growing woman) that are clearly mostly in the business for prestige. But the majority of the main cast have decent enough motives, which is refreshing for me. The main kid just wants to be a hero; the "why" isn't obvious yet, but so far he's mostly just a selfless kid that wants to save people even at the cost of his bones. His probable love interest *is* trying to get money...but the money is to support her family, which isn't the worst motivation. Their friend, the speedster, wants to continue the family tradition of hero-work and has been shown to be quite caring of his fellow students.

Take One-Punch Man as a counter-example. The main character, while occasionally displaying genuine heroism, is primarily in it for two reasons: fame & fortune, and the hope of eventually having a real, no-holds-barred battle. His disciple in the beginning was all about the pursuit of vengeance (he's mellowed out a bit since then). The vast majority of low-ranking heroes - and more than a few of the high-ranked ones - are clearly in it for the money, many fleeing from danger unless they are either cornered or convinced they can handle whatever the danger is. I'm certain there are more examples.

Now, I do like OPM quite a lot, but at the moment I'm enjoying MHA for somewhat different reasons. It feels a bit more...pure, I guess.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30779 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:31 pm »

Roughly how far along is it? I'd like to keep the manga plot ahead of the anime plot.
It's in the middle of its second season. The TOOOOUUURNAMENT AAAAAAAAARC!!!! concluded a few episodes ago and from what I hear it's considered to be one of the best tournament arcs in anime.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 2193