Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2044 2045 [2046] 2047 2048 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066758 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30675 on: July 08, 2017, 07:35:26 pm »

idk if those sorts of arguments are a valid reason not to consume a story. Because people don't consume heroic fiction to find out how it ends, they consume it to see what happens on the journey. So if there's some plot twist later that invalidates some cool shit earlier on (e.g. it was all for nothing) that doesn't by itself mean the story was "pointless" for the reader. The cool shit still happened, you still get to read about it.

"Spoiler": the hero is victorious. Wow, i just ruined all movies, don't watch them.

If you haven't watched JoJo and your main reason not to is some plot twist that will happen 100's of episodes later (once they get to that part) then you clearly don't get why people like JoJo.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:41:34 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30676 on: July 08, 2017, 07:37:52 pm »

Not what I mean. Too spoilery to even hint at more than I have... >_<

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30677 on: July 08, 2017, 07:45:30 pm »

i'm still arguing that your "you could skip most of it" argument is not a valid point.

The whole JoJo thing is about crazily over the top battles between larger than life people. A plot twist later doesn't mean you're not reading about said battles, no matter how much it overturns previously stated canon or "flips the board". You still got to enjoy the bits you read.

Your "skip most of it" assumes that what's worthwhile in JoJo can be summarized in a "story so far' blurb. That is just not correct.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:48:37 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30678 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:08 am »

That list is weird. Berserk has been running since 1989 and has 351 chapters out, more than Azum(i? a? something like that) which was on that list.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30679 on: July 10, 2017, 06:42:25 am »

i'm still arguing that your "you could skip most of it" argument is not a valid point.

Well imagine if there was a new Harry Potter book and in it "Maharizar" who is on Mars, completely isolated from the events of the previous books, gets a magic book that lets him destroy the earth and remake it in his image and completely rewrite history so that nothing in the previous books happened... and this change is not reversed.

You could just skip all the books until the Maharizar books. As outside enjoying them for enjoyment sake, the books no longer matter.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30680 on: July 10, 2017, 06:58:01 am »

As outside enjoying them for enjoyment sake

Isn't this the only reason to read these types of books?

Why the heck do you read fiction books if not for enjoyment?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30681 on: July 10, 2017, 08:25:23 am »

Not sure if it's 'anime' per-se, but Netflix just did castlevania?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #30682 on: July 10, 2017, 12:08:58 pm »

It's about as anime as Avatar (American writer, American producers, American studio), so I suppose we could enjoy that lovely argument about "style" versus "national origin" all over again if we really want.  I would politely wish to head it off by noting that it may not be entirely germane or productive to do so, however, given how rarely it ends well. :P

Still, thanks for the heads-up.  I mean, I don't have Netflix and I never really followed the Castlevania games, but I do like keeping abreast of this sort of stuff in general.  It looks like they already ordered a second season, too. ^_^

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30683 on: July 10, 2017, 12:09:58 pm »

It is a nice heads up anyhow.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30684 on: July 10, 2017, 02:17:34 pm »

Whether its anime or not, its a good show as far as i have seen, quite amusing with a oddly similiarly drawing style and humor to avatar, although the humor is much more muted obviously (seeing as its 15th Century Wallachia and all that)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #30685 on: July 10, 2017, 03:46:47 pm »

That list is weird. Berserk has been running since 1989 and has 351 chapters out, more than Azum(i? a? something like that) which was on that list.
The list is by volume, not chapter.
So even though bersek has 351 chapter it only has 39 volumes, one to few to go on the list.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30686 on: July 10, 2017, 06:02:02 pm »

It's about as anime as Avatar (American writer, American producers, American studio), so I suppose we could enjoy that lovely argument about "style" versus "national origin" all over again if we really want.  I would politely wish to head it off by noting that it may not be entirely germane or productive to do so, however, given how rarely it ends well. :P

Still, thanks for the heads-up.  I mean, I don't have Netflix and I never really followed the Castlevania games, but I do like keeping abreast of this sort of stuff in general.  It looks like they already ordered a second season, too. ^_^
Huh, I had no idea the Castlevania TV series was an American production. I even witnessed a brief sub-vs-dub debate regarding it and assumed it was anime.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30687 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:24 pm »

The list is by volume, not chapter.
So even though bersek has 351 chapter it only has 39 volumes, one to few to go on the list.
Was very sleepy and didn't catch that it was specifically by volume.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30688 on: July 10, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »

Well imagine if there was a new Harry Potter book and in it "Maharizar" who is on Mars, completely isolated from the events of the previous books, gets a magic book that lets him destroy the earth and remake it in his image and completely rewrite history so that nothing in the previous books happened... and this change is not reversed.

You could just skip all the books until the Maharizar books. As outside enjoying them for enjoyment sake, the books no longer matter.

Like I said, that's a ridiculous argument. Because like I said - the point isn't to see how it ends. The point of fiction is to experience the journey, even if you know how it ends already.

A later book blowing up the world doesn't invalidate what was fun shit in the previous books, not even one jot. If it was you could skip all fiction by reading the last chapter. Or read the synopses on wikipedia and skip watching everything. And almost no movie would be worth watching because you "know" the hero will win in the end. All the villains plans were a waste of time, because they were foiled. And you know they're going to be foiled. Every "monster of the week" episode is almost 100% guaranteed to have the monster defeated before the episode is finished. So watching any of those episodes is pointless. Likewise, almost every Simpsons episode ends up with the status quo restored. So why watch them unfold?

After all, everyone dies. Daily life drama is pointless because you know that they will grow old and die and none of it would matter. But people keep watching it. Why do you think that is? The fact that "none of it matters later on" isn't a valid reason not to experience the lives of the characters in the story, and the JoJo characters have full and exciting lives.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:13:12 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30689 on: July 10, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »

The point of fiction is to experience the journey

Right, and now there is no journey :P

I am not talking about a bad ending or "Their effort was for naught" at all.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:13:49 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 2044 2045 [2046] 2047 2048 ... 2193