Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067738 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28020 on: July 02, 2016, 04:57:33 pm »

Look I guess it is to say... I understand that the "Ice Queen" is a common character whose heart needs to be melted.

Yet Food Wars usage of it REALLY rubs me the wrong way because it just outright tells you she is the female lead and telegraphs her future involvement with the main character. It basically is telling you to forgive her behavior and often doesn't even give an excuse even when she is being a insufferable person.
Haven't watched S2 yet, but I thought Megumi was the female lead? Whatshername the big cheese is the antagonist. It doesn't really "telegraph her future involvement" so much as show her being won over by the MC's charisma.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28021 on: July 02, 2016, 06:11:29 pm »

Yeah so, i watched the first episode of the new berserk. Despite the trailer i honestly was hoping for something other than this...

Front and center is the absolutely awful, low framerate, low fidelity CGI with baby tier animators who don't know how to show weight in movement. The show would look better if it was animated in source film maker at a full TV friendly 26 fps. Framerates that low make me nautious. On top of that, the editing was downright awful, unfutting cuts to and from music, shitty pans, overall really horrible feel. Then you had the music... compare the music to the 1990 series music and there's no contest, as people expected, but worse than that the music is just bad. Very samey, doesnt fit the editing, same shit played over and over again and we're only one episode in.  The non-music audio editing is once again, atrocious, with sound effects randomly changing in volume and lots of random peaking for no reason.

So much worse than i expected. The only thing that shines through is the writing which is taken right from the manga, but even that suffers from clunky delivery and mouth animations.

There's also casca suddenly being white, and for some reason her
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:15:53 pm by Mattk50 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28022 on: July 02, 2016, 06:52:11 pm »

Wait seriously? Lol. That's even worse than the '90s run cutting out stuff like Guts having sex with and then killing the transforming demon at the very start of the series, or that monstrous lord having the town priest on his spear instead of a baby.

Oh, and that "wait seriously" was in reference both to the spoiler and to Casca apparently being whitewashed. The first I can understand in the sense that it's a moment of immense narrative significance, the peak of the mountain of emotional tension that was building between her, Griffith, and Guts over their weird-ass obsessive love line, but not in the sense of them getting away with airing that on U.S. television.

e: Okay, just looked up some gifs and clips. I think the second bit is more due to shitty lighting. There are a lot of shots where she looks white or olive-skinned, but in the shots that are indoors and moderately lit she's closer to her actual skin tone. Chalk that one up to shitty production, I'd say.

Unrelated, re: googling for references: jesus christ why the hell do you need a resin statue of Guts and Casca at the end of the Eclipse

is that going to go on your mantle

what the fuck

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28023 on: July 02, 2016, 07:41:03 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't call the 90's one good, but it does look better after seeing how bad the new one is.

Why is it so hard to figure out what Guts looks like?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28024 on: July 02, 2016, 07:48:28 pm »

Haven't properly watched the new Berserk yet or anything, but WOW is the CGI in the promos weird and clunky. I love the crosshatched shading (very manga, much stylistic), but the framing and camera work is awkward, and the poses and expressions look kinda wooden. Wonder if they were matching their CGI technique to the original decade too?

I just want to put my grasses on again.

My friends and I mondegreened that whole intro song when we were young'uns. It's still a Meme we use.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28025 on: July 02, 2016, 08:16:22 pm »

Haven't watched S2 yet, but I thought Megumi was the female lead? Whatshername the big cheese is the antagonist. It doesn't really "telegraph her future involvement" so much as show her being won over by the MC's charisma.
I haven't watched the anime at all, but vis a vis the manga the big cheese blonde is definitely the primary female lead. It's probably one of the most blatant bits of the entire story's construction, and considering the story that's saying a hell of a lot. She's in conflict what the MC, but it's more rivalry than outright antagonism, and there's gigantic gaping maws of foreshadowing she's the love interest. The extent the story focuses on or includes her (including her perspective) also gradually increases as the manga progresses. Pretty sure she gets more page time than megumi does, to boot, who while an important character is more a particularly fleshed out supporting member of the cast. Which is saying a lot considering the living arrangements involved, heh. Megumi's a friend, and definitely a vehicle the author's using to drive some stories/arcs/etc., but female lead she is not.

If there's a persistent antagonist, by the by, it's
at least from what I can recall, and so far as I noticed. I'll admit I was only half-heartedly paying attention to the plot, though :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #28026 on: July 02, 2016, 08:53:15 pm »

I might have to go back and rewatch it. First time around I definitely didn't get the impression of big cheese girl being the lead or love interest so either it's been changed in the anime or I'm an idiot, neither of which is terribly unlikely.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:54:57 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28027 on: July 02, 2016, 09:30:42 pm »

Look I guess it is to say... I understand that the "Ice Queen" is a common character whose heart needs to be melted.

Yet Food Wars usage of it REALLY rubs me the wrong way because it just outright tells you she is the female lead and telegraphs her future involvement with the main character. It basically is telling you to forgive her behavior and often doesn't even give an excuse even when she is being a insufferable person.

Whatshername isn't the main antagonist, she is the female lead. Your confused because she is a huge jerk and the major force behind a lot of people's misery and a few plots. It is why the series seems content to fill the series with more genuine villains then her.

But no, your meant to like her. Tsundere and all that.

Megumi is the "Secondary main character" but she is secondary to Whatshername... and is much more likable then her and Megumi is my favorite character.

Trust me, the anime would sooner remove Megumi then it would Whatshername.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28028 on: July 02, 2016, 10:50:09 pm »

Spoiler: TORADORA! Episodes 3- (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Planetes Episode 4 (click to show/hide)

I feel like our comedy is deteriorating

Something inside us is dying

Slowly we're just becoming those weebs who just watch anime on youtube and post their reactions like people care.......

But I'm having fun doing it so FUCK IT
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28029 on: July 03, 2016, 12:16:26 am »

Haven't properly watched the new Berserk yet or anything, but WOW is the CGI in the promos weird and clunky. I love the crosshatched shading (very manga, much stylistic), but the framing and camera work is awkward, and the poses and expressions look kinda wooden. Wonder if they were matching their CGI technique to the original decade too?

I just want to put my grasses on again.

My friends and I mondegreened that whole intro song when we were young'uns. It's still a Meme we use.
The whole soundtrack of the original run was just top-notch.

And yeah, that's exactly what I mean, there are these touches here and there on the 2016 reboot that say that someone knows what they're doing, but it's ruined by all the awful shit. FWIW the crosshatching, however artsy, is very true to the line-heavy art of the manga, or at least as close as you're likely to get with animation. Actually animating something that was anywhere near 1:1 on detail seems like it would be absurdly expensive.

aaaa no his chin is not a knife stahp

I bet they even managed to fuck up the classic "guy gets cut in half, goes in two different directions" staple.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28030 on: July 03, 2016, 12:22:42 am »

I'm going to go watch Gurren Lagann now. All of it. HERE WE GOOOOO
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #28031 on: July 03, 2016, 12:43:18 am »

Please post reactions here, it'll be fun to watch  :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28032 on: July 03, 2016, 12:51:54 am »

Ep 1 is down. The fuck was that intro? OP is nice. Believe in the Kamina that believes in you!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #28033 on: July 03, 2016, 02:03:31 am »

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK HE IS.

You know, Word of God states that he would have won that fight.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28034 on: July 03, 2016, 02:46:05 am »

Word of god also has something implausible to say about Yoko's age.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1867 1868 [1869] 1870 1871 ... 2193