Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1840 1841 [1842] 1843 1844 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065041 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27615 on: May 12, 2016, 02:41:10 pm »

I'd like to point out, though, that we do expect there to be an endpoint to a western novel series, even if it's far away and takes long time to reach (Wheel of time...) and people who just keep churning shit out (Terry Goodkind) are regarded as hacks, so it's not like this view is unique to manga readers.
Thaaaaat depends a lot on the genre, from what I've seen. Endpoints are not particularly expected in a lot of romance/western/etc. novel series. Being unfair, basically nothing except barely (or not at all) veiled smut is expected from a lot of those, but still :V

There's also plenty of stuff aimed at young adults* that just kinda' spools out until people stop buying it.

* A generation back, you'd be looking at goosebumps, hardy boys, etc. Zog if I know what's rolling around nowadays, it's been the better part of a decade since I've been inside a non-used bookstore, and I didn't even pay much attention to those things even when I was in the targeted age range. It's definitely pretty easy to see at a glance in libraries and such that there's a lot of areas on the shelves with thin-ish books lined up next to each other with similar spines, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27616 on: May 12, 2016, 02:42:32 pm »

@Frumple:Probably still Hardy Boys, Goosebumps, etc.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27617 on: May 12, 2016, 02:48:30 pm »

... I had thought the hardy boys had stopped publishing new stuff a while back, but actually looking at it. No, no, they're still producing. Have changed series titles a few times, but those damned things have apparently been churning out almost non-stop since goddamn 1927. Bloody hell. Friggin' things are older than my grandparents.

But... anyway. There's new stuff, too, I'm just not quite sure what they all are.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27618 on: May 12, 2016, 03:13:54 pm »

Well, I think the weekly installments thing is the big difference. In that regard producing a weekly manga probably has more constraints in common with TV production than it does with big, literary works where they publish one book at a time and have no schedule to stick to.

And one interesting about the "from the makers of X" type marketing, well, that sort of implies the general public only knows the work, not the creators by name. Much more often, if you have a translation of the blurb of some manga, they'll say "the new series from <author's name>", and that's all the need, because mangaka have a higher public profile in Japan.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:33:56 pm by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27619 on: May 12, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »

So uh, Macross Delta?

Seeing how IBO finished I kinda wanted a mecha fix (and not something I'd bingewatch in a single weekend, so the fact that it was ongoing helped the choice) and figured I might as well, since I saw a one of the mini series a long time ago and had some good memories of it.

I quit this halfway trough the first episode because it was so cringy to watch. I was expecting fighter jet mecha fights. Not sailor moon stuff while shoddily implemented 3d models dance around each other. What the fuck. Don't think I've ever quit a series so quickly :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27620 on: May 12, 2016, 03:49:26 pm »

Yeah Delta's premise really needs knowledge of the events and worldbuilding of all the preceding shows to initially make sense. The main Macross shows kinda alternate between being on the goofier or the more serious side between installments and so throws people off a lot too.

I can say however that, those bits aside, the mech fights you were looking for sortof started appearing in the second half of episode one, and that the show gets increasingly better after the first two episodes as the Valkyries (The plane mechs) and space war elements get more and more focus with each episode after them. The segments regarding them I've been seeing people make a lot of comparisons to Top Gun and Ace Combat, and I'd say even for people who dislike the idol stuff it's worth checking it out just for the sheer amount of detail that they've been putting into the fight scenes and the Valkyrie's models/movements/components.

Otherwise there's Kuromukuro which is the other mecha show going on right now. Not very military so far if you're looking for that, but it's fun and well put together.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:04:48 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27621 on: May 13, 2016, 01:59:37 am »

"template" vs "backdrop" <= isn't this some sort of weird semantic quibbling however? These terms in these sorts of discussions clearly aren't going to have any specific objective meaning.
It's kind of semantic, but it's the foundation of the discussion right now. So (if we ignore that everything we're doing now is ultimately just a meaningless way to fill the time before the final release of death, and all meaning is but an illusion) it's a fairly important distinction.

By a "template" in this context, I was referring to the rough idea of "one guy, X number of girls + situation", nothing more or less. Maybe that's a "backdrop" to you, but a "template" to me.
Well, that much is so vague and general as to be meaningless; that a series has a situation is a given, and the gender ratio says very little about dynamic, which I would consider the important defining feature of a harem. The "classic harem" would be the case in which the male, a nondescript Japanese youth, is the object of poorly expressed and often repressed romantic affection of the girls, which he does not openly reciprocate, though due more to social cowardice and incompetence than necessarily a lack of interest. Hijinks ensue.

But to me, I'd only use "backdrop" to refer to the setting, e.g. the backdrop is a space station or fantasy world. To me, the "backdrop" is more constraining of content than a story structure/template would be.
A template denotes a structure, an overarching thing with blanks which are filled. It is inherently constraining of content, and implies a strong unity of the main elements of the work with those of other similar elements. I used Dresden Files as an example earlier; forgive me for doing so again, but that's an example that uses a template well: The story always follows the same pattern, only the details are different, and yet each book is enjoyable. The works of Ken Follett don't always use the same overarching plot structure, but similarly share a lot of common elements that might be called a template. And pulpy romance novels do this even more strongly and across authors. Some harem anime do as well, but I think that's actually a rather small subset of the series which could be considered harem.

To refer to the setting, personally, I'd use the word "setting". I would consider it more constraining of aesthetic than a structure or template, but less constraining of narrative. Either of those could be called "content", which is a very broad term.

A "backdrop" implies the painted backdrop of theatre, which sets the [situation], but says nothing about what the story itself will be
Note how small a change I made to your definition, which makes it apply to the use of the harem in Punchline. Actually, I think there is an even smaller more appropriate change, but I can't come up with the phrasing.

Neither term has an objective meaning in this context either way. It's not worth carrying on a conversation if it's going to devolve to nitpicking over semantics though.
Well, I would have thought my usage was more or less consistent with general literary application of the terms, although literature isn't really my area of study, but no language has an objective meaning; it's all consensus-based so it occasionally is necessary to verify that we do have consensus. I suppose it's hard for me to assess the worth of a conversation; I would hold it to be intrinsically valuable (if we ignore that value is a social construct) but I don't think going over some definitions and terminology is necessarily just nitpicking, even if we have gotten a bit off of our original topic, as does sometimes happen in the course of discourse.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:03:27 am by Cruxador »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27622 on: May 13, 2016, 10:19:33 am »

On this week's episode of Space Patrol Luluco, she doesn't lose her way.

Spoiler: Wild Theories (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27623 on: May 13, 2016, 11:03:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Totally possible, honestly.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27624 on: May 13, 2016, 01:57:37 pm »

Why does anime always do that thing where it seems like somebody is going to break their moral code/disobey orders/disappoint their sensei/some other thing, and there's literally minutes of buildup until they pull the trigger, then at the extreme last second all their motivation disappears and it turns out they were never really going to do it all along? It's a crappy twist, and it's very annoying to suddenly have the entire conflict of the episode/movie/series/etc. just disappear like it was nothing. Like if, in the last thirty seconds of Revenge of the Sith, Anakin just kills the emperor and says "lol i was really jedi whol tiem!"

The specific example that made me notice this is from GitS: SAC, but it happens more than it should.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:59:51 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27625 on: May 13, 2016, 02:21:33 pm »

Watched Dead Leaves...QUITE a trip that one :P

Also My Hero Academia is fucking amazing and I can't wait for the next episode now!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27626 on: May 13, 2016, 03:45:05 pm »

Who knew thread actually burns?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #27627 on: May 13, 2016, 08:07:46 pm »

Watched the new Luluco episode. Laughed pretty hard. Did not lose my way.

Spoiler: actual spoilers (click to show/hide)
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27628 on: May 14, 2016, 07:31:41 am »

"HOTTER AND HOTTER! I'M NOT DEAD YET, CAN EVERYONE HEAR ME?" XD
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27629 on: May 15, 2016, 03:31:31 am »

Watched Konosube. Liked it. Any recommendations for similar animes?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 1840 1841 [1842] 1843 1844 ... 2193