Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1841 1842 [1843] 1844 1845 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064807 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27630 on: May 15, 2016, 03:39:13 am »

Why does anime always do that thing where it seems like somebody is going to break their moral code/disobey orders/disappoint their sensei/some other thing, and there's literally minutes of buildup until they pull the trigger, then at the extreme last second all their motivation disappears and it turns out they were never really going to do it all along? It's a crappy twist, and it's very annoying to suddenly have the entire conflict of the episode/movie/series/etc. just disappear like it was nothing. Like if, in the last thirty seconds of Revenge of the Sith, Anakin just kills the emperor and says "lol i was really jedi whol tiem!"
You say that as if, canon aside, it wouldn't have been a better ending to the prequels.

Like dude, Palpatine is obviously evil.

Edit: Not arguing with your point on anime, just saying if you take the prequels in a vacuum Anakin turning evil is the more contrived option.  Like yes he was a terrible jedi and grown-up Ani should have been expelled from the order halfway through the first movie he's in.  But there's a difference between "bad jedi" and "ruins everything ever for the sake of a plan that obviously isn't going to work".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:43:12 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27631 on: May 15, 2016, 08:27:24 am »

I see people are inexperienced with the anime concept of "A copout"

It is RARE that anime doesn't resort to copouts.

---

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
---

Not that this is unique to Anime... But I kind of hold the art form that has a strong focus on continuity in a higher regard for this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:30:54 am by Neonivek »

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27632 on: May 15, 2016, 12:05:51 pm »

Can't believe I hadn't spotted this topic yet. Not going to go reading through 1800+ pages of posts today, but hey, Anime!

Anyway, is anyone else here watching the new spring anime coming out?

I've been watching Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, My Hero Academia, Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-, Bungou Stray Dogs, Kiznaiver, and And you thought there is never a girl online?.

Any thoughts?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27633 on: May 15, 2016, 01:40:56 pm »

The main character SPECIFICALLY told that their technique can cripple them and render them incapable of moving for the rest of their lives? I have YET to see an anime actually follow through with this.

My Hero Academia
BFEL is eagerly awaiting new episode. I thought it updated on Sundays, I.E. TODAY but there's no new ep yet.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27634 on: May 15, 2016, 03:48:14 pm »

Why does anime always do that thing where it seems like somebody is going to break their moral code/disobey orders/disappoint their sensei/some other thing, and there's literally minutes of buildup until they pull the trigger, then at the extreme last second all their motivation disappears and it turns out they were never really going to do it all along? It's a crappy twist, and it's very annoying to suddenly have the entire conflict of the episode/movie/series/etc. just disappear like it was nothing. Like if, in the last thirty seconds of Revenge of the Sith, Anakin just kills the emperor and says "lol i was really jedi whol tiem!"
You say that as if, canon aside, it wouldn't have been a better ending to the prequels.

Like dude, Palpatine is obviously evil.

Edit: Not arguing with your point on anime, just saying if you take the prequels in a vacuum Anakin turning evil is the more contrived option.  Like yes he was a terrible jedi and grown-up Ani should have been expelled from the order halfway through the first movie he's in.  But there's a difference between "bad jedi" and "ruins everything ever for the sake of a plan that obviously isn't going to work".

Sith was a prequel, which constrained how they told that. It's not indicative of normal Hollywood endings. I got sick of Hollywood because of all the tacked-on "lol we're all ok after all" endings, which you actually see less of in anime. What you do see is more cop-outs in arcs that are not the final arc in manga/anime, but less cop-outs in the actual story ending.

As for why a serialized medium would have a lot of backtracking on ideas? It's no different to The Simpsons resetting every episode, except less frequently. People generally expect a story to stay in the same genre. Big story changes threaten the ability to deliver that. E.g. if you pick up One Piece in shonen jump, you expect it to still be about Luffy and his pirate crew, even years later. Bad guys might threaten to destroy the ship, but there's always some twist to stop it happen. If you've ever read or watched a series where there was a long arc in which they did something that's not in the core story's genre, you probably know that these sections tend to drag out and you're like "wtf when are they getting back to the <type of stuff this story is known for>". If that was a permanent change because "it's a consistent plot development" you'd alienate your readers en masse.

The "big threats" are needed to keep the story rolling, but they're never carried through. The real "Big Threat" is anything that would derail the story right out of the genre it's in. A main character permanently losing the powers which the series is about is way too far outside the genre: it can't happen, and you still have a story that makes sense to continue. But the powers need to be under threat rather than just given, because that prevents a Mary Sue feeling.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:10:57 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27635 on: May 15, 2016, 07:40:13 pm »

Someone please explain to me why the anime thread keeps getting derailed into Star Warts
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27636 on: May 15, 2016, 07:49:10 pm »

My Hero Academia
BFEL is eagerly awaiting new episode. I thought it updated on Sundays, I.E. TODAY but there's no new ep yet.

Depending on where you get your anime, it's up!   :)

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27637 on: May 15, 2016, 07:50:03 pm »

Someone please explain to me why the anime thread keeps getting derailed into Star Warts

I was wondering that as well, but I'm new to this thread, so...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27638 on: May 15, 2016, 08:11:56 pm »

I was wondering that as well, but I'm new to this thread, so...
I assume because it's a well known, large, and varied franchise, and thus convenient to pull examples and analogies from. And unlike comic books or all the other things we keep getting derailed into, there's no obvious connection to anime which makes it stand out more.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27639 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:20 am »

JoJo part 4 is really good.
Heck I'd say the whole "In exchange for your lifespan" never was followed through... but no, exactly one anime I've seen actually dealt with it and didn't cop out. (though I've seen two animes that reversed it completely in a throw away line.). Also no, this anime isn't Deathnote.
[/spoiler]

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27640 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:22 am »

So I was pretty derisive of Re: Zero last time I posted. I'm taking that back now, because the latest episode has seriously gotten to me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27641 on: May 16, 2016, 10:22:02 am »

JoJo part 4 is really good.
Heck I'd say the whole "In exchange for your lifespan" never was followed through... but no, exactly one anime I've seen actually dealt with it and didn't cop out. (though I've seen two animes that reversed it completely in a throw away line.). Also no, this anime isn't Deathnote.
[/spoiler]
But the story didn't explicitly and directly explain that that was the way in which the shortened lifespan expressed itself and subtlety in anime doesn't exist anywhere ever. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27642 on: May 16, 2016, 03:47:23 pm »

The main character SPECIFICALLY told that their technique can cripple them and render them incapable of moving for the rest of their lives? I have YET to see an anime actually follow through with this.
Spoiler: HunterxHunter spoils (click to show/hide)
  ... The world of HxH is still getting bigger, the manga just started up again after some downtime.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

granak1031

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27643 on: May 16, 2016, 04:46:23 pm »

So I was pretty derisive of Re: Zero last time I posted. I'm taking that back now, because the latest episode has seriously gotten to me.

I've been enjoying it. I like the concept, but I do admit eps 4-6 were starting to lose my interest. 7 definitely redeemed it though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27644 on: May 16, 2016, 05:05:06 pm »

Spoiler: FMA:B? (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1841 1842 [1843] 1844 1845 ... 2193