Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065080 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27420 on: April 30, 2016, 10:06:31 pm »

Schoolgirl gets reincarnated as a giant spider inside what amounts to a continent-sized dungeon, and things snowball from there. Gets a little silly later on, but the first few dozen chapters at the very least are really appealing, imo.
...this is looking pretty good.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27421 on: April 30, 2016, 10:57:01 pm »

Schoolgirl gets reincarnated as a giant spider inside what amounts to a continent-sized dungeon, and things snowball from there. Gets a little silly later on
That sounds like it'd be pretty silly from the start.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27422 on: April 30, 2016, 11:11:12 pm »

Eehhh... it's pretty amusing, in a kinda' fridge-horror "This is a narration by a cheerfully scatterbrained schoolgirl reincarnated into the body of a giant spider about hunting and murdering things", but still fairly... down to earth, I guess you could say? Like, you could see the series of events play out like they do pretty easily, with relatively little suspension of disbelief and whatnot. Insofar as relatively little suspension of disbelief applies to giant spiders in red-in-tooth-and-claw fantasyland, anyway.

Later, things still maintain largely the same tone, but the scope, I guess you could say... well, spoilers. There's not really anyway to say more without spoiling things rather massively. But it gets a little silly. Mostly in a good way, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27423 on: May 01, 2016, 12:04:45 am »

I'm finding the LN hard to read (maybe this particular translation isn't so good, but it feels like a scatterbrained, long-winded version of the manga), but the few precious manga chapters I've been able to find strike me as perfectly balanced between "Man up you stupid shit" and "Oh good more wank." The main character pulls off being an average nerd perfectly- not too squeamish but not too hardcore, not too smart but not too dumb, not too (un)lucky or (avoids) making too many mistakes, and generally just the kind of person you could hang out with without hating for one reason or another.

Compare this to SAO which is emo wank, or KonoSuba which is silly "Your harem will not take no for an answer, enjoy your complimentary shenanigans," and "down to earth" becomes a very apt description.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27424 on: May 01, 2016, 01:32:56 am »

Even if what you want is to leer at little girls, NGNL is probably not the best available show for that.

I'm hoping for an official translation of Overlord.
That's very unlikely to happen. What do you find inadequate about the currently available one?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27425 on: May 01, 2016, 01:33:46 am »

One thing to note is that Overlord isn't really the story of an MMO character; it's the story of a horrendously min-maxed powergaming wizard in 3rd edition D&D. He's ostensibly evil, and his minions are clearly very evil, but he himself is closer to chaotic neutral than anything else, occasionally even helping out the local humans, but always for his own selfish reasons.

That makes him Chaotic Evil in my book. Evil = selfish. Only doing "bad" things because they're bad, regardless of self-interest is Chaotic Stupid, not Chaotic Evil. A chaotic neutral character would act selfish or selfless intermittently. Alignment is all about motivation, not action. e.g. if there's a battle between to rival factions, an evil cleric could decide to heal up some of the participants, such that they wipe each other out better. The healing action isn't a sign of "good".

If on the other hand, he restrains his minions from doing evil things, for non-selfish reasons (i.e. stops them eating humans, just because) then he's acting non-evil.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:36:14 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27426 on: May 01, 2016, 02:03:13 am »

inb4 several pages of alignment argument
If on the other hand, he restrains his minions from doing evil things, for non-selfish reasons (i.e. stops them eating humans, just because) then he's acting non-evil.
He does help people for no particular reason other than being nice several times, especially at first. I don't think he really does it regularly enough that it outweighs the evilness he does though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27427 on: May 01, 2016, 05:35:01 am »

Is there a term for "Psychic Assumptions"?

One reason I like Steven Universe is that none of the characters are psychic (Ok... KIND OF!). They will make guesses but they are just shots in the dark, but often siding with optimism. It is kind of what I respect about the series, they are as in the dark as we are to an extent.

I am watching Boku No Hero Academia and wow are the characters making really accurate guesses about one of the character's quirk.

They don't make the completely rational guess/assumption that maybe their quirk works another way. Nope they make the incredible leap of logic and loop-de-loops to assume something completely unheard of and yet is completely 100% accurate.

It is the equivalent of someone getting a vaccine for Chicken pox but who isn't cured by it. For the doctors to somehow make the completely accurate assumption that this must be an alien form of chicken pox... Instead of the completely rational assumption that this is a different strain or that the vaccine didn't take.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27428 on: May 01, 2016, 05:45:41 am »

It's a flaw of bad writing that I always referred to as "Author Induced Omniscience/predestination" where the completely internal direction of each person's attitude and line of thinking is almost on rails towards an already determined point, or knowing things they could never know without either evidence or somebody telling them explicitly. It's something that took young me a long time to pick up on, but once I did I began seeing it everywhere. The most heinous offenders are probably the Super Hero movies of late that have the "Heroes" doing tremendous damage to areas and buildings, with the 'certainty' that there are no innocent people that will be harmed in their 'heroic' acts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27429 on: May 01, 2016, 06:04:53 am »

I'm finding the LN hard to read (maybe this particular translation isn't so good, but it feels like a scatterbrained, long-winded version of the manga)
The translations I've seen do seem a bit rough, but as near as I can tell scatterbrained and long-winded is a fairly accurate descriptor of a good chunk of it, heh. It's very stream of conscious-y with a narrator that's, ah... easily distracted? S'actually probably half the reason I liked it so much, though -- it's a fairly uncommon writing style (especially being not complete shit at the same time :P), and oddly pleasing to me. You really get a feel for the character just in the way the story's told.

... also I didn't even know there was a manga >_>
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27430 on: May 01, 2016, 08:28:07 am »

NGNL is the loli bathing anime because that's how they induct new members into the harem: fanservicey group bath time.

One thing to note is that Overlord isn't really the story of an MMO character; it's the story of a horrendously min-maxed powergaming wizard in 3rd edition D&D. He's ostensibly evil, and his minions are clearly very evil, but he himself is closer to chaotic neutral than anything else, occasionally even helping out the local humans, but always for his own selfish reasons.

That makes him Chaotic Evil in my book. Evil = selfish. Only doing "bad" things because they're bad, regardless of self-interest is Chaotic Stupid, not Chaotic Evil. A chaotic neutral character would act selfish or selfless intermittently. Alignment is all about motivation, not action. e.g. if there's a battle between to rival factions, an evil cleric could decide to heal up some of the participants, such that they wipe each other out better. The healing action isn't a sign of "good".

As Crux said, he's not really universally selfish or evil. He does bad shit, but he mostly does it to other evil fuckers, and he's done purely good stuff for no gain of his own--the first interaction he had with people in the world, IIRC, was saving a village from a bunch of knights that were sacking it. A lot of it's bleed-over from the fact that he's a fucking arch-lich or whatever from what was a coalition of extremely powerful monster-race players from an MMO with the set of traditional fantasy Good races, and his skillset and followers reflect that. I'm also wondering if there's some mental contamination going on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27431 on: May 01, 2016, 08:36:26 am »

The LN's actually entirely explicit that his new form is screwing with his head. Though less contamination and more, y'know, he's a goddamn skeleton and there's lots of little chemicaly-bits that just aren't there anymore, among other things. It's part of some of the more interesting bits of the LN, actually, going into how some of the characters, including the MC, are very much not human, even if they're close in many ways. Not really major plot points or anything, or I'd've spoilered it, but it makes for some occasional pretty decent characterization flares.

E: Seriously though, if you're looking to get into Overlord, read the LN. The manga leaves a lot out, especially in regards to characterization, motivation, etc., etc., and as I noted, insofar as I'm aware the anime's even worse than the manga on that front. The source material is kinda' the best incarnation of the thing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:42:26 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27432 on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:53 am »

Oh yeah! It's been a while so I'd forgotten that. Author definitely bothered to think the concept through at least a little bit before he started writing. I also like how the alteration of the main henchwoman's personality before the change from game to real actually makes him really uncomfortable on a moral level.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27433 on: May 01, 2016, 11:01:26 am »

He does just that. His minions are still evil, but he does his best to keep them reigned in. One of the struggles he faces is trying to keep up the persona of an evil Overlord while still being the good guy when he needs to. For example, the excuse he uses to stop his minions ask why they're not allowed to eat people is "I'm a human skelly; I was once human. It hits close a little to home, that's all."

On the other hand, he does act selfishly and often only helps people out to gain face with them. He feels no remorse when he kills, and isn't even concerned that he feels no remorse: he just thinks to himself, "Huh, that's funny, I don't feel guilty about killing these people at all. Oh well."
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27434 on: May 01, 2016, 11:14:16 am »

I'd been putting off Luluco for a while now, putting it off just because I'm afraid of being disappointed with the hype, and dang was that a bad decision. It's a big Trigger gumbo, just everything mixed in. It's like KLK if Mako was the main character instead of Ryuko. That ending song too, just magnificent.

Gonna have to get started on Kiznaiver next.
Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 2193