Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1826 1827 [1828] 1829 1830 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065309 times)

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #27405 on: April 30, 2016, 06:17:15 pm »

... that's the naked loli bathing anime, right? I think that's the only thing I can recall hearing about it.
Hey man, if that's the part of the show that was most interesting to you, that's alright. No judging.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27406 on: April 30, 2016, 06:20:06 pm »

Death Parade starts to go down around episode 5, I think they started to run out of original content and winged the rest.

Did we watch different episodes 8 & 9 or something?

What kind of crap show takes twelve episodes to get good... I'll still watch it, because this show is crazy popular, but geez. How do people force themselves to watch through the boring crap? You'd think if a show started out boring it would stay boring. I'm sure it'll all get tied together in a neat little bow and the beginning making me want to fall asleep will be totally justified and I will feel ashamed of myself.

It's only a little slow. Mostly it's the cliched characters that are getting to me. These archetypes are so fucking played out it's driving me insane, but Furtuka assures me that interesting stuff happens so I'm gonna keep going. If I die, we know whose fault it is.

The problem with Steins;Gate is that it tried to fit a whole bunch of VN endings into the same show, making it feel inconsistent and jumpy.
Instead of properly developing one plot line, it tries to make you feel for like six at the same time, and none of them get enough time to actually invoke what they are trying to do.
It's definitely overrated by people, and some of the characters are just... not very interesting.

The part I liked best was the jokes, honestly, but if you aren't enjoying it by now you aren't going to like it by the end.

... that's the naked loli bathing anime, right? I think that's the only thing I can recall hearing about it.

That show is bad; the premise is "We are a team that can never lose, so we'll Deus Ex Machina break the rules whenever we need to and make sure we always win, no matter how contrived the reason is."
Not to mention the massive amounts of fanservice for pretty much every female character, some of which is basically illegal in my country, and the stereotypical "otaku goes to a fantasy world and becomes a god due to his gaming skillz" stuff you see in plenty of stuff nowadays.

Hey man, if that's the part of the show that was most interesting to you, that's alright. No judging.

Don't they do it like three times at least? It's hard to ignore it by that point.
Clearly the author was looking to appeal to a very specific demographic, and this comes off as pretty distasteful to anyone who isn't a part of that.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27407 on: April 30, 2016, 06:47:48 pm »

NGNL is basically garbage, but there are two things it actually does well. The first being fanservice; if you like lolis bathing and big-boobed bimbos then 10/10. The second is the incredibly silly and absurd games.
Everything else is terrible. The MCs are as much of a Sue as you can get, the plot is essentially irrelevant, and none of the characters have any character. I still found it fun to watch (although I think I had a fever at the time).
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #27408 on: April 30, 2016, 07:02:35 pm »

...and the stereotypical "otaku goes to a fantasy world and becomes a god due to his gaming skillz" stuff you see in plenty of stuff nowadays...
That reminds me, I've been thinking of a hypothetical anime where this happens but instead of just being good, they completely demolish the game ala Ocarina of Time/Super Mario 64 with exploits and stuff.  Imagine in Log Horizon if instead of riding the griffons or whatever they wavedashed everywhere.  I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF HOW SOMEONE WOULD ANIMATE WAVEDASHING.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27409 on: April 30, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

Boring? Steins;Gate was intriguing from the first episode. But maybe that's because I was weaned on Golden Age SF that was less "pew pew" and more sociopolitical commentary and exploration of ideas.

And yeah, Log Horizon is the only decent "into le mmo" anime made in the past few years, but it's decidedly not about power-wanking or shonenisms which tends to make it unpopular with folks that *snrk* liked SAO, Overlord, &c.
The main character is crazy and an incompetent. The only time he got to show off his intellect in his debate with the one lady, he was dunked on, and all I know right now is that there's some kind of time travel shenanigans going on. He keeps talking about the Organization but, like the people around him, I have no idea what the fuck he's actually droning on about and thus don't have any reason to give a crap.

I've never seen SAO or Overlord, but I read a lot of Chinese sucked-into-an-MMO webnovels because of adwarf, thus Log Horizon doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly special from my perspective.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27410 on: April 30, 2016, 07:05:28 pm »

You seem to have remembered a lot more hard-to-ignore things than just the lolishit, Hawkfrost.

That show was dumb, and the otaku pandering -- not even the fanservice, just the blatant endorsement of the NEET lifestyle -- was especially dumb, but I still had fun. To me, it was everything Yu-Gi-Oh should have been. Of course, it was also a lot of things that Yu-Gi-Oh fortunately wasn't, but the whole premise of solving disputes through a variety of different simple games with incredibly high stakes intrigues me. And even if the protagonists are invincible at the games, at least the show is honest about that fact. It's not something I would watch again, but it didn't, for example, feel like the humongous waste of time that SAO did.

The I think the word that best describes NGNL is "trashy": stupid and sleazy, but not necessarily completely without merit.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:12:20 pm by Madmachine »
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27411 on: April 30, 2016, 07:22:01 pm »

I've seen SAO but not Overlord, is the latter any good? Not expecting another log horizon or anything with that comparison.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #27412 on: April 30, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »

Overlord is okay. If you really don't like it, you'll know after watching 2-3 episodes. I think some people severely overrated it, though.

The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27413 on: April 30, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »

Boring? Steins;Gate was intriguing from the first episode. But maybe that's because I was weaned on Golden Age SF that was less "pew pew" and more sociopolitical commentary and exploration of ideas.

And yeah, Log Horizon is the only decent "into le mmo" anime made in the past few years, but it's decidedly not about power-wanking or shonenisms which tends to make it unpopular with folks that *snrk* liked SAO, Overlord, &c.
The main character is crazy and an incompetent. The only time he got to show off his intellect in his debate with the one lady, he was dunked on, and all I know right now is that there's some kind of time travel shenanigans going on. He keeps talking about the Organization but, like the people around him, I have no idea what the fuck he's actually droning on about and thus don't have any reason to give a crap.

I've never seen SAO or Overlord, but I read a lot of Chinese sucked-into-an-MMO webnovels because of adwarf, thus Log Horizon doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly special from my perspective.

The main character isn't really incompetent, but you wouldn't know that much from the anime, as it skims a lot of the science from the VN. However, the pacing is horrible, and there's only so much delusion you can handle from one man before he starts to grate. And it takes quite a long time for the payoff to take effect.

There's a reason for his zany schemes, but I wouldn't really bank on it as a justification, because I find his chuunibyou personality annoying and contributing 0 content to the plot.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27414 on: April 30, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »

One thing to note is that Overlord isn't really the story of an MMO character; it's the story of a horrendously min-maxed powergaming wizard in 3rd edition D&D. He's ostensibly evil, and his minions are clearly very evil, but he himself is closer to chaotic neutral than anything else, occasionally even helping out the local humans, but always for his own selfish reasons.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #27415 on: April 30, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »

Overlord is pretty decent. It didn't hold my interest so I dropped it pretty quick but there's not really any major criticisms I can give it. Vastly superior to SAO, in any case.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27416 on: April 30, 2016, 08:13:15 pm »

I've seen SAO but not Overlord, is the latter any good? Not expecting another log horizon or anything with that comparison.
The LN's pretty nice, imo. Liked what I've read of it better than what I've read of the manga, and from what folks here have said the anime basically is the manga, but shallower.

SAO... I haven't seen any SAO, but from what I've picked up, while the overall plot and a lot of stuff is actually pretty compelling, there's... issues... with the actual material. Some seasons are apparently better about that than others, avoid supplementary material like the plague unless you want a story where the MC screws his might-as-well-be sister, among myriad other things including elementary/middle schoolers. There's some damn nice fanfiction involving it, though. Kinda' like ZnT, really.

Also, @the NGNL discussion, I think the entirety of it I've been exposed to was like a seven minute youtube clip I don't recall the contents of. I remember it as the loli bathing anime because that seems to be what's always mentioned first when its apparently myriad flaws are referenced, which also seems to be basically any time it's mentioned :P

I read a lot of Chinese sucked-into-an-MMO webnovels because of adwarf
Any in particular you'd recommend? I've read a fair ton of the stuff (and the very similarly styled reincarnation material*) myself, but it's always good to pick up more :3

*Speaking of which, if anyone's interested in an example of that that's light hearted and rather amusingly murderous, I'd recommend "Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?" Schoolgirl gets reincarnated as a giant spider inside what amounts to a continent-sized dungeon, and things snowball from there. Gets a little silly later on, but the first few dozen chapters at the very least are really appealing, imo.

E: Also something interesting I've noticed in line with that sort of thing is that there seems to be a developing genre of characters reincarnated into otome (i.e. dating sims aimed at a female audience) games. They're, uh. Oddly compelling? Almost deconstructive, but at the same time often very true to the general thrust of the game style itself. It's a neat glimpse into a corner of the literary/gaming world I haven't seen much of personally!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:19:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27417 on: April 30, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »

Any in particular you'd recommend? I've read a fair ton of the stuff (and the very similarly styled reincarnation material*) myself, but it's always good to pick up more :3
Shoot adwarf a PM and tell him I sent you, and he will be more than happy to shower you in recommendations! That man is a Chinese fiction consuming machine.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27418 on: April 30, 2016, 09:16:07 pm »

Mm, Overlord basically falls under "not great, not terrible". The anime's generally a little worse than the source material on all counts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27419 on: April 30, 2016, 09:18:26 pm »

I'm hoping for an official translation of Overlord.

Pages: 1 ... 1826 1827 [1828] 1829 1830 ... 2193