Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1727 1728 [1729] 1730 1731 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058277 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #25920 on: January 09, 2016, 10:27:23 pm »

Musaigen no Phantom World - unwatchable school club drek. You can't really tell from the synopsis but you can tell from the artwork. http://myanimelist.net/anime/31442/Musaigen_no_Phantom_World
Basic no-personality highschool boy recruits a club full of magical moe highschool girls to hunt phantoms who appear at random to annoy people. Later, they fight an evil conspiracy. Forgettable utter shit in other words.
I dunno, I enjoyed the first episode. The show's at least a little bit self-aware, and pokes fun at various anime tropes. But then it proceeds to follow through with the exact things it was poking fun at moments prior, so YMMV.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25921 on: January 09, 2016, 10:31:09 pm »

jokingly pointing out that your show is cliched has itself become a cliche. And it could be construed as extra-lazy writing, since you don't have to expend any effort setting up the "wow! that sort of thing only happens in anime" "joke", it's not actually funny, and it's just additional time-filler material.

It's only satire if you subvert the trope in some original way.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:33:51 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25922 on: January 09, 2016, 10:33:31 pm »

Dual Masters was a Wizards of the Coast attempt to market a card game in Japan. After Magic made it there it kindof lost its purpose and was discontinued at some point last year.

That said, I think it did do something right
That's neat, but doesn't that mean you can't really shuffle them unless they're all tri-faced?

I dunno, I enjoyed the first episode. The show's at least a little bit self-aware, and pokes fun at various anime tropes. But then it proceeds to follow through with the exact things it was poking fun at moments prior, so YMMV.
jokingly pointing out that your show is cliched has itself become a cliche.
This is what I hate about parody in general. More often than not it seems like an excuse to say "So we know this is bad, but we wanna do it...  soooooooooo we're doing it but only to show how bad it is, ha ha, get it..."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25923 on: January 09, 2016, 10:34:21 pm »

I think they're probably special cards that start outside of your deck.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25924 on: January 09, 2016, 11:01:57 pm »

New season of GATE has begun, and we managed to go a whole episode without Itami pulling something out of his arse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25925 on: January 09, 2016, 11:52:49 pm »

Luck and Logic - looks terrible. "Logic" unfortunately doesn't mean any sort of "logic": in this series "Logic" is a magical energy field which is the energy source for monsters and also powers super punches and the like. So, your basic organization of super-hero teenagers who fight monsters from another dimension. Oh, and your Logic-powers disspate when you turn 18 so all the heroes have to be schoolkids by definition. And in another unfortunate turn of Engrish, the monsters are known as "Foreigners", so you have dialogue warning residents not to go out into the street because there's a "Foreigner" and "The Foreigner has not yet been secured, please continue to be watchful".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:00:38 am by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25926 on: January 10, 2016, 12:06:48 am »

Luck and Logic - looks terrible. "Logic" unfortunately doesn't mean any sort of "logic": in this series "Logic" is a magical energy field which is the energy source for monsters and also powers super punches and the like. So, your basic organization of super-hero teenagers who fight monsters from another dimension. Oh, and your Logic-powers disspate when you turn 18 so all the heroes have to be schoolkids by definition. And in another unfortunate turn of Engrish, the monsters are known as "Foreigners", so you have dialogue warning residents not to go out into the street because there's a "Foreigner" and "The Foreigner has not yet been secured, please continue to be watchful".
I'm sorry, but a show where kids use logic to make foreigners leave sounds like it would be hilarious. (Well, it sounds like one of those things that you would laugh about watching and then feel really guilty that you found it that funny. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25927 on: January 10, 2016, 12:09:29 am »

I'm sorry, but a show where kids use logic to make foreigners leave sounds like it would be hilarious. (Well, it sounds like one of those things that you would laugh about watching and then feel really guilty that you found it that funny. :P)
Kid-rated Racist/Nationalist Investigation Squad go!!!

"So you see Mister Johnson, that's why you should go back to your own country!"
"Well golly kids, never thought of it like that. Guess it's back to leeching off me own kind again for me!"
"Yeah, we made a difference!"

Cue really upbeat music.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25928 on: January 10, 2016, 01:47:00 am »

:facepalm.gif:
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25929 on: January 10, 2016, 01:50:14 am »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25930 on: January 10, 2016, 02:35:28 am »

jokingly pointing out that your show is cliched has itself become a cliche. And it could be construed as extra-lazy writing, since you don't have to expend any effort setting up the "wow! that sort of thing only happens in anime" "joke", it's not actually funny, and it's just additional time-filler material.

It's only satire if you subvert the trope in some original way.

It is more that pointing out how you are being lazy doesn't make your show not lazy.

One Punch Man points out all the lazy aspects of their manga/webcomic/anime but the difference is well
A) They do something with it and use it for story development.
and more importantly
B) One Punch Man is better written, deeper, and more consistent then what it is a parody of.

The cliché isn't so much a cliché but rather it has been an observation that many people try to hide their incompetence with self-awareness. So people have started to find it tiring.

People still do find an honest to goodness parody to be enjoyable. Yet the problem is that most parodies are trying to be worse then what they are a parody of, rather then being a stylish suck like say... Excel Saga was.

Also now I see why Neo keeps saying it's gotta, gotta be parody yet isn't. If they made a One Punch Man equivalent of this sort of thing I'm pretty sure it'd go exactly the same.

The Greatest Parody manga ever made... that isn't a parody.

I honestly cannot think of a single thing that would change if it was a real parody. Frankly I am astonished it isn't beloved by the manga community for being a great unintentional parody or hilarious train wreck.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:38:28 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25931 on: January 10, 2016, 03:01:34 am »

"yes because technobabbel we must containz ur powerssssss"

I give up.

Uhh, yeah so they contained his powers and made the "key" be a totally unhinged yandere schoolgirl. It all makes sense now.

And for anyone wondering why there's no season two, where do you go after you have a flying demi-god who can nuke cities at will and raise the dead ad infinitum? What do you do to top that?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:04:33 am by Reelya »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25932 on: January 10, 2016, 03:17:07 am »

You go the Gurren Lagann way.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25933 on: January 10, 2016, 05:06:01 am »

PSO2 Animation - EP1 (Part 1 of 2)

the horror begins

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:12:48 am by Trapezohedron »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25934 on: January 10, 2016, 05:14:16 am »

I hope the school's cafeteria serves Chili dogs and the track has a checkered pattern loopdyloop.
Pages: 1 ... 1727 1728 [1729] 1730 1731 ... 2193